Thread: Switching sides ?

Basic Member

Switching sides ?

Just wondering what is involved in switching the bolt handle over to the other side ?
    Stock.
    Bolt handle.
    Bolt body.
    Baffle.
    Cut new bolt slot in action.
    Last edited by RP12; 11-02-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Basic Member
    I could just recut a new bolt slot in my stock also.
    Last edited by RP12; 11-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.

bodywerks
    Nope. Need a new receiver also. Lug abatements are unidirectional. The have a ramp cut into them to allow for primary extraction.
    Unless you are specifically looking for a left bolt/right ejection or viseversa you're better off just buying a rifle with the bolt on the side you prefer.
    Otherwise, you'll need a gunsmith capable of machining new primary extraction ramps in the receiver. You'd also need a bolt body custom machined with a properly machined cocking cam, because you can't simple rotate the cocking piece pin over to the opposite side. It needs to engage the sear.
    Basically, it's not impossible, but you could have two custom actions built for the money you'd pay a machinist to do everything you're trying to do to a savage action.

Basic Member
    Contact Fred at SSS! I believe this service is listed on their site. Regardless he can explain all involved.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    I'll probably just keep it the way it is. If it would have been fairly easy to do with replacement parts and a little tweeking I may have tried it.

Basic Member
    You can left bolt, right eject with a left bolt and a right bolt head. Of course you'll have to use a left stock or inlet your stock for the bolt knob. Nothing difficult.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleshooter308 View Post
    You can left bolt, right eject with a left bolt and a right bolt head. Of course you'll have to use a left stock or inlet your stock for the bolt knob. Nothing difficult.
    Have you done it? I just did a rebarrel and don't recall seeing primary extraction ramps on both sides of the lug abatements in the receiver. Could be wrong I guess.

Basic Member
    I had a rifle built on this concept. It was a RB/RP and Fred turned it into a LB/RP action. The reason he didn't make it a LB/LP action was it would loose too much rigidity in the action. I have some pics in the picture thread.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Wow, easy to see who knows their stuff and who's throwing out wild guesses in this thread. Think I'll just sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch to see how many more want to chime in with totally incorrect information before I point out who's got half a clue as to what they're talking about.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

bodywerks
    Enough with the suspense. Bring it! I know there are more than two or three ways to skin a cat, and that none of them are just a simple bolt swap/inlet of stock...

Basic Member
    I just thought if it were fairly easy, I would do it. I thought it would be a fun project. It sounds to involved for me to worry about. I'll just leave it as is. After all if it were easy, anybody could do it.

Basic Member
    Well I guess I may be missing something. My Striker is a left bolt right eject. The only thing left on it is the bolt knob. I can't see anything different in the action. I can take my right bolt and use it in the action just fine. I assembled a full left handed rifle for a friend. I had a bunch of misc. parts on my bench and mistakenly put the right bolt head on his rifle. It chambered and fired but of course would not eject the case since it was trying to eject it to the right. You can't just turn it around because the baffle groove would be backwards and upside down. So if you buy a full left bolt assembly from Midway and put your right bolt head and baffle on it it should work just fine just like my striker. So what am I missing?

bodywerks
    What side of the rifle is the bolt release and sear catch on a left hand rifle? I thought it was the left side as well. And going off memory the tang has to be relieved for the handle as well. And nobody mentioned the extraction cam. It needs to be replaced too.