Thread: Article: Savage 110 Detachable Box Magazine Systems

Article: Savage 110 Detachable Box Magazine Systems

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

davemuzz
    Now....educate me here. Can you take any previous blind magazine Savage, and convert it to a detachable magazine? If say it's a short action or long action built in 2010, or the same built in say, 2000?

Basic Member
    I don't have a full answer because I know that screw spacing has changed in the SA line, but I personally have converted a LA rifle built in the early 90's to a center-feed DBM. I ordered all the parts from Savage and then started inletting the old wood stock for the bottom metal and removed the mag box from the bottom of the reciever. Once wood was all cut, I bedded upper and lower metal. Pretty easy project.

davemuzz
    Yeah.....I kind of thought that would be the case. A call to Savage and a chat telling them what you have and what you want, an exchange of CC info and your on your way. I personally like a rifle with a detachable magazine. It's a push of a button or a pull of a bottom gizmo, and all but one round is in your hand. Then you eject that round, load it in the mag, and when your going back out it's, "smack, rotate, 'n ready" Put the safety on of course.

Dave

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Now....educate me here. Can you take any previous blind magazine Savage, and convert it to a detachable magazine? If say it's a short action or long action built in 2010, or the same built in say, 2000?
    Everything built since January 2008 is a center feed. All of the mag boxes(the stamped part) are the same, regardless of being blind, DBM or HFP. The only thing different is the blind style is held in location by the stock via an "L" bracket. The same mag box coupled with a steel bottom cap makes it a detachable box magazine, with the addition of the steel magazine frame. The same magazine box coupled with a hinged floor plate frame, makes it a HFP.
    The same mag box coupled with a poly bottom cap will not work with a steel mag frame. It will only work with the poly frame or the molded in mag retention system in the stock.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

davemuzz
    Thanks sharpshooter!!

Basic Member
    IMHO the Axis plastic BDM is crap. When changing to a better stock I prefer to go back to the reliable internal blind mag. You use the magazine body without the base as the internal blind magazine. If you really want a DBM then get a CDI and a stock that is inlet for it, or have your stock properly inlet for it by the manufacturer or other competent smith. Putting the plastic Axis BDM back into a new stock is more trouble than its worth.

bl-u13

FCP Mag options

I have a model10 FCP-SR.(19480)in .308 I don't like the long 10 rounder. I find it protrudes too much and it rattles(loose fit annoys me). I realize the bottom metal on this gun was designed for the tactical/law enforcement category. I'd b happy with 4 or 5rounds can anyone tell me of what other options there might be????Thank You

bl-u13
    thanks Twinsen

tomnewguy
    from tomnewguy i have a savage model 110 long action with the internal mag. i want to know if i can convert to a external magazine as i am wanting to change to a heavy barrel and a tactical stock chambered in a different cal. i would like to have a couple of extra magazines and want to learn as much as i cam before i order anything and also the old trigger group i would like to replace replace with something adjustable will a newer savage accu drop in or should i just start with another rifle please help

maxcarp
    I have a Savage 110 LH with an older style Staggered Feed Detachable Box Mag with the release button on the side.I want to replace the stock,and find that Boyds has a Classic LH stock on clearance that would work well on this rifle,but I am sure it is made for the newer style magazines with the release on the bottom.Could I convert my rifle to the newer style mags?Either Centerfeed or Staggered would be fine with me as long as it is an easy,affordable conversion and works well.Here is a link to the stock from Boyds.https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produ...channel-walnut

This is probably the wrong place to post this. It looks to me that the stock you are linked to is for a centerfeed stock. that would require bottom metal magazine and some machine or grinder work on the bottom of the action to work.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    FWIW, I recently converted my 20+ year old Savage 110FP Tactical in 3.08 Win to accept AICS pattern magazines. I had bought a Choate Tactical stock last year and sent it to CDI Precision Gun Works in Florida. They did the inletting on my stock and sent it back with a DBM style trigger guard assembly. All I had to do was cut the front bolt down to size (to clear the bolt) and now I am able to use 5 and 10 round AICS pattern magazines from Magpul without any issues (so far).

So on the barrel of my savage it says Model 114, but it’s has the original DBM system, the magazine was lost and I am trying to find a new one but it’s near impossible, any options or ideas, the rifle was given to me by my father

I just inherited my dad's old model 110C (left handed) 30-06 which is identical to the one in the first pictures. My Dad had it custom fitted with a synthetic stock about 20 years ago and in doing so, bonded the floor plate to the stock. I have refinished the original stock and want to put it back on. But using the original floor plate really doesn't seem like an option. Does anyone know where I can get another floor plate? I have looked everywhere and everyone shows OUT of STOCK..

I recently acquired an older Savage Model 111 .30-06 that requires the original Side Release magazine (Savage P/N 55111). I have searched and searched and have not found this magazine. I did fine one for a .338 Win. Mag. but don't believe it will work with the .30-06 cartridge. Anyone know where I might acquire
    this magazine? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by globalkooler View Post
    I recently acquired an older Savage Model 111 .30-06 that requires the original Side Release magazine (Savage P/N 55111). I have searched and searched and have not found this magazine. I did fine one for a .338 Win. Mag. but don't believe it will work with the .30-06 cartridge. Anyone know where I might acquire
    this magazine? Thanks.
    Ebay will be your best bet as those magazines have been out of production for roughly 15 years now.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain