Thread: Having trouble with Mod 10FP-SR stock

wlleven

Having trouble with Mod 10FP-SR stock

How do I take out the magazine ?

I remove the gun from the stock, but the enclosed magazine won't come out ? It is a standard plastic stock that is on the 10FP-SR

I thought it just falls out, and you put it in a new stock ? ?

What am I doing wrong ?

wll

stangfish
    Is it metal? Have you removed the trigger guard?

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Is it metal? Have you removed the trigger guard?
    The housing is stamped metal. yes I completely removed the trigger guard and its screws.

I don't see how to get this thing out ...the only way maybe to wait till Midway or Brownell's has replacement parts and install those in the Tacticool stock .... what a pain in the b#&&, I wish I would have known !

I might also add the trigger guard recess is way to tight, have to take some material off stock ; -)

wll

stangfish
    What have you tried? Are you wanting it to fall out or is a tight fit ok?

wlleven
    What have you tried? Are you wanting it to fall out or is a tight fit ok?
    I have tried grabbing around the edges, tried a bit of prying (was carefully not to bend anything). Can't grab the lips or you damage the magazine. I could cut the stock but that would be stupid cause I may want to sell it down the line.

There is no way I can see to lift it out, I think savage pops it in but there are tabs that keep it in place ...... Fudge !

wll

stangfish
    Take I small screwdriver and get it under the rear clip from the back end of the stock. Lift it up just enough to get it moving. Take some needle nosed pliers and give it a light pull. It will be out in no time. Look around the edges of the mag well and if you raised any proud plastic it will affect the way the action sits in the stock. Take an Exacto or other sharp tool and chamfer the edge to remove the plastic "burrs".

stangfish
    I am sorry for not being more direct but I was multitasking and was thinking you had bottom metal. My bad.

wlleven
    I am sorry for not being more direct but I was multitasking and was thinking you had bottom metal. My bad.
    No this a center feed, non magazine rifle, it is driving me nuts !

wll

stangfish
    Did you follow post #6 instructions?

wlleven

I will try that tomorrow :-)

wll

Gotta be smarter than the parts. And stangfish's removal process is the best way to do it. Just have to raise each end (front and back) a little at a time and walk it out.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

wlleven
    This thing is in REALLY tight, I have very high quality screw drivers and ? and it will not move. Have tried to pry from front to back, no movemet, there is no side to side movement at all.

I will take it to work tomorrow and see if we can spread the plastic stock appart to free the magazine, if not I will need to buy a replacement. This magazine is locked in place !

wll

They're a tight fit, probably more so in the plastic stocks, but they will come out. A pair of needle nose pliars gripping the full length of one of the lips and gently rocking back and forth (front to back) while lifting upward typically gets the job done in the wood stocks. I don't have much use for Savage's synthetic stocks unless it's planting season and I need tomato stakes.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

wlleven
    Are the Savage short action 110 box magazine and follower the same as mod 10 ? I saw them listed in Midway and Brownell's as Mod 110, 111, etc.

I thought all short actions were two digits ?

wll

Don't ever trust Midway's descriptions as far as what model # parts will fit - they don't know donkey about Savage's. Do they say what cartridge the box is for and if it's center or staggered feed? That's the best way to tell when dealing with both Midway and Brownells for parts as they usually get that much right.

wlleven
    Well I ordered a mag for the mod 10, also ordered the follower and spring, also have a new trigger guard coming, the one on the 10 FP-SR does not fit at all. The follower and spring ang trigger guard are on back order.

wll