Thread: Axis bolt clearance

Basic Member

Axis bolt clearance

I just picked up a savage axis for my wife and it has standard rings and bases but the bolt doesn't clear the scope. I ordered a weaver 48347 one piece mount for it. Will that allow for enough clearance with std rings or should I order med. thanks

Unless there's a significant difference in height between the two bases I don't see how swapping it out is going to help much. My solution to the problem was to grind down the top side of the bolt handle arm to create more clearance, but you would then need to reblue the handle and I'm not sure how cold blue would take since it's a cast part.

If you look close you'll notice that the depth of the recesses on my bolt are about half as deep as they were from the factory.

And here's a show showing the greatly increased scope clearance.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    What size mounts are you using?

Basic Member
    I used an EGW one piece 20 MOA mount. Provides plenty of clearance!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm using medium height Hunt Master mounts from DNZ Products with a 40mm scope. They're an integrated base/ring setup. However, unless you have a long scope I'd recommend going with a 1-piece rail type base for more flexibility given I've got my scope as far back as I can get it and the eye relief still isn't quite right. That's because all Axis rifles are essentially long-actions.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Yea I canceled the order for the weaver and bought a egw 20 moa and a vortex 3-9x50 for it. Now to decide which rings to go with.

Basic Member
    This is my set up with the SWFA SS 10X42 in a set of SWFA low rings. I did have to slide the scope back in the rings some to get it right in the new stock since this picture was taken.

Basic Member
    I think I will go with low rings also.
    Here's my Stevens with egw mount and Burris med. zee rings and I think I could have went with low rings on it also now that I see yours.

The problem I see with the EGW base is that it extends out over the barrel nut. If you have a short scope and you're trying to mount it as low as possible you might run into an interference issue between the base and the objective bell when you're trying to set the eye-relief.

Basic Member
    I did have a little issue with that myself, but I had just enough room to work it out.

Basic Member
    I see what your saying. I'll just have to play around with different height rings.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The problem I see with the EGW base is that it extends out over the barrel nut. If you have a short scope and you're trying to mount it as low as possible you might run into an interference issue between the base and the objective bell when you're trying to set the eye-relief.
    +1 to that. I like the EGW rails, but have shortened at least one and have filed off some of the upper "teeth" to have enough clearance for my objective bell on either 1 or 2 others.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru3rd View Post
    I see what your saying. I'll just have to play around with different height rings.
    The signature Zee Rings in low are slightly higher than the low rings I'm running. They'd probably be perfect!

Basic Member
    I can't find the signature zee rings in low only the std zee rings. Are you sure they make them and what's the difference between them just the inserts?

thomae
    I can't find the signature zee rings in low only the std zee rings. Are you sure they make them and what's the difference between them just the inserts?
    On the manufacturer's website they list the height for low rings, but don't show them with a stock number. Perhaps they don't make them anymore...probably worth a phone call to Burris to confirm or deny.
    Reference: http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

They still make them, the problem is that they're in such high demand that they sell out as soon as stores get them in stock. Burris can't make them fast enough.

Basic Member
    That's why I went with the rings from SWFA!

Basic Member
    So what's the difference between the signature zee rings and the zee rings?

Basic Member
    Egw mount and std. Rings worked perfect. I've got plenty of bolt clearance now. I could see where the egw could cause problems with low rings and large obj. Scopes. Now waiting on the Boyd's stock and to decide what caliber and barrel to go with but that's another thread.

thomae
    So what's the difference between the signature zee rings and the zee rings?
    "Signature" rings have the Pos-Align inserts. Plain Zee rings don't. ("Zee" refers to the shape of the cut used to allow the rings to fit on a Weaver or Picatinny rail)