Thread: FFL to buy 10 ML?

FFL to buy 10 ML?

Do I need a FFL to buy a 10 ML? I am in Michigan. Thanks,
    newbie from gr, mi.

For an original 10ML - yes. For the 10ML-II - no.

The BATF determined that the original 10ML could to easily be converted to a centerfire rifle and thus deemed that it would be subject to a 4473 form and background check. This is why Savage redesigned it after the first year which resulted in the 10ML-II which does NOT need to have a 4473 form and background check run.

However, there are some gun dealers out there who are just ignorant - even some of the higher volume and more reputable shops. The shop where I bought my 10ML-II back in the fall of 2002 is a prime example. Even though the BAFT doesn't require a background check on the 10ML-II the dealer where I bought mine wouldn't sell it to me without doing it - even after I spent 15 minutes arguing with him about it and explaining why I didn't need to. I ultimately just did the 4473 and background check to get the gun I wanted and get out of there. I really can't blame the dealer - they were just covering their own rears with the BATF based on the prior years model not meeting muzzleloader requirements.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    You might want to check on that , Jim. I do believe that there was a ruling about any muzzle loading firearm that uses a modern centerfire primer for ignition was subject to a 4473.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You might want to check on that , Jim. I do believe that there was a ruling about any muzzle loading firearm that uses a modern centerfire primer for ignition was subject to a 4473.
    This is the most recent BATF document I can find on the subject. See Page 2, right column, middle of page. Based on my understanding of this, only those modern inline muzzleloaders (using a #209 primer ignition) which can easily be converted to a centerfire rifle via barrel swap (like those listed) are required to have 4473 paperwork done.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...er-2005-02.pdf

This is off the current BATF website. See the answer to FAQ #1 starting at the bottom of Page 2 and leading into Page 3. Note that the first version of the Savage 10ML is specifically listed here as needing 4473 paperwork.

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/i...top-10-qas.pdf

If all muzzleloaders using a #209 primer required a 4473 then Bass Pro, Cabela's or anyone else wouldn't be able to sell them online and ship them directly to the customer like they do.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Jim et Fred, Thanks for the info.
    I just placed my order for 10 ml II online, the website did not ask for FFL, gulp, hopefully it will come through.
    newbie from gr, mi.

update:
    The ML was scheduled for delivery on Thursday, it showed that it was loaded on to the UPS truck at 515 am.
    Every time I left home I reminded my mother that she will need to answer the door and sign for the package. Lunch went by, dinner went by nothing. At 645 pm I heard a "thump" near the main door but no bell. I walked over to the door, opened it, found a rather large package and caught the back of a skinny young UPS girl (temp holiday staff) running back to her vehicle.
    She did not even ring the door bell when I thought I had to sign for it, wow!

Excitement, I opened the package and found a shiny ML with a box of accessories.

Q: Should there have been some kind of a power measure (by vol) thing as part of the accessories?
    newbie from gr, mi.