Thread: Hog Hunter Makes 110 LA .223 Jealous! Barrel Question

Hog Hunter Makes 110 LA .223 Jealous! Barrel Question

Like my two daughters, I try to love all my guns equally. This Hog Hunter in .308 may change that. Still, heart breaking to hear my 110 weeping quietly in the gunsafe...

I cant quite put my finger on it, but something about this gun just "flips mah switch"!

Now, I know the answer to this question(s) will have its share of variables; just need some general education, as I am not all that familiar with .308 caliber AND neither barrel lengths etc.

The HH has a 20" barrel. A shooting buddy said it was "perfect" because any longer wasn't necessary due to "burn time". I think what hes trying to say that the time the bullet spends in the barrel, and the subsequent propellant burning behind it, would not benefit from a longer barrel. I think that may be too much of a generalization, and although I love my buddy, he has been know to spout cryptic things and change the subject just as quickly.

Any truth to what he said? I was always under the impression that, everything else being equal, a longer barrell is usually more accurate. That said, the barrel has a one in 10 twist and realizing that the way barrels are measured there is not 20" worth of rifling in the barrel.

So questions are: If I do my part, will I have any accuracy problems with the 20" barrel out to 300-350 yards?

What is / are the advantages to a longer barrel?

Does a 1:10 twist stabilize most common weight/length .308 bullets? (I know from my .223 studies for instance, a faster twist is better for heavier bullets...)

Finally, is it called "lock time" or "dwell time"; the amount of time a fired bullet spends traveling down the barrel?

Thanks, as always! Brian (old dog learning new stuff all the time and loving it!)
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    The 308 performs well in in a 20in barrel. I know a lot of guys consistently shooting out passed 800yds. The benefit of a longer barrel is an increase in FPS, but with the right load they'll all shoot.

No problem at the ranges you mentioned.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    The best length for a barrel often depends on what you're trying to do. The purpose of the hog hunter is going to be different than say the Savage model 12 FT/R. The longer barrel will give slightly higher velocity. I think it was an additional 50fps per .5 inch. Don't quote me on that one. You won't have any problems with a 20" tube going out to 300 yards. Heck, if you do your part, that bullet can go a 1000.

A 1:10 twist will stabilize most bullets found for .308 caliber bullets. The lock time is the time between the sear release and when the firing pin strikes the primer. By the time you feel the recoil, the bullet would have traveled a considerable ways down range.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.