Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding weight to an hs stock

Basic Member

Adding weight to an hs stock

Okay can someone point me to a thread that talks about this? My stick weighs about 14# right now I want it to weigh close to 18#. Thanks. Dan

Basic Member
    help for a noob with stock questions

I hear that. 308 is a nice all around caliber and can be fun to shoot. Mine is a 12FV 26" Varmint so it is a little more of a pleasure to shoot then the sporter for extended range sessions. I have been leaning more towards my 243AI and my 6BR as of lately so the 308 has had a break from the range so far this year.

If you are shooting off of a bipod or front rest, stiffening the forend is a must with the Savage Synthetic Stocks. Your groups will shirink. Until you get it done be sure to put your rest or sandbags closer to the action to reduce the flex in the forend.

You could also buy some lead shot and some 2-part epoxy and mix it up and put it in the rear of the stock to add some weight. Mix up a little at a time and just keep adding until you get to where you want to be.

Never mind. I think I got my answer here. Thanks BOOTS. Dan

Basic Member
    The only thing I'm still wondering about is, will the epoxy get to hot and damage the stock?

Does this sound like a one sided thread? LOL. Sorry. Dan

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    The only thing I'm still wondering about is, will the epoxy get to hot and damage the stock?

Does this sound like a one sided thread? LOL. Sorry. Dan
    I've done it to a factory stock with no signs of damage.

Basic Member
    I made a mixture of paraffin wax and #8 shot before and poured into the buttstock on my Savage MKII-FV until I got the balance/weight of the rifle right. Then packed the rest of the buttstock with polyfill. Got rid of the hollow sound and got rid of the ridiculously nose heavy feel the rifle had.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatphatboy88 View Post
    I made a mixture of paraffin wax and #8 shot before and poured into the buttstock on my Savage MKII-FV until I got the balance/weight of the rifle right. Then packed the rest of the buttstock with polyfill. Got rid of the hollow sound and got rid of the ridiculously nose heavy feel the rifle had.
    You know, I think thats what I'm going to try. I'm wondering if it will stay ridge enough? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Second thought, I think a hot day could turn that stick into a baby rattle! Oh well back to the epoxy.

Basic Member
    Try the lead shot and expanding foam like Great Stuff. The overflow can be cut off and the pad replaced. Just make sure you plug the screw holes first.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhoover1973 View Post
    Try the lead shot and expanding foam like Great Stuff. The overflow can be cut off and the pad replaced. Just make sure you plug the screw holes first.
    I'm looking at that. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhoover1973 View Post
    I tried that and got voids in the foam and the bb's rattled around.

Basic Member
    Okay, back to the epoxy.

Basic Member
    The wax hasnt melted in my gun yet, but I also havent taken it out on 100+ degree days. You could always use the wax, then once it has cooled, put a layer of epoxy on top to seal it in. Wax is a lot cheaper than epoxy. And if you ever decide to remove it you could just drill through the layer of epoxy and take a hair dryer to the stock and melt it out.

wlleven
    Okay can someone point me to a thread that talks about this? My stick weighs about 14# right now I want it to weigh close to 18#. Thanks. Dan
    OK, I just came up with a brilliant idea.....How about u take the shot/? and put it in a small bag that fits in the stock or ? You can take it out, no epoxy and you can fill it so it does not rattle. You can use lead, sand or ?, to get the weight you want. Also the material in the bag
    would tend to act as a buffer against recoil as it is free floating and not attached to the stock....sort of like a dead blow hammer.

Wait, how about using a sock :-), brilliant, just brilliant, lol, lol,lol

OK, it is back to the laboratory for me :- )

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 11-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Basic Member
    I used duct seal and lead weights to add to my boyds f open stock .it wont harden or get mushy on the wood stock I drilled holes then wadded it up and pressed it in the holes until it was full .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    OK, I just came up with a brilliant idea.....How about u take the shot/? and put it in a small bag that fits in the stock or ? You can take it out, no epoxy and you can fill it so it does not rattle. You can use lead, sand or ?, to get the weight you want. Also the material in the bag
    would tend to act as a buffer against recoil as it is free floating and not attached to the stock....sort of like a dead blow hammer.

Wait, how about using a sock :-), brilliant, just brilliant, lol, lol,lol

OK, it is back to the laboratory for me :- )

wll
    I did think of that but not with the sock. Anyway I need it to be rigid. It needs to help reduce recoil.
    Anyway I used fiberglass resin and lead shot. It worked fine but two things happened 1 it got hot and kinda messed up my cheek rest and 2 it ran out the holes and messed up the paint. Oh well, looks only matter some of the time. BTW the stick now weighs 19# and no looking back LOL.

Basic Member
    I just filled my Choate tactical butt stock with lead shot mixed in JB weld. Now it's heavy.

Basic Member
    RP12, how much does it weigh?

Basic Member
    Not sure yet, I'll try to weigh it tomorrow .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    I just filled my Choate tactical butt stock with lead shot mixed in JB weld. Now it's heavy.
    Dang I thought it was heavy now!

Basic Member
    It's a bench only gun in .204 Ruger. I don't want it to move on the bench.

Basic Member
    RP12, how much does it weigh?
    7.8 lb's

wlleven

Taking My Own Advice Tomorrow !

I just took off the butt pad on my Tacticool, and will drill a .750 hole 2 to 3 inches deep. I will then put lead shot in a baggy and stuff it in there. I may drill two .750 holes for extra weight.

It is a bench/gong gun so I'm not carrying it around. it has a Primary Arms 4 x 16 on it and it won't be used for competition at all. once I set up loading gear it will shoot a diet of Hornady 155 A-max bullets (which I just bought today). I'm still deciding on powder Alliant MR Pro 2000 looks pretty good to me so far !

Just my musings ;- )

wll

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    7.8 lb's
    ??? I thought you said you filled your stock? I only have one rifle that weighs less than that.

wlleven
    ??? I thought you said you filled your stock? I only have one rifle that weighs less than that.
    That maybe just the stock weight !

wll

Basic Member
    Just the stock weighs 7.8 lb's. Total rig weight is 16.2 lb's.
    Last edited by RP12; 11-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast