Thread: Edge 223

Outdoorsmen85

Edge 223

I noticed when the edge rifle came out that they changed to axis wasn't quite sure as of why but what's the diff ? I contacted savage but didn't get a definite answer. Anyway since I bought it I installed a egw 20 moa base and put rifle basix trigger in it shoots excellent but been seeing these newer stocks and want to know what's to benefit from them.

Basic Member
    No difference between the Edge/Axis. The name was changed do to a copyright infringement on the name. Believe it had to do with the Ford Edge or something like that.

In the factory stock the Axis is a great lightweight short range deer rifle, but the factory tupperware stock isn't any good for shooting consistently tight groups as it has too much flex in multiple areas. Many have gone through a process of reinforcing the factory stock thoroughly through running metal bars through the weak areas and then filling it with an epoxy mixture.

Earlier this month Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) and Boyds released new Laminate wood stocks for the Axis.

I have not handled the boyds stock, but from looking at pictures it looks as though it is an improvement material wise, but lacks some of the upgrades that have gone into the SSS stocks.

I own the SSS stocks. The current one out on the market from SSS is the Pro Hunter. I can tell you it is a solid performer and a true drop in if sticking with the factory barrel. You will see an instant increase in the consistency of groupings from this stock.

Where it fell slightly short for me was in the length of pull as I am 6'5'' 230lbs. So I did a few modifications in order to use it in local long range competitions out to 890yds. There are pictures over in my build thread of this stock. I also opened up the barrel channel to drop in a heavier contour barrel to suit the purpose I intended to use it for.

The second Stock that will be coming from SSS shortly is the Pro Tac (Pictures of my rig are in a few areas of the forum now if you search for it.) This stock fit everything I needed right out of the box that I wanted for my Axis. Only thing I did was a quick paint job since Fred of SSS was kind enough to ship it out to me unfinished.

Both of these stocks are reinforced where they need to be and will last a lifetime for most users. The inlet is CNC'd to very tight tolerances and don't require glass bedding as far as I'm concerned. My best grouping to date was 5 shots measured at .442 inches. I haven't got out to the range yet with the Pro Tac stock as I just received it on Monday. Only physical upgrade other than paint I've done is Permanently bed the Recoil lug into the stock to maintain a more precise and repeatable fit!

If you want your Axis to be a little more than a well performing beat around hunting rifle a laminate stock whether the boyds or the SSS stocks will be a definite performance enhancer.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.