Thread: Leopold scope question ? .......

wlleven

Leupold scope question ? .......

I have a Savage Mod 10 heavy barred McMillan stocked tactical rifle. I have owned this rifle a few years, yet never shot it or very much looked at it. I bought it off a buddy who needed $

Anyway, the gun has a Leupold Mark III 3.5x10 scope, has a 40mm objective and a 1 inch tube. I'm thinking about getting a better scope and getting rid of this one...does anybody have any idea what it is worth ? I have been looking at all the knows sight and I guess this scope has been out of production for a while ?

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 11-03-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Leupold has been building the Mark 4's for quite a few years now - at least the last 12-15. No clue how long it's been since they were making Mark 3's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Leupold has been building the Mark 4's for quite a few years now - at least the last 12-15. No clue how long it's been since they were making Mark 3's.
    Yes, I bought this gun from a friend and I think he was really taken to the cleaners and I paid what he paid to help him out. The gun was never shot and was, in effect new.

It came with the gun, Harris Bi-Pod, Pelican case, Leupold 3.5-10 Mark III scope, a steel one piece mount and Burris rings.

I got to tell you, that scope IMHO is a POS of the first order. How is it possible to make a tactical scope without parallax correction ? I used scopes with parallax correction for air gun for 40 years, what in the %@## was Leupold thinking !

The Primary Arms 4x16 $160.00 scope I have blows this thing away !

I'm going to sell this scope, and travel down to the Los Angeles area to have a Cooley muzzle break installed next week. I won't get the gun back for a few weeks, and as far as a scope on this gun... well, it could be another Primary Arms 4x16, a Primary Arms 4x14, or maybe a SWFA, It won't be a Leopold at those ridiculous prices for sure.

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 11-03-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Basic Member
    SWFA has a form that you can submit to them and they will appraise your scope for you.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

wlleven
    Made a mistake, it is a Vari X III tactical. I saw where folks were selling them a few years back, I have the info on this scope now.

This scope may be OK for 100 yard shooting, but sighting it in yesterday at 50yds was not a pleasant experience.

The problem with parallax is a real issue and causes major inconsistency is sighting in. As I mentioned in another post, when I got home I ripped that scope off and put on an old Leupold 12X that has parallax adjustment down to 50 yards.

I will be going to the range again today to see if it was me, the gun or in fact the scope.

wll

Basic Member
    Consider sending the scope back to Leupold with a description of the parallax issues you are experiencing. They will check it out, and if it is not within specifications, they will repair/replace it under their lifetime warranty.

I've used Leupolds for 35 years and never experienced a parallax-related issue with them, so yours might have an actual issue.

Once it's back, see if it is up to snuff; if not, sell it. Depending on condition, you're looking at $350-450 value with a recent service.

George

stangfish
    I have some scopes that are low power that have some parallax at their max magnification at short ranges. Seems to go away after 50 or so yards. How are you getting your cheek weld. How are you testing parallax.

+1 on GeorgeS's statement.

davemuzz
    This is where Google can be your friend. Use it. I just punched in "Leupold Mark III 3.5x10" in Google and got about a thousand hits. In ebay they have a pile of these scopes used on the $300 range. (Low $300). But, that was just one quick look at one site. Shop it. That may be the best deal out there or it may be the worse.

When I'm looking at used scopes I will beat the interned using Google for two or three days. If I don't feel comfy with the price, I may think of another brand\type.

FWIW

Dave

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    This is where Google can be your friend. Use it. I just punched in "Leupold Mark III 3.5x10" in Google and got about a thousand hits. In ebay they have a pile of these scopes used on the $300 range. (Low $300). But, that was just one quick look at one site. Shop it. That may be the best deal out there or it may be the worse.

When I'm looking at used scopes I will beat the interned using Google for two or three days. If I don't feel comfy with the price, I may think of another brand\type.

FWIW

Dave
    Yes, I will sell it for a little over that as it comes with a steel Picitinney mount and Burris rings, the scope and everything with it looks brand new ....well it just about is, it has less than 20 rounds through it, not a scratch ding or ?

wll