Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Affordable Accustock Replacement Choate Tactical Custom Package

Re: An Affordable Accustock Replacement Choate Tactical Custom Package

Any updates? Have you gotten a chance to shoot this thing yet?

Boba Debt

No, I'm waiting on my 9 round mags

Okay... forgive me for saying, but *not* taking the gun to the range for a test drive because you don't have high enough capacity mags (on a bolt gun) seems a tad silly... granted I have two shooting ranges within 15 minutes drive from my house, so my perspective may be different.

Boba Debt

I'm a patient guy.

I want the first time I shoot this gun to be in it's final configuration.

bodywerks

So how about now?
    Have you shot it yet?
    Did you ever shoot it with the standard accustock?
    What about the recoil lug jamming bolt? Is there a hole in the stock for it? Thinking about getting one to tide me over while I wait for an sss LVT...
    And what model choate is it exactly? The short action stagger feed?

fastgixxerlv

WARNING!!! It does not fit the new accustock! I got the same email from Choate! I sent the stock back to get new alluminum pillars to fit but they did not address that the recess for the recoil lug or barrel lug is to deep, wide and long. So it still did not fit and the lug was floating, which in the accustock it is wedged in. This is just this month so I'm not sure if they've fixed it yet. If you've already ordered then you have some work to do. Get yourself some defcon and really good release agent. (shoe polish) Fill that recessed area with defcon and be sure to leave room for overflow when you set the stock in. When it dries it will be as if the accustock wedge is in there, and WALA accuracy is back and no more butt ugly stock. Also make sure to set the action in the stock with the bolt in and the bolt release closed, then open the bolt release and put the action screw in or the screw will get stuck and all sorts of trigger problems. After all the headache I went through all it needed was that barrel lug to be bedded. Good luck!

bodywerks

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of making the wedge work in it somehow. If not, I have some structural epoxy...
    Still would like to see if th OP has shot his yet. The last thing I want to do is lose accuracy. The accustock concept is awesome and my rifle is more accurate than me, but the ergonomics of the stock suck, especially for prone shooting.

fastgixxerlv

No worries! I want to know too how his shoots! I've taken both stocks to the range and with my skill level I cannot make one shoot better than the other. I'm using Hornady 168gr. Moly coated, and grouping 5 shots 1.25" is biggest and .75 smallest at 200yards. That's best I can do. On a bench the accustock isn't bad, I just can't get comfortable with it specially the cheeck weld. The choate is bad ass though! It's been turning heads at the range like Jessica Simpson in a bathing suit. Lol

bodywerks

I had their non-custom version on my FCP. It fit me well. The adjustable comb and LOP should only make it fit better. It'll be here tomorrow.

Boba Debt

Quote Originally Posted by fastgixxerlv
    WARNING!!! It does not fit the new accustock!

If it doesn’t fit the new accustock then how is it that it took me less then 5 minutes to put the new stock on my gun?

NO, I have not shot it yet. I still don’t have my 9 round mags and I have been working lot of OT. Once I get my mags I'll find time to get to the range.

bodywerks

You're way too patient!
    Like you, I could have had mine mounted in 5 minutes, but I chose to make use of the 3D bedding system of the Accustock. I ended up drilling a 3rd hole in the stock for the wedge bold and making a wedge ramp out of epoxy for the recoil lug nut. Seems to have worked out fairly well, but I will know more tomorrow when I SHOOT IT ;D I don't need the aftermarket magazine to do that...

Boba Debt

I don't need the mags to shoot my rifle, I just want them.

I have plenty of other guns to shoot in the woods if I have the time.

I just finished this build last week and I have shoot it a few times

[img width=600 height=202]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/SXS/SXSProgress008.jpg[/img]

fastgixxerlv

I don't doubt you fitted it in 5. I did too! I shot mine though and it shot like crap, so I fixed it. I've been waiting 3 months for fluted bolt body and mags from SSS, and still don't have it. I ordered them in April!

bodywerks

Here are some rough pics of how I made use of the Accuwedge in the choate stock. This is a conceptual idea that will be put to the test later this afternoon, but I don't see how it could hurt anything. I used a 3/16 allen to wedge for the pic:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/PIC_0015.jpg[/img]
    and here's the bottom view - just a 3/16" hole, countersunk with a forstener bit:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/PIC_0019.jpg[/img]
    I had to go with a longer 10-24 screw(3/4") due to the thicker fore end.

fastgixxerlv

That should work above. I did the same thing but did not drill the hole or use the wedge. I used a piece of alluminum I had cut out. I then dumped the epoxy in there for a snug fit. You're gonna be amazed!

bodywerks

I'm thinking of doing away with the wedge entirely - too finicky. Haven't delved too much into it with this Choate stock, but I took my standard accustock rifle out today that I just bolted the action back into, and tightened according to the instructions. I shot a nearly 2" group at 50 yards!!! Rechecked torques and found that the screws were all looser than I had previously set them to. I re-torqued the wedge, torqued both action bolts to 55in/lbs, and loosened the wedge and shot a 5/8" group at 100 yards. Thought I was all set so I went out to 500 yards and was all over the place - I can usually shoot 1-1.5MOA consistent. Rechecked the screws and the front action screw was loose. Retorqued, fired, rechecked, and the front one was loose again! Bottom line, it's time to do a skim bedding!

Boba Debt

I recieved my mags but I have been working too much to get to the range

bodywerks

I put my .223 fcp-k in this choate stock. Did a light skim bedding and did away with the accuwedge. The rifle is shooting very consistent. Shooting 1/2 MOA @ 200yards...I'll take it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12