I purchased a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter package with the Nikon 3-9x40 scope package chambered in 300 win mag. No ammo I tried would shoot better than a pie plate at 100 yards. After some reading (thank you forum) and some experimentation, I now I have a sub MOA (<half MOA) rifle.

Here is what I learned and the changes I made to get this rifle to this point:

Stopped using a bi-pod. It causes the plastic stock to flex up and negates the free floating of the barrel. This brought groups down to 4-6".
Adjusted accu-triger down to 2.5 lbs.
Found that the trigger needs to 're-seat' after adjustment, so dry firing it 100 times makes it much better.
Worked on some handloads (with limited magnum powders at hand).
Took the dremel tool to the forend, ensuring that the stock at the very front had a 3/16" gap around the barrel on both the sides and bottom.
Re-seat the action by removing it, re-seating it, snug front screw, snug rear screw, re-snug front screw, tighten rear screw, tighten front screw. (at this point noticed rear screw tightened over more turning than the front, which essentially went tight immediately.)
Added a steel Warne 1 piece scope base.

At this point, I had the rifle shooting 1.5" groups. I was very dissipointed and frustrated. I demand much more consistency from all my guns. This was my first Savage and my expectations were much higher.

Inspected rear of action and noticed that one side of the safety area was free floated, but the bolt-handle side was touching in a few places.
Took dremel tool to the area rubbing, and the first 1/4" section right in front of the bolt-handle.
Re-seated action.

Noticed immediately that the rifle was shooting a foot low and a foot right after this change...took that as a hopeful sign.

Re-sighted in scope.
Rifle was then 1MOA.

Worked up a handload of 185gr berger VLD Hunting, Federal brass (fire formed, trimmed, chamfered, deburred), 66gr. H4350, Rem 9.5 primer. Seated just short enough to fit the magazine.
Shoots .365" groups @ 100 yards. I'm satisfied.

Went out and had my son fill his tag and kill his first deer.

Now very satisfied with this rifle. Thank you Savage (but do better on the free float inspections) and thank you Savage Shooters Forum!

~Cap.