Thread: New rifle, new to Savage.

EvilBetty

New rifle, new to Savage.

Hi guys. Just bought a Savage MKIIGLY for my left handed daughter.

I bought an extra magazine from eBay and I'm researching, getting the gun ready to use for silhouette.

First step is going to be mounts, rings, and a scope. Any advise on a mount for silhouette shooting?

Been reading some on the trigger, anyone shooting silhouette with the stock accu-trigger? Experiences?

Don't suppose anyone makes aftermarket stocks for the lefty version?

I plan to have her shoot it as is for a while at first, but is there anything I should address right out of the box on this gun?

Thanks!

-EB

First off Welcome.
    Lots of good info here. As a lefty shooter myself I can appreciate that you bought her a left handed rifle.
    Over the years I've found it's hard to go wrong with Leupold mounts or optics. yes there are more budget friendly but I think it's safe to say Leupold has pretty much set the standard for comparison in the US optics market.
    I have converted several stocks originally built for right hand use to leftys. It usually takes no more than filling in the old bolt cutout and cutting a new one on the left side with a dremel. a little refinishing and you're good to go. It would probably be a little more difficult on a laminate or wood but synthetics are easy to do.
    Again welcome and enjoy the site
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

On the extra magazine, don't be surprised if you have to tweak the feed lips a little to get it to feed properly. Savage tunes the magazines to the individual gun at the factory, so any replacements will be subject to fine tuning as well. All you need is a pair of needle nose pliers to get the job done.

Pretty sure Boyds offers LH stocks, and I know Sharp Shooter Supply does.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

EvilBetty
    Thanks guys. Are the Weaver #24's the right bases or should I be looking at something else?

Basic Member
    I'm very happy with my Mueller APT scope, very good scope for the money IMO. I installed an Apachee trigger kit in my BTVLSS and really like it. Also check into a heavier bottom metal, you'll need it.

I like the Weaver #45's as they're a little taller and will give you enough clearance for lens caps on a 40mm objective. With the factory bases a 40mm is so tight that the barrel caps won't fit.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

EvilBetty
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    Also check into a heavier bottom metal, you'll need it.
    XSorry I don't understand what that means?X

Never mind, "Google is my friend"... Most of my rifles are AK and AR variants, or 10/22's. Kind of new to these types of rifles other than just shooting my dad's Rem 700.

I'll look into this, thanks!
    Last edited by EvilBetty; 10-26-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Google'serch

EvilBetty
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I like the Weaver #45's as they're a little taller and will give you enough clearance for lens caps on a 40mm objective. With the factory bases a 40mm is so tight that the barrel caps won't fit.
    What rings are you using? Is there a reason you didn't use the #24's and taller rings?

I was actually thinking about going with something like the EGW 1 peice with a 20 MOA rise for use in silhouette. Aside from shipping the #24/#45 mounts are there other MKII mounts that have built in slope?

shanejohnson2002
    DIP makes a 25moa mount that's rock solid. I like both EGW and DIP, so it's really your choice.

The trigger is nice but I switch all of mine out for Rifle Basix SAV-RAT triggers. They are super crisp and can be tuned to a wide range. For silhouette though, you'll need it to be 2lb exactly to be legal.

You should also look into the DIP bottom metal and start playing around with torque settings. A Seekonk torque wrench is a good investment in general, and I just used mine to get the groups at 50 down to 1/2", just by torquing the action screws to 25 in/lb.

Finally, don't cut corners on ammo. I've had great results with Lapua Midas + and Eley Tenex, but there are plenty of good top-shelf ammo choices that'll fit the bill. You just have to test different brands to see which one the rifle likes best, and then start tuning the action screws to make the groups smaller.

Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe Boyds will make a LH stock for your rifle, although it won't be a Youth length of pull.

EvilBetty
    Great info, thanks!

I have a FAT wrench. It's not the most accurate torque wrench but I'll give it a go on the bottom plate.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
    What rings are you using? Is there a reason you didn't use the #24's and taller rings?

I was actually thinking about going with something like the EGW 1 peice with a 20 MOA rise for use in silhouette. Aside from shipping the #24/#45 mounts are there other MKII mounts that have built in slope?
    I use Burris Signature Zee medium height rings on most every gun I have. Only time I've found I need their high rings is if I'm using a scope with a 50mm or larger objective. I almost always stock with a 40-44mm objective so I tend to grab a few extra sets of the mediums when I can find them.

shanejohnson2002
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I use Burris Signature Zee medium height rings on most every gun I have. Only time I've found I need their high rings is if I'm using a scope with a 50mm or larger objective. I almost always stock with a 40-44mm objective so I tend to grab a few extra sets of the mediums when I can find them.
    Seconded. I use DNZ game reapers on some of my other guns (and I love them!), but if you're using a rail instead of a one-piece, Zee rings are hard to beat.

JCalhoun
    I shoot silhouette with a Savage Mark II BRJ (Boyds stock and Savage metal trigger guard) and have never had an issue with the Accutrigger. I don't think I have even had to reset it. It works.

The scope base is a DNZ Game Reaper single piece but the tall Weavers will work too. I have two magazines that I bought for it and both had to be tweeked a bit with needle nose pliers to feed consistantly. Normally I like to single feed it though so the magazine doesn't poke my hands when shooting standing and it makes me slow down some while shooting.

Hi, just joined and this is my first post. Not to hijack this thread but I also just purchased a left hand Mark II and this thread has answered a few questions for me also.