Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis SR thread

sentinelfour

Axis SR thread

show what you got on the end of your threaded muzzle model!

fsr402
    there is a threaded muzzle model? sweet

Basic Member
    mine started out it's life as an Axis SR. Now all that's left is the action!

I own 2 bone stock, bought with high hopes for later. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas.

Basic Member
    Scopeless:

I've already posted this pic in the Axis picture thread, but this is my SR after I put my scope on it. I had a cheapie flash suppressor already that I put on it for looks, but took it off later. I thought about a muzzle brake like Sentineflour, but I know it really isn't needed on the .223. What I would really like to put on the end of it is a suppressor. I'm not sure if I want to invest that much money into a suppressor just yet. Time will tell.

sentinelfour
    Wish I could get a suppressor, badly. I've heard of people reloading with a minimal amount of powder and making loads of just a couple hundred FPS, well below sound barrier, and having extremely low reports with a suppressor. Oh well, I went the opposite route with that compensator, instead it sends thunder in all directions but the rear. Hardly any recoil too.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinelfour View Post
    Wish I could get a suppressor, badly. I've heard of people reloading with a minimal amount of powder and making loads of just a couple hundred FPS, well below sound barrier, and having extremely low reports with a suppressor.
    SAFETY NOTE: What you have heard is not entirely accurate and could get you injured or worse:
    As the robot in Lost in Space used to say: "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

There is a lot more to subsonic loads than just putting a small amount of powder into a cartridge.
    (Also most effective subsonic loads usually are a lot faster than just a couple hundred FPS.)

To everyone: Please do not attempt to develop subsonic or reduced loads until you have done a lot more research. The bottom line is that with the wrong powder and a light load, you run the very real risk of the powder detonating all at once, instead of burning at a controlled burn rate. The result can be catastrophic.

Please do NOT respond with anecdotal evidence about how your buddy or you were able to develop your super duper subsonic load. This is not a reloading thread.

To the OP: I am not attacking you personally, but partial knowledge can be dangerous. I felt that I needed to insert a safety note because of what you said you had heard. Subsonic load development certainly can be done, and done safely, but it involves much more attention to detail than perhaps you have been led to believe.

Now: back to the topic at hand.

A couple of hundred feet per second? I can't even shoot that slowly with my bow LOL
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

sentinelfour
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    SAFETY NOTE: What you have heard is not entirely accurate and could get you injured or worse:
    As the robot in Lost in Space used to say: "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

There is a lot more to subsonic loads than just putting a small amount of powder into a cartridge.
    (Also most effective subsonic loads usually are a lot faster than just a couple hundred FPS.)

To everyone: Please do not attempt to develop subsonic or reduced loads until you have done a lot more research. The bottom line is that with the wrong powder and a light load, you run the very real risk of the powder detonating all at once, instead of burning at a controlled burn rate. The result can be catastrophic.

Please do NOT respond with anecdotal evidence about how your buddy or you were able to develop your super duper subsonic load. This is not a reloading thread.

To the OP: I am not attacking you personally, but partial knowledge can be dangerous. I felt that I needed to insert a safety note because of what you said you had heard. Subsonic load development certainly can be done, and done safely, but it involves much more attention to detail than perhaps you have been led to believe.

Now: back to the topic at hand.
    Guess I shouldn't have been so vague. I believe I read it was 950 fps with special powder. Anyways, have a mod delete that post.

(Moderator's note from Thomae: 950 fps sounds reasonable for a subsonic velocity. I am not planning to delete your earlier post. I know you were not trying to spread "Bad" information and no one is upset with you. I am leaving it there so that a reader can understand the reason for my warning. In your own way you are helping others to learn. I hope you understand and don't mind.)
    Last edited by thomae; 10-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.

10. 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
    Reason
    Off topic.

sentinelfour
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Scopeless: I thought about a muzzle brake like Sentineflour, but I know it really isn't needed on the .223.
    Mine is actually a .223 as well. I chose that brake/ comp. to minimize recoil, or at least, what there really is. There is a big difference shooting with it on/off, and with a flash hider. I find I shoot with better form with it on because I can remain completely motionless through the shot, and staying on target during the follow through. Something that cannot be down with big rifles. So the brake does serve a purpose on a low recoil round like the .223.

Basic Member
    Here is the development of my Axis SR from Beginning when I picked it up to where it is today.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.

sentinelfour
    Not gonna lie Lone Wolf, that stock was beautiful before being painted. I've seen 12 year olds make better camo on airsoft guns. Can you sand it down?

Fatalis
    I wish I had gotten an SR...I'd like to throw a brake on my .308 but...ain't gonna happen with the sporter barrel...at least not a threaded one...clamp ons don't quite do it for me.

Basic Member
    I liked the grain and I could sand it down, but I like my camo job. I painted it because I have another laminate stock in my Pro Hunter and laminates just get boring after awhile.

To each their own!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-25-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Not gonna lie Lone Wolf, that stock was beautiful before being painted. I've seen 12 year olds make better camo on airsoft guns. Can you sand it down?
    I think you're being a tad harsh--it's his gun and build, and if he wants to put pink pokadots on it so what.

PS--we want grouping shots LW--we've seen plenty of the gun. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Last comment :

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

That's all I have to say about that!

Axis270
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Last comment :

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

That's all I have to say about that!
    Spoken like a true Rifleman!

Basic Member
    As long as YOU like the rifle, that is all that matters. I customize my rifles in ways that others might not. But, I really don't care as long as I like it.

sentinelfour
    Sorry LoneWolf you did so much better with the camo in the second picture, where it's mostly olive drab it seems. Of course, as long as YOU like it, heck, maybe that camo goes perfectly with the terrain and brush in your area, and that's what matters. And with the laminate stock and S/S barrel, I bet it's an amazing shooter.
    Last edited by sentinelfour; 10-26-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Basic Member
    Sorry LoneWolf you did so much better with the camo in the second picture, where it's mostly olive drab it seems. Of course, as long as YOU like it, heck, maybe that camo goes perfectly with the terrain and brush in your area, and that's what matters. And with the laminate stock and S/S barrel, I bet it's an amazing shooter.
    It's SOCAL lots of brown little bit of green. I had misplaced the darker green which wasn't available at the store. Ended up with the swampy green. I still like it though. Found the other can after I had just watched the clear dry!

It pretty much matches multicam coloring though. Kind of a multi cam tiger stripe.

thomae
    To all forum members: Take heed of the following reminder: it's one thing to state that you don't care for something. We all have different tastes. However, turning your opinion into a personal attack or insult is not the way we work on this forum. Plus it's against the Forum rules.

Don't even think to tell me it's humor when there are no smilies or rhetorical clues to that effect within the post.

I'm letting this one go for now. Don't push it.

DMaldonado93
    Just order my axis sr in .308 yesterday just waiting for it to get here now. But any suggestions to a good compensator/ flash hider/ muzzle break/ what ever u prefer to call it? and has anybody had experience with the spikes tactical DynaComp? I know its for semi auto rifle but how about for a bolt gun?

beckherps
    DMaldonado93, I'm a new member to SavageShooters but have been shooting Savage for over 50 years. I too was concerned about a muzzle brake when I bought my .308 AXIS. I have a Dynacomp on my AR-10 (7.62x51) and it is primarily a flash suppressor, I wouldn't put it on a bolt gun. There's not much difference in the recoil with it on or off. I spoke with some pro circuit shooters at the Sportsman's Club and the recommended the Witt Machine. For your .308, which is a very light rifle, the Witt MB1 is perfect. I didn't have my barrel threaded so I bought the clamp-on model. It IS A COMPENSATOR! Just guessing, I'd say it reduced the recoil by about half or more. It's 416 stainless steel and has 5 ports. They have The range was pretty crowded when I put the first round through it and the shooters on the four benches on either side of me stopped shooting and asked me what I was shooting. It directs the gas out the sides and slightly to the rear a few degrees. It's the best $89 I've spent in a long while.

sentinelfour
    Quote Originally Posted by DMaldonado93 View Post
    Just order my axis sr in .308 yesterday just waiting for it to get here now. But any suggestions to a good compensator/ flash hider/ muzzle break/ what ever u prefer to call it? and has anybody had experience with the spikes tactical DynaComp? I know its for semi auto rifle but how about for a bolt gun?
    A muzzle brake is great to have on a bolt gun for many reasons. Reducing kick is one thing, but being able to see where you hit through the scope and remaining on target is a big plus. The purpose is to direct gases outwards, instead of straight in front. The most efficient design is the JP Howitzer, but it looks ridiculous. I have a Miculek brake on mine, it works great and looks good too.

On a semi-auto, brakes have even more benefits, like keeping you on target with rapid fire. My brother has a brake similar to my Miculek on his AR15, it also has ports on top, and it completely eliminates barrel rise.

Honestly that DynaComp will work fine, but there are more efficient designs for a lot less $. Brakes that send gases in all directions are not a good choice if you shoot laying on the ground, as dust will fly up. A good brake will make a .308 feel like a .223. My braked .223 feels like a .22WMR. The higher the pressure of the cartridge, the better a brake works. That's why they don't work on .22LRs, shotguns and handguns.

One thing though, is that brakes make guns louder, and anyone standing to the side of the gun will feel a lot more pressure from the blast. Some brakes even have ports that direct gases rearwards, and those are the worst for bystanders. At a range, it wouldn't be polite to shoot with something like that.

Basic Member
    I stopped by the Class III dealer yesterday and decided to bite the bullet on a centerfire suppressor. I went with the Specwar 762 suppressor. It is a 30 caliber suppressor, but it is my understanding that it will work just about as well as a dedicated .223 suppressor. Plus, I might buy a .308 threaded rifle later, and the Specwar 762 will handle it all.

Is anyone running a suppressor on their Axis rifles? I am curious as to how the rifle will perform with a suppressor. I have a rimfire suppressor right now and my rifles actually group better with the suppressor on than without it. I am hoping the same thing will happen with the centerfire suppressor. It will probably be a looooong wait until I find out though. The dealer said that the ATF is being deluged with applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast