Thread: .223 Hog Hunter conversion to BDM

Autodog

.223 Hog Hunter conversion to BDM

I called Savage today to get a get a floorplate and magazine to replace the blind magazine which I dislike very much. I was told I would have to buy an aftermarket stock first. Why can't I purchase a floorplate and magazine to convert over? I already know I can't use the existing stock. Does anyone know the part numbers so I can just call savage and buy what I need without having to explain what I want? Is there a better place to get factory parts to accomplish what I need? Would I be better off just spending the extra money on a CDI set-up?

PS I am thinking about a Boyds Classic or Prairie Hunter for a stock
    Last edited by Autodog; 10-28-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling

wlleven
    Autodog:

I feel your pain.

What I may do instead of buying a new stock and an adapter kit is just buy a MDT LSS stock and be done with it. They are made for magazines in a 5 or 10 configuration. No need to bed or ?, just bolt on.

They are $399.00, so you figure a new stock and adapter kit for your magazine is going to be that. I like the fact that they use AR gips and stocks, so you have lots of choices there.

Just throwing out an idea.

wll

Call Savage and tell them you want to buy the magazine frame and magazine don't say what stock it's for. If they ask if you have a stock tell them yes. If the mod on the ugly green stock don't work then buy a boyds.

The part number for a centerfeed short action steel DBM is 106238 ($68 from Savage, IIRC).

The 223 DBM magazine is #55155 ($50 from Savage, IIRC).
    Last edited by BoilerUP; 10-28-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Wrong magazine part number listed

Autodog
    Thanks for the replies! Now maybe I can get this sorted out with very little drama.

I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys keep buying these Hog Hunters just to convert them over to DBM's. Sure would be a lot cheaper, easier and smarter to just start with a DBM model in the first place. After all, most every one I've seen has a scope slapped on it so the open sights aren't needed which is the only thing the Hog Hunter offers that isn't available on another model with a DBM.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Autodog
    J. Baker, I will keep my iron sights on the HH and they will also be sighted in at 50 yards along with having a 2-7 Redfield scope. I like the medium weight barrel and I plan on putting on a flash hider. Everyone has ideas on what their rifle should be and how it should be equipped. I will enjoy the fact that I have my rifle set up the way I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys keep buying these Hog Hunters just to convert them over to DBM's. Sure would be a lot cheaper, easier and smarter to just start with a DBM model in the first place.

I'd agree with you if the 10TR was a widely available catalog model...but its not.

Using Bud's Gun Shop pricing, the 11 Hog Hunter is $434; the next comparable model (heavy, non-26" 223/308 barrel with threaded muzzle) with DBM is the 10FP-SR, priced at $631

Given that the factory DBM frame and a magazine runs roughly $120, that still leaves one over $70 to put toward a replacement stock - and many folks want to replace the factory tupperware anyway.