Thread: Free floating ?

wisconsinteacher

Free floating ?

Is there anything I need to do different when free floating a 28" bull barrel in a Boyd's stock? I am asking because of all the weight up front and the total weight of the barrel its self.

stangfish
    Are you looking to add weight to the rear or to remove some in the front?

wisconsinteacher
    I am not trying to remove any weight. I want to make sure that I float the barrel correctly. I have never bedded an action with a big old heavy barrel like this one.

davemuzz
    Not really, Just bed it. Give the barrel from the recoil lug and forward (that's how I do it) clearance to be "free" and make sure the tang is also not touching. Use a release agent, and when all dries and is set up, torque your action screws (remember....front one first and make sure your recoil lug is snug against the action) to the spec's.

Unless you just managed to wrench on a U.S. Navy destroyer cannon barrel, all should be good and the barrel should not touch the stock. (No TOUCHING!!!)

I hope this was clear.

Dave

Basic Member
    Which Boyds stock?

The reason I ask is that any sporter style stock I have used, be it a synthetic or laminate, factory or otherwise has a litlte more flex in the fore-end than a varminter/br style stock.

Take a sporter stock that you've floated the barrel channel on so that a dollar or whatever will slide the whole length of the barrel channel nice an clear. Now put even a little pressure on the fore-end and see if the bill still slides easily or if it gets hung up.

Anymore I believe in "more" free floating over less. I like a 4 dollar bill float. I think this is a good balance that provides enough room for a little fore-end pressure, moisture swell or whatever and an excessive gap.

Something else may work for you, if it is a bench gun that will always have the front rest in the same spot that will be different than a gun that gets shot off a bipod, or a sporter weight hunter etc.

As far as method goes I just use sandpaper over a piece of pipe and trial and error it until I get the right fit.

davemuzz
    Thanks mattri for providing much more needed clarification. I "assumed" the OP would know to sand the channel if the barrel was touching. And BTW, I agree with your more is better…..except don't go over board.

Dave

Basic Member
    Talking to a few guys with lots of bedding experience they say to go 2-3inches passed the recoil lug on a long heavy barrel. I haven't bedded any of my rifles yet, but taking some pressure off the action makes sense to me!