Thread: A good day at the range

seanhagerty

A good day at the range

I had a chance to get out and have a bit of long range fun yesterday. I was at Rolling Hills Rifle and Pistol Club in Macks Creek, MO. Its a new club that has steel out to 1100 yards.

This was the first three shots I threw at the 1100 yard target. Not bad from prone this is a 5 1/2" group. I was using 110 pillar bedded into a boyds tacticool, an ER shaw 26" ss 260 Rem barrel, and a Sav 2 trigger. Glass is a Bushnell Tact elite 3.5-21X.

We had some cross wind and were having difficulty staying on the shorter distance targets, but finally got that figured out, so we went long range. It looks like it worked out here.

Sean

Ackevor
    Great shooting! Looks like your having a good ol' time which is the most important part.

seanhagerty
    Oh yes. I had good company and a totally free range. I learned a LOT. After we got done with trigger time, we spent an hour or so talking about lessons learned. WiInd reading is a tremndous learning curve. We also learned that in order to see bullet trace at long distance, you cant zoom in on the target too much, or you will miss the trace. Lots of other stuff we learned, but best of all it was a BLAST!

Basic Member
    I'm sold! When I rebarrel it will be 260rem! I need to start reloading and I would just like to be able to get 3 consecutive hits on the 890 gong at the range I go too. Hopefully, the box of 175gr's show up on Thursday for my Friday trip to the range.

Great job and great shooting!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Which one of the shots knocked that oak tree down?

Nice shootin' kid.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

seanhagerty
    Thanks Frank. You need to bring your shootin iron up and play sometime.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I would love to, my brother. Sometimes, just sometimes I get real bored with this 90 degrees & sunny in the flat swamplands.

You say that Bushnell Tactical Elite at 21x is pretty good for the distance used?
    How do you like it otherwise? Good piece of glass?

PS - by the way, can we see the rifle & scope instead of your smiling mug?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Is that Macks Creek in Camden? I live in springfield and I have 860 yds on my property but I'd like to shoot out further. BTW nice shooting!

seanhagerty
    Frank, I will get a picture up as soon as I get home from this trip. Should be Saturday, maybe Sunday cause I am lazy. To answer your question, I absolutely love that scope. Very sure clicks, very clear glass, built like a tank. I have the trmr2 reticle, I can hold over out to 800 yards with the reticle, beyond that I have to add elevation. I was using it for wind holds (once we figured out the wind.) I would recommend this scope to everyone. Plus I got it for waaaayy less than listed price.

Futurerider- yes it is. New club, private, they only have a facebook page Look for 'Rolling Hills Rifle club' Great facility great folks that run it, and there is satellite TV in the club house!!
    Last edited by seanhagerty; 11-07-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add stuff

Basic Member
    Great Shooting! I almost went with that glass but it wasn't in stock at the time so I got the Razor. Which was a toss up for me any way.

Basic Member
    Er Shaw barrel? Huh... I don't hear much about them. Less expensive than most. Maybe worth checking out.

seanhagerty
    ER Shaw-I will buy another when I replace this one. Got the last one from Gunshack. It has done me well.
    Last edited by seanhagerty; 11-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.

seanhagerty
    Here you go Frank. My shootin' iron.

I just got done duracoating the action and barrel yesterday. The stock has a krylon paint job on it. I may be duracoating it as well.

This thing can shoot despite my best efforts.