Thread: Need stock for precision build :111 Trophy hunter

derek1387

Need stock for precision build :111 Trophy hunter

I picked up a trophy hunter 308 with the Nikon scope last night for a good price to learn/build a basic precision shooter.

I don't want to do $1000 into a stock for this, but want a solid stock to build from

If I am not mistaken, this rifle had the bottom bolt release.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Actually any info on a build path for up to about 800 yards would be great

Thanks

Basic Member
    I have the same thing in the 116 and there just isn't much available at all. I ended up using my accustock for a build but did quite a bit of work on it. I think Manners, Choate is about it. I did talk to CBI about their bottom metal on a Choate. They would do it all I think for about $500 with a mag. I also thought about going the Richards Micro-fit route since I am good with wood but wait time concerned me most. Hope I am wrong! Anyone else?

derek1387
    Great. Everyone told me to get this model to start with as the remmy 700 requires gunsmithing to get where I want to be.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake... I have no desire to hunt. I want long range

stangfish
    I like your kind of thinking and questions. If you don't mind me asking a question or three, and let me clarify what I am working from. You want a "basic precision shooter that will do the deed out to 800." I want one too!!!

What type of 800 yard shooting ie... out on the farm at steel or whitetail? On the range with F/x class? Tactical? Do you want something to carry in the backcountry? Do you plan on changing anything besides the stock? You might get some "rockin" feedback with some clarification. Might have even been the right place to come before the purchase. Good luck as you will find plenty of us will help you spend your allowance on the cool stuff.
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.

derek1387
    I didn't know this forum existed till today. I did my research and question asking on Ar15.com in their precision rifle forum, as well as some friends who do precision stuff.

Is that all the info you need?

stangfish
    That was about it. Except for....
    What type of 800 yard shooting ie... out on the farm at steel or whitetail? On the range with F/x class? Tactical? Do you want something to carry in the backcountry? Do you plan on changing anything besides the stock?
    The reason I asked is the scope may not prove to be what you where looking for. The barrel will be a shooter but if you are looking for multiple shots is short period of time like what you might see in a competition, an aftermarket barrel my be the ticket, at least after you have proven the need. it will have an ever increasing value as a takeoff if you choose to go that route. Now the stock is another use specific item. Some can be used as dual purpose but the sweet spot is on the Manners , McMillan or Stockade if you like synthetics. The guys over at ARF.com may have given some different opinions though.
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.

derek1387
    Oh, I though I posted that. Looks like my post didn't go through.

308 caliber
    Shooting steel at the farm
    Tactical/precision
    Don't plan on carrying it other than range shooting

Plano changing barrels and such after I do the stock, since the stock seems to be the only thing I can't really find at the moment.

I like this style
    http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-ri...spacer-system/

masterblaster
    Look up the tactical varmint stock at sharp shooter supply, what is teh screw spacing, 4.4" or 4.27 inch, stockys has a nice special going right now.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...rt-Long/Detail
    Last edited by masterblaster; 11-02-2013 at 07:52 PM.

derek1387
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    That was about it. Except for....

The reason I asked is the scope may not prove to be what you where looking for. The barrel will be a shooter but if you are looking for multiple shots is short period of time like what you might see in a competition, an aftermarket barrel my be the ticket, at least after you have proven the need. it will have an ever increasing value as a takeoff if you choose to go that route. Now the stock is another use specific item. Some can be used as dual purpose but the sweet spot is on the Manners , McMillan or Stockade if you like synthetics. The guys over at ARF.com may have given some different opinions though.
    The scope is not staying. I can promise you that. It was just to get me going.

I will replace it with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X that will be here this week. My next concern is the stock. Like the Choate Tactical stock a lot, but not sure it will work with the bottom bolt release.

masterblaster
    Derek, call Choate Monday morning and ask them exactly what stock fits, if you are planning on doing a bottom metal/magazine you should call CDI precision and they will tell you what stock fits with a BM set up. There is a difference.

derek1387
    OK.

I just hope I didnt make a mistake purchasing this rifle for what my intended purpose is.

Any other recommendations as far as stocks to look at?

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    OK.

I just hope I didnt make a mistake purchasing this rifle for what my intended purpose is.

Any other recommendations as far as stocks to look at?
    You may want to looks at Boyds Tacticool stock.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...55362&cat=1215

It is only $99.00. but it is OK. It is a laminate stock painted with a rough coat flat black finish. For the money you can't beat it. No, it is not a Manners, HS Precision or McMillan, but your not paying huge bucks either.

I just bought one and I'm putting my new Mod.10FP-SR in it when I pick up the gun tomorrow.

wll

savagebuilder
    the tacticool,is a very good stock ive used a few of them.you may consider. contacting jim briggs getting a recoil lug larger bolt handle,tools to put on a new barrel if you are going to do that.gauges.look into criterion or shilen barrels.

derek1387
    Well, I made the decision to sell the trophy hunter, and I bought the Model 11 Hog Hunter.

Now i will have something that I can actually USE

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    Well, I made the decision to sell the trophy hunter, and I bought the Model 11 Hog Hunter.

Now I will have something that I can actually USE
    Well, the Hog Hunter is awesome. You can check my post to see how I have mine set up. Folks in general don't like the ugly green stock, but I think it is awesome.

For what the gun is, and what it's intended use is, I'm a huge fan.

I have two of them and very well may buy another to put in the closet, as the price is right and it has some major good features for me.

1) It has a threaded barrel !
    2) it has the Accu Trigger !
    3) the barrel length is great for up to 300 yard hunting, and maybe more in the right hands !
    4) it has iron sights !
    5) the gun is priced right !

wll