Thread: Smooth surface bbl nut

Pump

Smooth surface bbl nut

Does this mean anything as in long vs short threads when replacing the bbl or could it be either? Newer Mod 11 in 308 purchased in July 2013 with Nikon 3x9 scope. It has not shot well with 150 or 165 gr bullets and 1 in 10 twist. I will try factory but all screws are tight and scope seems OK. I bought a mod 11 accutrigger used last week for a 358 rebbl but it outshoots this one by a long way. I would like to order a bbl before I pull things off and leave parts sitting around for weeks.
    I do plan on a scope swap to make sure where the problem is but the only spare I have is an older steel weaver 2.5. I hate to pull a scope and reset things if i don;t have to. Any thought on this would help, I have neither slugged the bore nor taken an impact slug.

stangfish
    What ammo? Scope is suspect. Try the scope that's on the one that shoot good.

I purchased a model 11 BTH in 308 in August as well and shoots great. I've only shot about 20 rounds of Hornady SST 150gr at 200yds. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x50, zeroed it. It shot amazing to me. All rounds were shot in groups of three and all were inside a coke can with some touching.

Pump
    I have a blr in 308 as well and it and the older mod 11 are all shooting the reloads well. Tried 150 & 165 gr Hornady Interlock sp bt over IMR 4064, AA 4064, 4320, & 4831 in varying recipes. The Nikon is the one that came on the package. 308 factory has seemed to be out of stock almost everywhere locally, store now has some 147 gr fmj target from an unnamed source (plain white Box) with a headstamo I don't recognize. I think I will get a box of that to try.

Bcollins111900
    I have a Savage 11VT chambered in 308 with a heavy barrel and it loves 175 gr Sierra HPBT and 178gr Hornady AMAX. If the barrel currently has the smooth barrel nut you might as well order a new slotted one. I had my barrel threaded and taking it off sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump View Post
    Does this mean anything as in long vs short threads when replacing the bbl or could it be either? Newer Mod 11 in 308 purchased in July 2013 with Nikon 3x9 scope. It has not shot well with 150 or 165 gr bullets and 1 in 10 twist. I will try factory but all screws are tight and scope seems OK. I bought a mod 11 accutrigger used last week for a 358 rebbl but it outshoots this one by a long way. I would like to order a bbl before I pull things off and leave parts sitting around for weeks.
    I do plan on a scope swap to make sure where the problem is but the only spare I have is an older steel weaver 2.5. I hate to pull a scope and reset things if i don;t have to. Any thought on this would help, I have neither slugged the bore nor taken an impact slug.
    Nope, smooth barrel nut can be either small or large shank. Being a factory M11 in .308 it should be a small shank.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

stangfish
    Are we trying to resolve an accuracy issue or are we upgrading the barrel?

Pump
    I have two and I am rebarreling one. I plan to keep the most accurate 308 and rebarrel one to 358. My BLR in 358 will then be sold. I would like to resolve the accuracy issue because if it is not in the bbl IMO, it will still be there when rebarreled. The intended use on both will be hunting and informal target shooting. I will shoot more cast than jacketed in the 308 and it will be rare for the 358 to see jacketed. It had been my experience that if a rifle will not group with jacketed it will never do better with cast. If the 358 shoots great I may look for a longer bbl option in the 308. It was an impulse purchase this month as it was on consignment for under $300 with accutrigger and a good looking bore at a semi-local shop.

Pump
    Replaced scope and rings and the issue is resolved. At some point I will try the Nikon in new rings but it will be later rather than sooner.