Thread: Hog Hunter in .308- Quick Question Please

Hog Hunter in .308- Quick Question Please

Just got a settlement check (don't get too excited- I cant retire early or anything), BUT I might be able to buy a new rifle. Looking at the Hog Hunter in .308- seems to get good reviews. Is affordable. I like the caliber. Question- can the sights be removed? I NEED to use a scope and for me leaving the sights on would be a deal breaker. Thanks-

Also- maybe I should start a new thread, looking at an excellent + condition Model 111 in 30-06 used. Looks totally stock, he is asking $430.00. Bore is clean and bright- no ascertainable issues. Worth it? Thanks again! Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Yes you can remove the sights. I have several more expensive Savages I built but my 223 Hog in the Choate is the best shooter.

Sights do come off. I used filler screws from the receiver to fill the holes

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Yes you can remove the sights. I have several more expensive Savages I built but my 223 Hog in the Choate is the best shooter.
    Hey Charlie- good to know! I have one on hold- in .308; gonna look at it tomorrow! Thanks! Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Just got a settlement check (don't get too excited- I cant retire early or anything), BUT I might be able to buy a new rifle. Looking at the Hog Hunter in .308- seems to get good reviews. Is affordable. I like the caliber. Question- can the sights be removed? I NEED to use a scope and for me leaving the sights on would be a deal breaker. Thanks-

Also- maybe I should start a new thread, looking at an excellent + condition Model 111 in 30-06 used. Looks totally stock, he is asking $430.00. Bore is clean and bright- no ascertainable issues. Worth it? Thanks again! Brian
    is there a decent scope on it?
    about 2 years ago i bought 2 nice lefty 110s. 1 a 7 mag and the other a 25/06 for $900.
    1 had an older 3x9 redfield the other a leupold vx3 3.5x10.
    a week earlier my brother in law bought a lefty 243 with a 3x9 leupold which
    was part of the same estate.
    they were sitting at quimbys gun shop on 313 on the south side of dublin.
    they sell lots of consignment guns and are very good to deal with.
    a good place to browse occaisionally.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post

There are many versions of 111's in 30-06 available. When considering buying used, look at what you might get new... I suggest checking out the prices of various new 111's at Budsgunshop.com or other online retailers. Typically, I would not pay more than $300 for typical 111. That's just my opinion, though.

wlleven
    If you have read my other postings on the Hog Hunter, you know I'm a big fan.

IMHO you are getting a very fine rifle with a semi varmint barrel, iron sights and the barrel is threaded.

I would look no further !

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 10-30-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    If you have red my other potings on the Hog Hunter, you know I'm a big fan.

IMHO you are getting a very fine rifle with a semi varmint barrel, iron sights and the barrel is threaded.

I would look no further !

wll
    Yeah! I gotta admit I'm pretty excited about the possibility of the Hog Hunter sitting next to my MK II Classic and my early 1990s 110 LA in .223 Rem. The price is great too- but my wife, who is currently the bread winner in our household (she works for a major Pharma Co. in our area) might be losing her job. If that happens the cost of that gun might buy us another month or insurance, etc. Not only the money, but she loves the folks she works with- and I got to meet them recently at a big get together. Some of the greatest minds nationally / internationally and to a person; kind, respectful, humble. My heart breaks for my wife and the many others who face job loss.

The Lord always takes care of us though- and though I hope we can swing getting this gun, I have been and am blessed! 'Course I'd be open to additional blessing in the shape of a Hog Hunter (in .308 please..)
    Thanks you guys! I love this board and I love the fact that Savage puts out superior firearms at reasonable cost!
    Brian

Basic Member
    Good luck to you and your family Crow. Times are tight and many are suffering, and my best wishes go out to all.

Basic Member
    Hang in there Brian
    I have known you long enough to know that you know God is in control
    Prayers and thoughts for you and yours
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Good luck to you and your family Crow. Times are tight and many are suffering, and my best wishes go out to all.
    AMEN Charlie! My "tag" or signature line says it all! Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    Hang in there Brian
    I have known you long enough to know that you know God is in control
    Prayers and thoughts for you and yours
    Jack
    THANKS BRO! Amen to that- darn good thing I'm NOT in control, LOL! Used to think I was before I met He Who Is. Brian