Thread: 'Orchard Buck...October 2013

Basic Member

'Orchard Buck...October 2013

Oct 19th...was opening day here for rifle buck...was hoping for the big 4 point I had seen all week...but no luck...saw 4 smaller bucks along with this nice fat 3 point by 730am...along with 15 or so doe....this buck presented himself well at 165 yards...the Tikka 6.5x55 with handloaded Nosler 140 AB's cracked & the buck was DRT....walked to the barn 300 yards away & got the tractor & loaded him up....snapped a few pics...got him cleaned up & skinned and hanging in a cold locker by 1030am..was not monster by any means...19" wide & 16" tall......yept...decided to mount him..along side the Desert Bighorn I shot 3 weeks earlier...should have them both back late next summer...

S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

nice one! Congrats
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dcloco
    AIH - Thanks for sharing. Nice buck!!!

You folks in Utah sure are weird! That's the first time I've ever seen a buck's tine count referred to by only counting the points on one side. Most westerners I know do use the 3x3 or 4x4 rating system. Most easterners I know would call that a six point. But you Utahians - ya'll just gotta be different don'tcha? LOL

Kidding aside that's a nice buck and he'll look good hanging on the wall with the other trophies.

Of course if you had been carrying a Savage that 4 point you were really hoping for would have presented himself - the big bucks will only let themselves be shot by the best rifles after all.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

We would call that a 3 point as well and eye guards don't count.

So it's a southwest thing. Hmmm.....I'm going to have to draw me a map so I can remember where the regional boundaries are and who calls what what.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Talking

I guess so. I figured it was just you easterners trying to make bucks bigger than they really are.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah View Post
    Oct 19th...was opening day here for rifle buck...was hoping for the big 4 point I had seen all week...but no luck...saw 4 smaller bucks along with this nice fat 3 point by 730am...along with 15 or so doe....this buck presented himself well at 165 yards...the Tikka 6.5x55 with handloaded Nosler 140 AB's cracked & the buck was DRT....walked to the barn 300 yards away & got the tractor & loaded him up....snapped a few pics...got him cleaned up & skinned and hanging in a cold locker by 1030am..was not monster by any means...19" wide & 16" tall......yept...decided to mount him..along side the Desert Bighorn I shot 3 weeks earlier...should have them both back late next summer...

OK...3x3......with a cheater on the left beam.........ahhhh left rack........oh maybe....

Basic Member
    OK..Utah deer hunts are over....I mentioned the big 4 point I had seen pre season....well this week I am certain this is the same buck I have been watching 'this week'.....yea..3 weeks after the opener...here he is today in my field...flippin' me the bird.....oh well...still fun to watch & get his pic.....I'll bet they are brothers...or possibly father/son.........rut is on...neck is swollen......

ChicagoJoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah View Post
    OK..Utah deer hunts are over....I mentioned the big 4 point I had seen pre season....well this week I am certain this is the same buck I have been watching 'this week'.....yea..3 weeks after the opener...here he is today in my field...flippin' me the bird.....oh well...still fun to watch & get his pic.....I'll bet they are brothers...or possibly father/son.........rut is on...neck is swollen......

It looks like his is flipping you the hoof. Get him next year when he is even bigger.

That is the kind of Buck you wish you could shoot with a tranq and put a tracking beacon on just so you can figure out where in the hell he went to next year!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]