Thread: First semi-custom build

GOODWIN

First semi-custom build

Another new guy here needing advice...imagine that. Just acquired a model 111 in 7mm Rem mag with DBM that I'm using for my base. Really just trying to get my feet wet in long-range shooting and wanting to build my first rig. Components I'm considering (from what little research I've done) are McGowen Varmint contour 26", Boyd's tacticool stock, timney or rifle basix trigger, and Vortex optics. Like I said I'm all ears to any and all suggestions. I have very little gunsmithing experience (bedded one rifle and few other small jobs) and plan to get a buddy to help with the headspace and all that. There seems to be a fair amount of barrels available for the 111 but I'm having trouble finding many stock options that won't empty the wallet. I'd like to shoot the heavier bullets (180gr) and keep this rifle as light as possible as I'd like to carry it hunting some. Also did I say I'm on a budget? Thanks for any advice you can give. Am I even on the right track? Look forward to gaining knowledge here and hopefully I can add what little I do know.

Welcome
    If you don't hand load, a starter kit would be a great place to spend a portion of your budget. A load tuned to your rifle is probably the biggest accuracy improvement you can make for the money spent. Savages are notorious for out of the box accuracy and tuning a load for one can lead to stunning results.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    On a budget, why not tune up the trigger and keep the Savage barrel to find out how it shoots. Yea, get a good stock and invest in a nice scope. I've done what you are talking about several times and will tell you my best shooter is a 223 Hog Hunter,stock barrel, tuned Accutrigger, and Choate stock.

GOODWIN
    Yes I plan to reload for this gun. This is the non-accutrigger model. Can that trigger be worked or should I go ahead a buy aftermarket? I've adjusted a rem 700 trigger before fairly easy. Would a boyd's tacticool stock be a good choice for a rifle I plan to hunt with? Guess I can always try to make the original stock work the best I can. Sorry, newbie here with lots of ?'s

Basic Member
    The trigger can be improved, it's up to you if it's acceptable to you or not.

The trigger is a fairly easy fix as long as you keep plenty of arch in the trigger return spring and lock all the adjustments down when completed. Does yours have a sear adjustment on it? If so it can be tuned nicely to about 2#.
    Factory stock can be bedded as well as stiffened (never really found that necessary) or otherwise tweaked to your satisfaction. It's an inexpensive fun learning project and hey a factory takeoff synthetic is a about $35 if you screw it up beyond repair which is very doubtful. you also get the satisfaction of "I did that"
    There are lots of easy on the budget improvements to the original equipment that can be done to an older flat back actioned Savage.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Does your trigger have straight or coiled wire spring; can be changed to lighter weight? How many adjustment screws? You can also polish trigger/ sear contact surfaces (ultra fine stone). After a little work all my Savage triggers are very nice; don't think I would buy aftermarket again.

Basic Member
    If you plan to carry this gun some or hunt a good bit you might want to consider a light varmint contour barrel or something lighter than a varmint.

Basic Member
    Yea and if you really are planning on hunting with it, I'd reconsider that 26" part as well. Make sure a tactical stock is confortable to hunt with for YOU. If you like it go for it.

Sounds like you really need two guns!