Thread: Quick observations on a pair of new scopes

n4ue

Quick observations on a pair of new scopes

Hi, FWIW. Low - Low/Med price range

I recently purchased a couple of new scopes. This is not a detailed review but just the observations of an old fart who's been shooting scoped rifles for over 50 years. I know there are a lot of folks who enjoy the lower powered scopes, but I mostly target shoot and like the higher powered models.
    BTW, I still don't need glasses (YET) ha ha

1. Mueller 8-32X44mm. I have a couple of other Muellers and think very highly of them. The others are the Eradicator 1" tube models. This scope has a 30 mm tube and side focus, which is why I bought it. I've replaced almost all my AO scopes with SF. This model has very fine cross hairs with a tiny dot at the center. Probably not suited for hunting but great for punching paper. The dot is not illuminated like the other Muellers which is OK since I don't target shoot at night!
    I was very, very happy with the clarity, color transmission, and edge-to-edge sharpness. The eye relief was great and even at 32X the scope was crystal clear. At 50 yds, I was able to read the very small copyright info on the 'Shoot-N-C' targets.The scope's fit/finish was flawless. The scope does look a bit strange, due to the 30 mm tube and the 44 mm Objective. Since this is a SF, the Objective is small. I could NOT be more pleased with this scope. Mueller is 3 for 3 in my book.

2. Nikko Sterling 6-24X56mm. I still can't figger out why I bought this scope, probably curiosity. This scope has very few reviews. It's an Australian/English/Japanese/Chinese hybrid. ha ha Fit and finish is perfect. It is airgun rated with SF and illuminated mil-dots. It has excellent clarity throughout the power range, and perfect clarity all the way to the edges.
    The only 'down' side compared to the Mueller is that at max power, it eye box got touchy. Eye relief was fine.
    Considering that this scope cost almost 2X the Mueller, I like it but am also somewhat disappointed.

Feel free to PM me if you need more details...

ron

I have the same Mueller scope and like it a lot.

stangfish
    They are marketed by the same folks that manufacture and market Howa rifles. Their actions are top notch.

n4ue
    I have probably mentioned this before but memory fails me at the moment. I like you have decided that if I still want to shoot straight I need a scope, so 4-5 years ago decided to try the SWFA SS 20x with the rear adjustment for $299, best $299 scope I have ever used, crystal clear I can see my 223 bullet holes at 200 yards with ease. Since then I've bought 4 more, in the intrum I took up bench rest and bought 2 different Muellers one 6-25 & one 8-32 and a Weaver T36. I will admitt the Weaver is nice but not $200+ nicer than the Mueller. If I want I could probably get away with the SS and did for a while shooting BR.
    I also got a Redfeild 2-7 revolution for my 220f big mistake very hard to make out the circle when it is on the dark side, so after the hunting season it will get the 6x SS that is sitting in the cabinet, or maybe an old 1-5 BSA that I have on a ml.
    Like you I have no brand loyalty (except for my rifles all Savage) if it works and the price is right I'll go for it.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

n4ue
    Hi Froggy, thanks for the reply. I have always heard VERY positive things about the SS scopes. My only hesitation was that when I had the magnification, etc I wanted, the scopes were BIG $. I can remember when SWFA first started selling them due to the dropped USA contract...
    You may have read an older posting I wrote where I pulled a Tasco 20X (40mm obj) out of storage. This scope was purchased in the early 1970s. At the time I pulled it out, I had built a fixture here in my yard and had a bunch of different 'targets' (just for observation) placed at 75 yards.
    I will be the first to say, the old Tasco stunned me. Yes, it is Japanese and was pretty cheap. With a new home and family, I did not want to spend much.
    Recently, I have purchased and compared a lot of low to med priced scopes. The old Tasco (shiny finish, remember those? ha ha) still amazes me. This was at a time when the stigma "Made in Japan" was kinda like "Made in China" is today. However, being into electronics, it was soon obvious just how capable they were. Before I retired from IBM in 2001, I had made many a trip to Tokyo. They are wonderful, hard working people and their dedication to the corporation and quality still amazes me.
    On your Redfield, the Revolution has gotten some good ink. I purchased a Revenge just because it had the power, etc, I was looking for.
    The Revolution is "Made in the USA" (with off-shore parts) while the Revenge in made in the Philippines....... It's on the .17 WSM and it's excellent.
    Sorry to be so wordy, but suffering sticker shock from ordering parts to rebuild the carbs on my street rod.
    This 'new' #$%^&* gas has really messed them up!!

ron

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    BTW, I still don't need glasses (YET) ha ha

ron
    Well…..I'd comment on your post….but after your above statement about the glasses, I may never read any of your post again you lucky old fart.

Dave

n4ue
    Dave, yes, I am both lucky AND an Old Fart. In fact, one of my ex-gfs' nicknames for me was just that:
    "Old Fart".... ha ha
    Still have that on one of my m/c helmets.
    Nothing I did, believe me. Just good genes and LUCKY (so far!) ha ha

ron

davemuzz
    I'm sorry Ron…..I didn't read that last post because I didn't have my reading glasses on!!! Funny thing is I can see a gnat's eyelash at 300 yards….but I can't read a darn thing without glass's.

Dave

n4ue
    Dave, you are a riot. I DO use Dollar Store 'cheaters', (1.25) to shoot and watch TV. Because my eyes are 'different' than my shooting partner, I don't want him screwin' around with my scope eyepieces... ha ha
    I was injured in my left eye 40 years ago, that almost made me lose the eye. Thanks to an excellent eye surgeon, the eye healed better than anyone ever thought possible. Again, luck...Wait, if I was REALLY lucky, the accident would not have happened. Still, I'm grateful.

ron

davemuzz
    Wait…..are you saying you use the cheaters when you look thru the scope? I don't need my cheaters when I shoot…open sights or scope. If you use 'em when you shoot thru a scope…..man ….that is really weird. Don't tell me you do that?

Dave

n4ue
    Dave, I never said I WASN'T weird. Ever since I almost lost my eye back in the stone age, I'm a little paranoid about safety. Being the cheaters are plastic (and darn hard at that), I'm hoping they will help in case of a blown primer. I can easily adjust the scope's cross hairs without the specs, but it's just an old fart's habit!

r

davemuzz
    Ron,

Gotcha. And your right. You are weird. But hey…..if only you knew me…….