Thread: The Axis Pro Tac Stock Coming Soon. Love when a box from SSS shows up!

Basic Member

The Axis Pro Tac Stock Coming Soon. Love when a box from SSS shows up!

It is my pleasure once again to bring you another soon to be available product from SSS! The Axis Pro Tac. Stock.

It's base price will be the same as the Pro Hunter Stock with the same options available as the LVT: (i.e. butt hook, adjustable riser, accesory rail, and the bipod boss) I got mine fully loaded with all accesories.

It's a perfect fit with longer LOP than the Pro Hunter making it better for shooting off the bench or from the prone. It's also slightly heavier much like most tactical stocks.

SSS sent this one to me unfinished and I decided to do a camo job on it. No date of release yet, but this is in the works. This is the surprise I promised!

After a camo job and three coats of clear:

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by LoneWolf; 11-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.

stangfish
    Nice. does this have the original type recoil lug or have you modified the action"?

Basic Member
    Still using the factory lug in this one as well, but it has both front and rear pillars. And tightens up really nicely.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Wow. That looks really nice. I was planning on purchasing the SSS ProHunter stock soon, but I may have to hold off now. Thanks for posting that LoneWolf.

Love the camo job too.

Basic Member
    I'm saving my Pro Hunter for a lighter weight build, and but don't get me wrong it's a solid stock as well! This one is more geared to how I've been putting it to use though!
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-23-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I'm saving my Pro Hunter for a igniter weight build, and but don't get me wrong it's a solid stock as well! This one is more geared to how I've been putting it to use though!
    Yeah, I really like the looks of the ProHunter stock, but like you, the Pro Tac stock will just fit in better to how I shoot now.

Basic Member
    Also on my Pro Tac, Fred set the inletting out an extra 1/4inch to get the LOP right for me. I think most may have to cut the butt down some to get the correct LOP from them. Mine is at 15 inches.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-23-2013 at 12:30 AM.

fsr402
    that is my next stock. Been wanting to build something for 500+ meters.

Inebriated
    Well, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Pro Hunter.

Basic Member
    So, Last night I decided to permanently bed the recoil lug into this stock. It turned out solid as a rock. Hopefully I can get back out to the range with it next month and see how it performs. This is probably the most comfortable rifle I've ever been behind now. I was running some dry fire drills yesterday and it literally feels like it is one piece working together.

Basic Member
    So, you just did the recoil lug and not the whole receiver? Although I don't have an aftermarket stock for mine yet, I have actually wondered about any bedding that may help. "Gluing" in the lug makes sense to me. Let us know how it works out.

Basic Member
    I can cleanly run a dollar bill up and down between the barrel and stock. The SSS Stocks are CNC cut specifically to the Axis Action and Components. You would have to remove material in order to bed it to the same level. I used devcon and drilled a few shallow holes in the recoil lug area for better adhesion and sat it up over night. There will be no possible movement from the recoil lug when when firing now. The rifle literally feels like it's all one piece in this stock. I ordered the Harris 9-13in notched Bipod finally and should have it on Saturday. I don't know what brand the one I have is as it came with the base rifle, but I'm sure it's not a harris!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I can cleanly run a dollar bill up and down between the barrel and stock. The SSS Stocks are CNC cut specifically to the Axis Action and Components. You would have to remove material in order to bed it to the same level.
    That's what I like to hear. I really don't want to mess with bedding, although I have a little experience with it.

The Harris bipods are nice. They are very well made. I have a few and like them a lot.

Basic Member
    I don't really deal with much humidity here in SOCAL so I only painted and sealed with a clear coat, everything accept for where the action sits. I used birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil for that portion of the interior. I guess I could get some pictures up of the interior, but it's pretty much the same as the Pro Hunter Stock.

sentinelfour
    Would have looked great left naked with several coats of tru oil.

Basic Member
    Nevermind, not entertaining your comments. As I am happy with the looks. Laminate stocks just start to look boring to me as do "perfect" camo jobs. Camo is perfect in its imperfections.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-25-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Basic Member
    Another note about this stock. Maybe someone has more experience than I, maybe it's because it's more broken in now, but I was able to safely lighten my RB SAV-1 trigger a little more than it was with it still being solid and safe in this stock. Maybe I can get it out to the range next weekend for some groupings! My new Harris 9-13" Bipod will be here by Monday as well, so I'll be ready to put it to the test!

sentinelfour
    With 9-13, is that best off a table top/ bench or laying down prone?

Basic Member
    I've been running a 6-9" knock off pod which I use set to 9" setting all the time due to my size 6'5" 230lbs. 9" is about perfect for a flat shot for me. Off the bench smaller frame shooters usually are in between the 6-9 settings if using a bipod. At the range I shoot at the targets start going up the side of a hill after about 500yds out to 890yds, so with the pod maxed out at 9" I was pretty much putting the butt of the rifle on the ground in the prone and trying to get behind the rifle enough to manage recoil and get on target . The 9-13" Should be exactly what I need for the style of shooting I'm doing and make it much more comfortable as well. The Harris will do for now until somewhere long down the road I can spring for something better.

I've been spending time doing some dry fire drills and getting the stock perfectly fitting to me for max comfort while shooting from the prone. I placed forth in the last competition I did before I dropped it into this stock.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Cold Trigger Finger
    Do you have a link you could post the SSS stock?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Do you have a link you could post the SSS stock?
    PM'd

Cold Trigger Finger
    Thank you. I was checking out their site. .
    They must put the steel magazine surround in the Tac stock for the DBM .
    Thank you for the reply and the pm.

Basic Member
    Not exactly sure what you're referring to but it's inletted in the same fashion as the Pro Hunter stock which has full pictures over in my build thread.