Thread: .308 PPU Problem in 11VT

Hubcap91

.308 PPU Problem in 11VT

I replaced my plastic magazine frame today in my 11VT with a metal one from Savage. This in turn required a new magazine. I was doing a simple function test with a fully loaded mag and noticed the bolt was extremely stiff on close. I discovered it was the ammunition itself. Its PPU .308 FMJ. I've never shot it before. I tried some other brands I have around and it chambered everything else just fine. Anyone here have a similar problem?

brasse
    No answer to the ammo question but what part number and price did you pay for the bottom metal. I have one metal and one plastic bottom and want to go all metal.

Thank you

Hubcap91
    No problem. I listed the part numbers and prices in this thread.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...457#post196457

Westcliffe01
    I wonder if it is possible to use a body sizing die on loaded ammo to bump the shoulder back ? One could run into this issue if the shoulder on the ammo was just a little over spec. I have never run into this issue with any PPU ammo I have used, but all it takes is a single sizing die to be out of adjustment and who knows how much brass will get run before they figure it out ?

I have seen some strange things in my time. 2 packages of Hornady superformance ammo with 1 mismatched round each out of 20 like 223 and 1x 204. 308 Sierra Match king bullets with 1 in the packet with the front of the jacket hardly swaged down at all and the lead core exposed and another swaged down about 90% with a mesplat about 3x bigger than normal. This from vendors with excellent reputations...

Hubcap91
    I don't know enough about reloading to say if it would be safe of not. I only bought two boxes of it so I'm not sweating over it or anything. I know what you mean about strange. I had a box of Remington corelokt 30-06 with what I thought was a loose case on one round but then discovered the powder and bullet in the box.

Westcliffe01
    I use body dies on my brass which I otherwise neck size in a collet die. The body die does not touch the neck at all, so I'm pretty sure one could bump the shoulder with it if one wanted. Particularly if you only have 40 cases it may be something to consider. If it still chambers hard, then the overall length may be too long for the chamber. You can probably check if that is in spec right now with just a caliper or height gauge.

Basic Member
    First the warning..... Do not use a body die on loaded ammo....... that said and that by the way is what the instructions say, I use a body die on loaded rounds that i have over crimped and slightly bulged the case and never had a problem. As said already the neck doesn't touch so unless you have a pin that hits the primer when you lower the case you should have no problem. Just remember to lube the case cause you really don't want to stick a loaded case.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Now that you mention it, I think PPU Match ammo makes the bolt a bit stiff upon closure in my Axis. It's not particularly good in the gun either despite it being one of the better performers in my Saiga.

Hubcap91
    Yeah this is my first .308 so I was just looking for some cheaper rounds just for shooting in the yard. I think I'll be sticking to PMC and the Herter's brass case. Pretty much all American made ammo in my area is still outrageous. It seems to be turning around though.

grab one of your fired brass cases and start micing it against the ppu unfired.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

therichardpowell
    I had this same issue. I think they may have had a run of stiff brass...
    http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=26112
    Mine was cured with full length sizing, twice, due to lubrication issues.

Union_Sheetmetal
    Dang I thought it was just my rifle. bought three boxes of Monarch .308 150gr just to run thru it as break in rounds and bolt takes almost all I have to close and open. And yes they have PPU headstamped so much for some cheap ammo. lol at least my AR-10 likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Union_Sheetmetal View Post
    Dang I thought it was just my rifle. bought three boxes of Monarch .308 150gr just to run thru it as break in rounds and bolt takes almost all I have to close and open. And yes they have PPU headstamped so much for some cheap ammo. lol at least my AR-10 likes them.
    ditto.......my old 308 gas gun would eat just about anything
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}