Thread: Looking for the easiest way to switch my 116 TH XP with DBM to a Boyds Laminate stock

Durwood

Looking for the easiest way to switch my 116 TH XP with DBM to a Boyds Laminate stock

The title pretty much says it all. I have a relatively new 116 TH XP in 6.5-284 Norma with a DBM and bottom bolt release that I want to fit with a Boyds Laminate stock. What do I need? Boyds site isn't clear and they direct you to Brownells or Savage. Just checked with Brownells and tech support said they have nothing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Love this rifle, but would prefer a laminate stock.

stangfish
    Durwood. We have a Boyd's rep that frequents the site. Look him up and ask. If not get the long action centerfeed DBM inlet and use a dremmel and sanding drum to skim the sides of the trigger guard inlet and you will need to clearance for the bolt release mechanism on the right side of the trigger hole. A cave man can probably do it.

The Trophy Hunters use the Axis style magazine thus a standard 10/110 centerfeed DBM stock won't work. I'm guessing yours has the molded in magazine surround like is shown in the photo below. If so, no one offers a replacement stock for your rifle at this time and none can easily be modified to work because where the magazine inlet is located is slightly different for the Axis mags.

Molded in magazine surround found on synthetic stocked Trophy Hunters

If yours has the separate plastic magazine surround like this (usually only found on wood stocked Trophy Hunters and the Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter) then you can simply order the metal version from Savage along with a metal magazine bottom cap and you'll be all set.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    The easiest and cheapest way would be to call Savage Arms Parts and order the long action plastic stock frame that is currently used on a Savage 111 Light Weight Hunter stock. Then your current DBM/clip will snap right into place.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Durwood
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I'll call Savage in the next day or two.

Durwood
    This is the bottom of my rifle:

Team Savage
    It looks like you already have the plastic removable surround frame that holds the DBM in place . Just take out the assembly and it should fit into older Savage stocks or a Boyd's stock with the DBM cut out. You don't need to order any parts from Savage Arms.

RunNGun
    Hi Durwood , can you keep us updated with how you make out with this? I just got a Boyd's stock for my Axis and can see myself putting one on my Trophy Hunter soon. The bottom of mine looks exactly the same as yours.

Matt

Basic Member
    I recently put a 260 Trophy Hunter inside a Boyds Tacticool, and am very happy with it. Mine did not have the removable bottom metal (mine is actually the one in the photo above that does not allow the surround/ bottom metal to be removed.) Fortunately, I happened to have the bottom metal from a .223 Model 12 Savage, and it worked just fine. (I have yet to get the .260 mag for it, but that's all that is still needed.) Certainly, if yours has the plastic, REMOVABLE bottom metal, then it will work just fine with your existing "Axis style" mag, as jpdown said. If your TH does not have the removable bottom metal, (plastic or metal), then you would have to order the plastic removable surround (if you want to continue to use the Axis style mag included with the TH). Order metal if you want the other Mag that is used with true metal surround. Or, get a get a Tacticool stock for a "Hidden Mag" model and order a single feed ramp from SSS and don't even bother with a mag.

Note: I also replaced the plastic trigger guard with a metal guard ($25 direct from Savage) because I did not like the way the plastic guard "gave way" or "crushed" a bit when tightening the rear action screw. I suppose it would be best to also replace the plastic surround with metal for the same reason. In any event, it shoots very well with all metal and pillar bedding.

Actually, I do not know for a FACT that the plastic version of the removable surround will work, because I did not have that type. jpdown said it would, but J. Baker said it won't. I only know for certain that it worked when using the metal version.
    Last edited by foxx; 10-29-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Team Savage
    I looked in the Savage Arms owners manual and they call the composite and metal surround (part #13) a "Frame Assembly". The plastic frame assembly will only work with an Axis style DBM. The metal frame assembly will only work with a metal bottom DBM. Both the plastic and metal frame assembly have the same outside dimensions. So if the stock has the original CF DBM bottom inlet, your can use a plastic or metal frame assembly with the corresponding composite or metal DBM bottom cap.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Basic Member
    That makes sense, jpdown. I assumed that was the case, but started to second guess myself. Supporting that conclusion is the fact that both version have the same action screw placement. I am confident everything you've said about it is true. It has to be. :)

Durwood
    Thanks for the help on this. I'm going to order soon. I plan to set it up with my existing composite frame and then upgrade shortly thereafter.

RunNGun
    Thanks Guys! I may have to order a stock in the near future. This site is a great resource!