Thread: Action Screw Torque

Basic Member

Action Screw Torque

Sorry for keep bothering everyone. I am trying to torque action screws on Trr-Sr Tacticool Stock. I have read here where it is suggested 15-16 inch lbs. The front bottom plate screw and the front trigger screw are the ones going into metal, the other two going into the stock. The two going into the stock keeps stripping out before they reach 15 inch lbs. Do all four need to be tightened that much, or mainly just the machined screws? Thanks.

shanejohnson2002
    The two stock screws aren't action screws...they simply hold the bottom metal pieces into the stock. They are only wood screws, and will easily strip out the wood.

The two action screws should be torqued around 15 in/lb to start with. The wood screws only need to be snug.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I wont try torque those as much, after I plug them. Looks like Savage would have made the trigger guard and bottom plate one piece. I'm sure there is a reason they didn't. Thanks again.

shanejohnson2002
    No problem! If/when you get ready to start dialing in the torque, the "accepted" method is to start the rear screw low (0-2 in/lb) and go up in small increments until you reach 25 in/lb (27-30 is usually the absolute max anyone is willing to go on Mk.II action screws). Once you find a setting that produces a tight group, you repeat the process with the front screw.

I finally tried this with my Mk.IIG. I was skeptical that simple screw adjustments would make that big of a difference...and I was pleasantly surprised. At 25 in/lb front and rear, the groups shrank considerably. I suggest testing out different ammo, finding the brand your rifle likes, and then playing with the torque. Good luck!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson2002 View Post
    No problem! If/when you get ready to start dialing in the torque, the "accepted" method is to start the rear screw low (0-2 in/lb) and go up in small increments until you reach 25 in/lb (27-30 is usually the absolute max anyone is willing to go on Mk.II action screws). Once you find a setting that produces a tight group, you repeat the process with the front screw.

I finally tried this with my Mk.IIG. I was skeptical that simple screw adjustments would make that big of a difference...and I was pleasantly surprised. At 25 in/lb front and rear, the groups shrank considerably. I suggest testing out different ammo, finding the brand your rifle likes, and then playing with the torque. Good luck!
    Are you saying start with the back screw, and not tighten the front screw at all until I start getting tight groups?

shanejohnson2002
    No...tighten the front to 15, and start the back low. Move up in small increments (I did mine in 5 in/lb increments), shooting a 5 or 10-round group at each torque setting until you reach 25 or so, and then go back to the setting that gave you the tightest group. Then repeat this for the front screw with the back at the accurate setting you found.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/