Thread: Awesome shooting Savage barrels? !

358Hammer

Awesome shooting Savage barrels? !

First I would like to thank everyone that takes off their Savage barrels and sells them here on the site.
    After this second awesome shooting Factory skinny little 24" barrel it makes me wonder why I spend $400. for custom barrels. The barrel pictured is a now 19" 300WSM with the new baby muscle brake which is designed for 223's and such. Recoil, feels like a stick of dynamite going off in my hand but the gun doesn't move with 66grs of Rel 17 and every 168gr match bullet type I own. I have pretty much everybodies from yester years competition. The consistancy of reloader 17 (spread) is making me very happy I bought a keg of it. Not one three shot group was over an inch! The barrel isn't even broke in yet! I shot two for group on the bottom target before ajusting into bull. The middles target is the same load of reloader 17 and the 168gr SMK!

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/AwesomeshootingSavagebarrels.jpg[/img]

Neal

phirebug

Re: Awesome shooting Savage barrels? !

OMG you just gave me an expensive idea.

...and with that, a slew of questions.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right...
    a receiver that is registered as a rifle cannot be made into a pistol, so I need to start off with a striker action...
    ...or can i order a blank target action from savage and register it as a pistol on the 4473 when i do the transfer?

is there any regulation on the length of a pistol barrel? i know rifles can't be under 16, but does going over 16 make it an SBR, or does it default to what the receiver was registered as?

tinkerer

OK, you can order an undesignated Target action and when your FFL transfers it to you, he registers it as a pistol, no problem.

Larry
    Tinkerer

358Hammer

I do not order actions from Savage as I haven't an FFL. Jim at Northland Shooters Supply gives a very good deal to where I am not interested in buying somewhere else.

Key word when ordering actions: UNDESIGNATED which applies to an action only that was shipped from Savage to whomever. The last I spoke with Savage and Jim is aware of this call. I, you, whomever is not stuck with just the target action. Jim can get any short or long action, target,dual port, 10,12, whatever in undesignated form. When you fill out your pretty little yellow paperwork at that time check the box for handgun thus you just designatated it as a handgun.

Caution: Not all FFL dealers are aware of what I just said. I got a very late call two weeks ago from a friend who let the FFL fill in the paperwork in which the next day he went to sign and the wrong box had been signed. So they had to do the paperwork over. Once that call is made on your gun it is what the dealer reports. Rifles can not be made (ever) into handguns. Handgun actions can be converted to rifles once and must remain forever.

Barrel length on a handgun is not relevant. I know one hunter that put a 24" rifle barrel on his striker.

Hope this helps

Neal

phirebug

thanks for the info! :D

Basic Member

You say that once you put a rifle stock on it, you can not put it back to a pistol, correct? If I understand that correctly what about an Encore or Contender? I'm not trying to be a smart*** just an honest question. Is it different from state to state?

358Hammer

I looked all over for my letter from T/C and just can't find it.

I do remember they initually lost there court cases all the way up to the supreme court. There it was overturned. I can not remember the exact wording EXCEPT I remember after reading the letter I started asking people when I bought a used frame if the owner knew what the frame was registered as when it left the factory. If he did not know, I would take the number and call T/C for the answer before I purchased it. (handguns only for me since 1976)!

Distant memory influences me to say that the Feds and T/C have agreed to disagree regarding enforcement. State officers in most locals in my experience do not care. I have known some that will run the serial number for stolen property. Find out that the frame was a rifle being hunted as a handgun. Most but not all prosecutors are aware of the can of worms in prosecuting the federal violation so do not prosecute.

Personally I haven't got that kind of money to tread that line just to prove myself innocent. T/C spent a pile of money and worried a long time to get to the last stop (Supreme Court) before the won. As we all know, since one can buy either way, rifle or handgun or undesignated there isn't any reason to tread this path.

Neal

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by placek59
    You say that once you put a rifle stock on it, you can not put it back to a pistol, correct? If I understand that correctly what about an Encore or Contender? I'm not trying to be a smart*** just an honest question. Is it different from state to state?
    Nope..... once a pistol always a pistol. You just have to have a 16" or longer barrel on it if you have a rifle stock attached.
    You can remove the shoulder stock and put a sub 16" barrel on at any time without any legal issues.

If it was originally designated on paper somewhere (factory records, Distributor records, local FFL log book) as a RIFLE rather than a pistol than you can NEVER have a barrel under 16" even if you don't have a shoulder stock on it, unless you go through the NFA SBR stuff. Technically if someone logged it into an FFL log book as a RIFLE, it would still remain a pistol but that record could come back to bite you.