Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to take my first deer

Looking to take my first deer

Rifle season isn't quite underway yet so I'm still hunting with a bow.

My problem is this: my friends that hunt are always busy and I can never seem to get our schedules to coincide. I'm tired of waiting and fear the season may pass me by (again) if I wait for the stars to line up. My friends just say the heck with it--just go.

Now I'm confident I can do the set-up and kill--my problem is that I have never field-dressed anything. Since I hunt late afternoon dusk--my feeling is that after a kill I'll be benighted out in the boondocks and will make a mess out of dressing the deer--especially since it would be my first time and it would likely be dark. I've bought several books/videos but none of them seem to do a complete explanation with good illustrations geared towards a complete numskull first-timer (me).

What, if any, are my alternatives/recommendations??
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Thermaler the honest truth is no book,video or youtube is going to help, may show the basics but thats it. Even a friend over your shoulder isn't much help. Until you have done it a couple of times expect a MESS, until you get a system of some sort expect a MESS.
    Almost all of us hunters have been in your shoes,lets face it there is always a FIRST TIME. Go hunting, make your shot count then worry about it.
    Two things you must have a sharp knife and a good bright light that will last( extra batteries). Then pack a pair or three surgical gloves, a packet of baby wipes(for you not the deer), 10-12 feet of rope for dragging out, a small towel to wipe the sweat off as you drag, a couple or 3 cold beers when you get home but definately some water with you.
    Just Do it. Then show us the pics of your trophy.
    I'm 61 and have hunted for 40 some years and can still remember the first deer I shot and most of the hunts I went on solo and with friends. Don't deny yourself the memories, go for it & good luck.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I'm thinking about dragging out first before dressing--I guess one question I have is how long--if at all--can I leave the carcass "undressed" before damaging the taste of the meat? Thanks so much for your response and encouragement.

Basic Member
    Not long if it doesn't get cold soon. Also get a decent head-strap light for hands free.

jb6.5
    We don't field dress any deer or hogs. Never had a problem, just don't throw em in the back of the truck and drive around for hours showing it off. We bring them in soon as we can and undress em.

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm thinking about dragging out first before dressing--I guess one question I have is how long--if at all--can I leave the carcass "undressed" before damaging the taste of the meat? Thanks so much for your response and encouragement.
    A lot of that depends on shot placement and caliber used. How big a mess did the bullet make and what part of the internals did it hit. There is always the "hang em up and cut the meat off the bones without cutting open the belly or chest cavity till tenderloin time method." which I prefer. It saves space in the cooler and the freezer with no bones and no worry about contamination from the internals. Most of the meat on a deer is accessible without cutting open the chest or belly so doing that last to get at the small oh so delicious tenderloins makes sense to me.
    Lots of different ways to do it you'll just have to see what works for you.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

jb6.5
    Love them tenderloins!!!! We started making a cut on the side after we cut the blackstrap out, reach in and pull out the tl without having to gut em at all. I also dejoint the hindquarters off the pelvis so I never have to mess with any internals blater ect. Works great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jb6.5 View Post
    Love them tenderloins!!!! We started making a cut on the side after we cut the blackstrap out, reach in and pull out the tl without having to gut em at all. I also dejoint the hindquarters off the pelvis so I never have to mess with any internals blater ect. Works great for us.

This is how I do it as well. Not sure where you live but here in Az I hunt the small coues deer. I cut the meat off the bones right there on the mountain throw the meat in some cheap pillow cases wrap them up and throw them in the back pack and head down. Never mess with gutting them out. I'm sure your deer are much bigger than ours though and won't fit in a pack.

jb6.5
    They ain't very big. Lol. A doe will average about 90lbs. Bucks will vary, killed one a couple years ago weighed 170. He was 6 1/2 years old. Got one last year same age, weighed 150. Some people say they kill em bigger, guess I just find the small ones. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Not long if it doesn't get cold soon. Also get a decent head-strap light for hands free.
    It's gonna get pretty cool/cold here in northern GA/southern TN the next few days--I'm so excited I can hardly stand it--some of my buddies think the rut may even start sooner than usual.
    Last edited by thermaler; 10-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Well the ones I'm talking about weigh about 110-120 tops on the hoof for a buck so after cutting everything off the bone your left with about 40-50 pounds of venison to pack out.

jb6.5
    That's small. What cal. Do you hunt em with.

The head lamp is what I should have stated, Pelzar or Cabela's are good ones.
    As for field dressing I do it as soon as I can (in the woods). For a inexpierenced hunter dragging one out undressed could be quite a chore and boning one almost impossible. Don't risk loosing the meat, you work to hard to get it.
    One thing I forgot bring your cell phone and call a friend for help if needed, dragging one is no fun, I have left a few big bucks go because I was alone with no help around (very bad back). Another idea is get together with a couple of buddies and build or buy a good deer cart for carrying out, bigger wheels and heavey duty are better.
    Just a few more suggestions for you to consider.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I was shown by a guide out west on how to do a complete field dress that is simple and easy and you don't even open the chest or abdomen. We have started using it exclusively. It works great if you can't get it back to where you can hang it.

First you remove the hide. Make cuts in the hide around all four legs just above the ankle. Slit the hide up the inside of the leg to the body. Cut the hide from the neck down to the anus just inside the hide not cutting any of the chest and abdomen. Cut the hide entirely off the carcass. Now that it's naked your going to section off and remove all 4 quarters. Cut off the head and then cut off the neck if you want the neck roast. Finally lay the carcass belly down and remove the backstraps by making long cuts from the spine in while pulling the backstraps away from the spine. It will cut out in one long strip. Now you have four full quarters, the neck roast and two long backstraps. We leave the rest for the coyotes. You only lose the inside tenderloins but they are small sometimes shot up anyway depending on shot placement. You get very little blood on you as you never open up the inside. You can now take the quarters home and part them out by muscle group for steaks, chops, roasts or whatever you fancy.

To answer the origional question by the OP I agree with others. Have fun and make a clean kill. If your not willing to try this or any other type of in the field dressing just load it up and take it home. If it's cold (less than 45 degrees) you have time. Many a hunter has shot a deer and did not find it until the next day. Not a problem. Better to wait and do it right then end up with a mess or worse cutting yourself in the dark. In our hunting camp we have a tradition with the kids. The first one we do while they watch. The second they do with help and the third they do alone. That and they have to take a bite out of the heart.

I also want to say it's a shame so many people don't like venison. The reason is usually the local butcher. Too many hunters take their deer to the local butcher for processing. These butchers do hundreds of deer so the way they do it is for speed not quality. They skin and hang them in the cooler then section them out and run them through the band saw cutting through the bones and leaving all the silver sinew which tastes horrible. I won't eat a venison steak with a circular bone piece in the middle. BLEECH! Buthering a deer is very easy. With a sharp knife separate all the muscle groups cutting out anything silver leaving just a nice piece of meat. Each muscle group can then be cut into steaks, medallions, chops or left as roasts. The last part is most way over cook their venison. Venison has NO fat in it. It should be cooked rare and marinated if possible. Remember that even after you take it out of the oven or off the grill it will still cook for awhile from the heat so take it off early while you think it is too rare. By the time it rests it will have cooked to perfection. Light pink to still red is what you want in the middle.

**** I just made myself hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleshooter308 View Post
    I was shown by a guide out west on how to do a complete field dress that is simple and easy and you don't even open the chest or abdomen. We have started using it exclusively. It works great if you can't get it back to where you can hang it.

First you remove the hide. Make cuts in the hide around all four legs just above the ankle. Slit the hide up the inside of the leg to the body. Cut the hide from the neck down to the anus just inside the hide not cutting any of the chest and abdomen. Cut the hide entirely off the carcass. Now that it's naked your going to section off and remove all 4 quarters. Cut off the head and then cut off the neck if you want the neck roast. Finally lay the carcass belly down and remove the backstraps by making long cuts from the spine in while pulling the backstraps away from the spine. It will cut out in one long strip. Now you have four full quarters, the neck roast and two long backstraps. We leave the rest for the coyotes. You only lose the inside tenderloins but they are small sometimes shot up anyway depending on shot placement. You get very little blood on you as you never open up the inside. You can now take the quarters home and part them out by muscle group for steaks, chops, roasts or whatever you fancy.

To answer the origional question by the OP I agree with others. Have fun and make a clean kill. If your not willing to try this or any other type of in the field dressing just load it up and take it home. If it's cold (less than 45 degrees) you have time. Many a hunter has shot a deer and did not find it until the next day. Not a problem. Better to wait and do it right then end up with a mess or worse cutting yourself in the dark. In our hunting camp we have a tradition with the kids. The first one we do while they watch. The second they do with help and the third they do alone. That and they have to take a bite out of the heart.

I also want to say it's a shame so many people don't like venison. The reason is usually the local butcher. Too many hunters take their deer to the local butcher for processing. These butchers do hundreds of deer so the way they do it is for speed not quality. They skin and hang them in the cooler then section them out and run them through the band saw cutting through the bones and leaving all the silver sinew which tastes horrible. I won't eat a venison steak with a circular bone piece in the middle. BLEECH! Buthering a deer is very easy. With a sharp knife separate all the muscle groups cutting out anything silver leaving just a nice piece of meat. Each muscle group can then be cut into steaks, medallions, chops or left as roasts. The last part is most way over cook their venison. Venison has NO fat in it. It should be cooked rare and marinated if possible. Remember that even after you take it out of the oven or off the grill it will still cook for awhile from the heat so take it off early while you think it is too rare. By the time it rests it will have cooked to perfection. Light pink to still red is what you want in the middle.

**** I just made myself hungry!
    This all is great--thanks.

Basic Member
    the recipe for cooking a rabbit is #1 get the rabbit.
    the head lamp and gloves are a good idea. if a stream is nearby drag it there before gutting.
    it makes cleanup easier. the biggest problem is the bone in the pelvis area under which is the
    urinary system. a small ax works well on that. some things can be left till later and that can be one of them.
    get the hide off asap.

tt123
    I know that this is a roe deer and not the same species as you'll be hunting, but this is an excellent instructional video on how to field dress the deer. Don't forget to turn on the captions though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bii_efk0EuM

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    the recipe for cooking a rabbit is #1 get the rabbit.
    I presume you mean deer?

Just got back from a business trip to FL--to add insult to injury I saw deer everywhere on the way there and back--even in FL--on the sides of the highway--both alive and run-over.

Basic Member
    A sharp knife (some prefer a filet knife) is a must, but bring some sort of sharpening agent too. If you are going to field dress, keeping the blade dressed will make everything go that much faster. It's a good way to take a break and refine your plan in between sections too

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    This is how I do it as well. Not sure where you live but here in Az I hunt the small coues deer. I cut the meat off the bones right there on the mountain throw the meat in some cheap pillow cases wrap them up and throw them in the back pack and head down. Never mess with gutting them out. I'm sure your deer are much bigger than ours though and won't fit in a pack.
    Wow you guy's are leaving the fish (under side loins) you have to field dress to get them out there the best cut of meat on a deer.:) Seriously thermaler just do it, You really can't screw it up too bad, Nothing that can't be washed up or fixed buy the butcher. Good luck!!!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper15545 View Post
    Wow you guy's are leaving the fish (under side loins) you have to field dress to get them out there the best cut of meat on a deer.:) Seriously thermaler just do it, You really can't screw it up too bad, Nothing that can't be washed up or fixed buy the butcher. Good luck!!!
    Oh--I've already decided to toss caution to the wind and just go for it--all I have to do now is actually bag a deer. I've been out 4 times now, and only when on approach to my intended site have I seen deer (running away). At times I've been pretty far in--having bush-whacked in a couple of miles over pretty steep terrain and it occured to me that I might have a heck of a time dragging something out in the event I got lucky : ) Stay tuned--most things I start anew turn out to be epics and I'm sure this will be a stellar one LOL.

DgTerrell
    This upcoming season will be my second time going deer hunting and I'm in the same boat you are. I've been reading up on field dressing today and watching this video my state's fish and wildlife put on YouTube. The video shows how to field dress, but they offer a DVD you can buy that also shows how to butcher as well. I've heard they have sold a ton of them. As silly as it sounds, if I'm not sure what to do next when field dressing, I plan on pulling my phone out and watching the video lol. Probably will get bashed for that, but if it means saving the meat and not wasting a kill, then make fun all you want!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU&app=m

thanks for all the great info guys! : )

Quote Originally Posted by DgTerrell View Post
    This upcoming season will be my second time going deer hunting and I'm in the same boat you are. I've been reading up on field dressing today and watching this video my state's fish and wildlife put on YouTube. The video shows how to field dress, but they offer a DVD you can buy that also shows how to butcher as well. I've heard they have sold a ton of them. As silly as it sounds, if I'm not sure what to do next when field dressing, I plan on pulling my phone out and watching the video lol. Probably will get bashed for that, but if it means saving the meat and not wasting a kill, then make fun all you want!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU&app=m
    My cell often doesn't work when I get "deep into the weeds."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast