Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Opinions- Once-Fired .223 LC / 7 Brass BAD Primers (?)

Basic Member

After reading and rereading i belive i would take the brass that didn't fire and pull the bullet resize, reprime, reload and try it again. If it is a brass problem it should show up again at least on some of the brass. I would do this before i went thru all the trouble of repriming everything.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    i would take the brass that didn't fire and pull the bullet resize

I wouldn't FL resize it. If its short now it would still be short or even shorter depending how the die is setup and the chamber length. Its why I suggested a false shoulder with a slight crush chambering. A case can't move front or back, its jammed between the breach face and the false shoulder. It can only do one thing when fired, expand to the chamber dimensions.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    What i was suggesting Bill was to find out if it was a brass or primer problem. If he creates a false shoulder he will have no way to know if the brass was short enough to cause the problem. Then if the brass is too short he could create a false shoulder on the other brass and be good to go.
    Last edited by earl39; 10-31-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    If he creates a false shoulder he will have no way to know if the brass was short enough to cause the problem.

Sure he would. Its the purpose of a false shoulder, to lengthen the brass and keep the cartridge firmly against the boltface and the false shoulder regardless of the chamber length dimension. If the problem is in fact short head clearance then a false shoulder would be an instant indicator of such. If not then at least one of the three possible problems has been put to rest.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

OK Friends- we have to remember Brian is VERY new to reloading. Before today I thought a "false shoulder" were those old timey pads dudes used to have put in their suit jackets to make 'em hang right. Jam against the lands? Running a friggin' boat aground. BTW- although I know folks bump the bullet out till it touches the lands, I wont be doing that. Too scarey right now for me.

How would I go about de-capping the misfires (I'll call them for now)without re-sizing? Crank the decapping pin out the whole way or...?

The false shoulder seems very logical. But since I ONLY reload for .223, subsequently having only one set of dies, what do I have to buy die-wise to get them falsies? (Reminds me of this girlfriend I once had...)

Thanks for patience with the FNGR ("R" for reloader) Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    OK Friends- we have to remember Brian is VERY new to reloading. Before today I thought a "false shoulder" were those old timey pads dudes used to have put in their suit jackets to make 'em hang right. Jam against the lands? Running a friggin' boat aground. BTW- although I know folks bump the bullet out till it touches the lands, I wont be doing that. Too scarey right now for me.

How would I go about de-capping the misfires (I'll call them for now)without re-sizing? Crank the decapping pin out the whole way or...?

The false shoulder seems very logical. But since I ONLY reload for .223, subsequently having only one set of dies, what do I have to buy die-wise to get them falsies? (Reminds me of this girlfriend I once had...)

Thanks for patience with the FNGR ("R" for reloader) Brian

Well, first of all I need to apologize a bit. I been doing this stuff so long I tend to forget I was where your at a half of century ago.

To decapping live primers, I could probably could fill a five gallon bucket with the number I done for one reason or another. These days I use a Lee universal decapping die. I think when I bought mine it cost about 5-6 bucks.

You don't need another die depending on the manufacturer to make the falsies() only another expander button if it will screw on the rod. Just swap the 223 for a 243/6mm then run the brass in the die just far enough so the button goes into the shoulder then pull it back out.

Finally reinstall the 22 button back on the rod, back the die off then start adjusting it back down sizing the neck a little at a time until the bolt just closes on the brass with a hint of resistance. Its really a simple process especially after you've done it a gazillion times!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Well, first of all I need to apologize a bit. I been doing this stuff so long I tend to forget I was where your at a half of century ago.

To decapping live primers, I could probably could fill a five gallon bucket with the number I done for one reason or another. These days I use a Lee universal decapping die. I think when I bought mine it cost about 5-6 bucks.

You don't need another die depending on the manufacturer to make the falsies() only another expander button if it will screw on the rod. Just swap the 223 for a 243/6mm then run the brass in the die just far enough so the button goes into the shoulder then pull it back out.

Finally reinstall the 22 button back on the rod, back the die off then start adjusting it back down sizing the neck a little at a time until the bolt just closes on the brass with a hint of resistance. Its really a simple process especially after you've done it a gazillion times!

Bill
    No apology necessary Bill. You are being helpful and I appreciate that! Thanks for the info.- understandable and succinct. I wish I'd started reloading many years ago. Dad was into it BIG time, but he had a serious problem with the bottle; with my mom and with me. I did "inherit" his passion for guns / shooting and some of his ability. AND- to me at my ripening old age, nothing better than learning about what you love, and loving what you learn.

And no better place than here to do it! Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    I wish I'd started reloading many years ago.
    Well, I came by it honestly. My uncle was a gunwreaker, reloaded ammo for his customers and loved to play with weirdcats. I joke saying I was shooting a 7-08 years before there was a 7-08. I used to hang around his shop watching (bug'n) him while he worked. I guess I was eight or nine (1956-57!) when he started teaching me the fine art of reloading. It was only years later I discovered teaching wasn't his true purpose, I was cheap (say free) labor!

Bill

davemuzz
    I wish I'd started reloading many years ago.
    SC, I began to reload about ten years ago when I was forced to quit working because of this **** disease I have. Prior to that I did a minimal amount of shooting and most of my hunting was with flintlock rifles. But, when I could no longer golf or do a lot of those types of physical activities, plus being a "numbers guy" and my love of hunting, the shooting sports was a natural. I just began to read and subscribe to every shooting and reloading magazine I could and read piles of information.

Your never to late to teach an old dog a new trick.

BTW….of all the forums I visit, this one is my favorite. No politics, religion, "groupies" and the like. It's just the good discussion and sharing of knowledge.

FWIW

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    SC, I began to reload about ten years ago when I was forced to quit working because of this **** disease I have. Prior to that I did a minimal amount of shooting and most of my hunting was with flintlock rifles. But, when I could no longer golf or do a lot of those types of physical activities, plus being a "numbers guy" and my love of hunting, the shooting sports was a natural. I just began to read and subscribe to every shooting and reloading magazine I could and read piles of information.

Your never to late to teach an old dog a new trick.

BTW….of all the forums I visit, this one is my favorite. No politics, religion, "groupies" and the like. It's just the good discussion and sharing of knowledge.

FWIW

Dave
    well said Dave. This forum has moderators that run a tight ship...
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

UPDATE...UPI SELLERSVILLE PA>

I finally got around to "testing" the primers on the Scharch LC once fired and primed brass. Lubed 40 casings, hearing and eye protection on, nice thick piece of slate from my patio, favorite hammer. Whack whack etc.; five primers did not detonate. Another took two hits to detonate but I might have not hit it head on. On my initial loading four out of 20 did not detonate. I'm thinking the problem was probably with the primers.

Also on punching out (carefully) the live primers I FL resized the brass. Although it came sized and primed, it "felt" different; a little tighter feel, a slight bit more pressure needed on the downstroke than the other brass I've resized. BUT I am thinking that because this brass was 1- fired in another rifle and 2- sized on a commercial press, that this difference in feeling probably doesn't mean anything? Thoughts / opinions welcome.

As always- thanks! BTW- my new young neighbors think I'm really cool, "for being an older guy"! These young folks; just because I'm seen going and coming at all hours with guns, and hammering primers in the back yard...LOL

Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12