Like my two daughters, I try to love all my guns equally. This Hog Hunter in .308 may change that. Still, heart breaking to hear my 110 weeping quietly in the gunsafe...

I cant quite put my finger on it, but something about this gun just "flips mah switch"!

Now, I know the answer to this question(s) will have its share of variables; just need some general education, as I am not all that familiar with .308 caliber AND neither barrel lengths etc.

The HH has a 20" barrel. A shooting buddy said it was "perfect" because any longer wasn't necessary due to "burn time". I think what hes trying to say that the time the bullet spends in the barrel, and the subsequent propellant burning behind it, would not benefit from a longer barrel. I think that may be too much of a generalization, and although I love my buddy, he has been know to spout cryptic things and change the subject just as quickly.

Any truth to what he said? I was always under the impression that, everything else being equal, a longer barrell is usually more accurate. That said, the barrel has a one in 10 twist and realizing that the way barrels are measured there is not 20" worth of rifling in the barrel.

So questions are: If I do my part, will I have any accuracy problems with the 20" barrel out to 300-350 yards?

What is / are the advantages to a longer barrel?

Does a 1:10 twist stabilize most common weight/length .308 bullets? (I know from my .223 studies for instance, a faster twist is better for heavier bullets...)

Finally, is it called "lock time" or "dwell time"; the amount of time a fired bullet spends traveling down the barrel?

Thanks, as always! Brian (old dog learning new stuff all the time and loving it!)