Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Affordable Accustock Replacement Choate Tactical Custom Package

Boba Debt

An Affordable Accustock Replacement Choate Tactical Custom Package

I finally found a stock that might work with my Model 10 FCP-K

It’s the Choate Tactical Stock, it comes with an adjustable cheek piece and butt plate

http://www.riflestock.com/images/Pro...ece3%20Way.jpg

It looks like a good stock for $450

I called Choate yesterday and they told me they will be testing it on a Savage Short Action with an Accustock and DBM today.

Hopefully it will fit.

Does Choate make a good stock?

82boy

Re: An Affordable Accustock Replacement Choate Tactical Custom Package

WOW $450 IS A LOT OF CASH FOR A STOCK!!!!
    Not exactly what I would call affordable.
    The accu-stock guns have a complete different bolt release, and use a different size recoil lug. I doubt the Choate stock is properly inletted for the accu-stock, The picture you have posted only shows the rear of the stock.
    For a bit over $300 SSS can make you a stock, that is properly inletted, and you can have an adjustable cheek riser, and but plate. If you must have a tactical look just paint it black.

Boba Debt

I guess you don't price stocks that much.

The BC, Manners and McMillian stocks are all $700+ when you add all the features this stock has and none of these stocks have been checked to see if they will fit an Accustock with a DBM

The closest stock is the Prairie Dog Special/Tactical for about $550, but you have to pay $200 for him to inlet it or you can get his bottom metal for $200 installed.

I looked at SSS but didn't see any synthetc adjustable A-5 style stocks for $300.

If the Choate is a direct replacement stock, $450 is a good price for a synthetic stock with integrated aluminum frame and all the options it has.

My only question was if Choate makes good stocks

Basic Member

yes choate makes good stocks. I have the UV stock and its a good stock.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Uncle Jack

I have two Choate stocks. One is the UV and one is a US. Both are well made and are direct drop-ins. My only complaint is that the Ultimate Sniper is just a little too heavy. I should have bought another UV.

uj

Boba Debt

I was just informed today by Fred at Choate that their Tactical Stock will fit an accustock gun with a DBM

I'm going to order my Custom Tactical ASAP

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    WOW $450 IS A LOT OF CASH FOR A STOCK!!!!
    Not exactly what I would call affordable.
    The accu-stock guns have a complete different bolt release, and use a different size recoil lug. I doubt the Choate stock is properly inletted for the accu-stock, The picture you have posted only shows the rear of the stock.
    For a bit over $300 SSS can make you a stock, that is properly inletted, and you can have an adjustable cheek riser, and but plate. If you must have a tactical look just paint it black.
    I agree that stock prices can get crazy quickly, bu the Manners and McMillan stocks are worth the cost, if the rifle deserves it. The weight of laminated stocks is the biggest drawback for many people, but they still want a strong, very balanced design. As anything in life, that last bit of perfection is never cheap vs the very good. The stock is just as important as any other aspect of a quality rifle.

cowboy25actual

82BOY,,,,that was the problem, i had too,the bolt realease was different and binding up,i got a lil dremel action,but now it looks like its going to take some work,,sad,because i really liked the new choate stock,,i guess savage keeps changing stuff like that,i like my savages they shoot good,but the aftermarket guys hate some of there changes sometimes.

Netz

I think that's a bit pricy for the stock, if it included the barreld action it might be a deal.
    These stocks when they first came out were about $150.00, I just checked and now they run $200.00 [url]http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_TACTICAL_Stock_for_Savage_Short_Action_Deta chable_Mag_Centerfeed_Only.cfm/url]
    But they are not in-letted for the accustock action, I guess that must be worth the extra $250.00 they are charging.
    Curt

cowboy25actual

yeah there checking because i got one of those new savages like you said and it dont fit...im sad

Boba Debt

The extra $250 is for the adjustable cheek rest and the 3 way adjustable butt plate

But I think it funny that you think this stock with a barreled action is only worth $450.

My gun cost $719. If I could get the Model 10 FCP barreld action in this stock for $450 I buy 50 of them and make a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Netz
    I think that's a bit pricy for the stock, if it included the barreld action it might be a deal.
    These stocks when they first came out were about $150.00, I just checked and now they run $200.00 [url]http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_TACTICAL_Stock_for_Savage_Short_Action_Deta chable_Mag_Centerfeed_Only.cfm/url]
    But they are not in-letted for the accustock action, I guess that must be worth the extra $250.00 they are charging.
    Curt

Boba Debt

Why doesn't it fit?

Here is a copy of the email I got from Fred:

The stock will fit the Savage with the bolt release on the bottom of the action. The trigger guard is a little tight on some of the rifles. We got a new rifle today and it worked.
    Thanks
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy25actual
    yeah there checking because i got one of those new savages like you said and it dont fit...im sad

Netz

I think I would just shoot it as is till more after-market company's start producing stocks for the accustock actions, then the prices will hopefully start to go down.
    No to diminish the quality of the Choate Stock, but I personally would not pay that much for one even with the adjustable butt and cheek piece.
    I guess my comment about the barrelled action didn't include the 10fcp-k, just any savage action would be nice, I sure do like that 10fcp-k though.
    I bought one after-market stock for my 7mm mag,just for the wow factor, it was a HS Precision M-24 stock with detachable mag ($435), it looks cool , but the adjustable butt is really worthless once its adjusted, I really haven't had much need to do any other adjusting to it, no matter what awkward shooting position I've been in.
    Curt

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by Netz

I bought one after-market stock for my 7mm mag,just for the wow factor, it was a HS Precision M-24 stock with detachable mag ($435), it looks cool , but the adjustable butt is really worthless once its adjusted, I really haven't had much need to do any other adjusting to it, no matter what awkward shooting position I've been in.
    Curt
    Curt, isn't that the whole reason for getting an adjustable butt plate? To set it up to fit you "personally" and then there would be no reason to ever adjust it again, once you get it to fit you like a glove. It is hard to adjust a non-adjustable butt plate to fit you exactly as they do not move. No offesnse, I just got a chuckle from your post :)

Netz

I think allot of people get them so they can adjust them for different shooting positions. The only use I've found in mine is when I wear a heavy jacket.
    Choats original design was to add spacers to the stock, making it a fixed set-up as you mentioned.

Curt

Stevey

Whoa! I got a Chote Tactical stock for my Stevens 200 .308 At www.combatstocks.com for 169 and tax. They are now 199.00. Got it in one week. Great people to deal with. It is for a DBM, and that will come from SSS supply. for 78.00. Really tightened up my groups! It's built like a tank at 3.9 lbs and will take a bull barrel. The Stevens dropped right in. Very pleased.

Boba Debt

Well I ordered mine today after I confirmed that it would work. Fred said they will shave .010" off the sides before they send it out.

I stand by my original opinion that you can not find an A-5 style stock with the bottom hook, adjustable cheek piece, 3-way adjustable butt stock plate and the bipod channel anywhere else for $450.

I also ordered my EGW scope base today and plan to order the scope, 9 round magazine and bipod in the next couple days.

I should be listing my Accustock and 4 round DBM in the classifieds section once I do the change over. I still need to figure out what they are worth. I think I'll ask $100 for the stock and $40 for the magazine.

Does that sound reasonable?

Ring31

http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_U...ort_Action.cfm

they make a folding varmit as well, its longer, but not on the site, call choate direct for it..

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Debt
    Well I ordered mine today after I confirmed that it would work. Fred said they will shave .010" off the sides before they send it out.

I stand by my original opinion that you can not find an A-5 style stock with the bottom hook, adjustable cheek piece, 3-way adjustable butt stock plate and the bipod channel anywhere else for $450.

I also ordered my EGW scope base today and plan to order the scope, 9 round magazine and bipod in the next couple days.

I should be listing my Accustock and 4 round DBM in the classifieds section once I do the change over. I still need to figure out what they are worth. I think I'll ask $100 for the stock and $40 for the magazine.

Does that sound reasonable?
    The adjustable cheek piece hardware is around $100.00 and then the cost of installation. The adjustable butt pad is about the same cost if not a little more I would think. $450.00 is not out of line for the additional hardware in my opinion. Some people don't want it and/or don't
    want to pay for it. It is all about what you want from your rifle. I don't see any problem with the price if the stock is solid. Price a Manners or McMillan with those same features and see what the final cost would be. I would imagine you be looking in the neighborhood of $800.00.

Boba Debt

I think you misunderstood.

I was asking is $100 for my Accustock and and $40 for my original 4 round magazine was reasonable?

Boba Debt

Still waiting on my stock, I guess they have to make it?????

I'm a patient guy but I have to admit I'm a bit anxious to get this stock.

What would be considered a "long" time to wait for a stock?

I've been waiting on a custom laminate since the end of Dec., it is for a 110fple 7mm mag.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

lwink

I ordered one from Kevin at Stockade in early december, hopefully will come this april...

Boba Debt

I received my Choate Custom Tactical stock today.

It took about 3 minutes to install and everything fit perfectly.

I'll post pictures after I get a bipod for it this week end.

Boba Debt

Here are the images of my Model 10 FCP-K with the new Choate Custom Tactical Stock and Harris Bipod installed. I have two 9 round magazines on order.

I can't wait to shot this thing

[img width=600 height=391]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateFront02.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=188]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateLeft.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=209]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateRight.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=353]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateBottom.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=354]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateAdjustable.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast