Thread: Help with ID'ing and restoring this old pump action .22

NewtonD

Help with ID'ing and restoring this old pump action .22

Hi all, my dad pulled an old family hand me down .22 pump action out of a closet this past weekend and found it shooting pretty well. He called me tonight saying there was an issue with the magazine and asking if I could help him track down a replacement for the rod that seals the tube mag.

All I've been able to determine so far is that its an old Ranger, built by Savage but branded as a store gun (Sears maybe?). The serial number is 142152K. A quick look around indicated that Brownells might carry a mag tube that fits, part number 895-871-600...can anyone tell me more about the rifle, and if that mag would work? Or at least point us in a better direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

You might check Numrich gun parts corp. They usually have a pretty good selection of older parts. the site there can be kind of hard to use and I usually have my best luck finding parts by using the search manufacturers by letter function. They have a section for Sears guns but you will probably need a model # instead of the serial to look it up. See if you can figure out what model it is and you're on your way.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I don't know if that Brownell's tube will work or not, I think not - it seems to be for the old semi-autos which I believe to be different from the pumps. Numrich shows out. A tube from a Savage 29, 29-A, or 29-B should work. The later ones will just protrude slightly more from the outer tube when fully inserted if your gun took an early type, and the outer tube would have to have the end shortened if it took a later tube & you found an early one - I am not sure just when they made the change. Savage used a different diameter tube than other manufacturers and when I looked for sources for just tubing I could not find any, it's not a standard size. Bob's Gun Parts offers tubes but I have never tried them or bought anything from them - http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/ it's listed toward the bottom of the page as a Stevens 29-A inner tube @ $45 - I have never seen one of theirs so I cannot be sure it's the correct one.

From the serial number I can tell your guns was made on a Savage Model 29 action and is late production - the house brands were serial numbered along with the Savage named guns with the 'K' added to show it was a house brand in the books. Ranger was a Sears brand as you suspected. Your gun would have the changes made to the Model 29 for use with Hi-Speed but I feel they are still a marginal action for continued use of anything but standard velocity - the changes only were to support the rear of the rear of the case better and had little or nothing to do with making the action any stronger.
    Last edited by Sav22; 10-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.