Thread: New to savage long guns

subsonic1

New to savage long guns

Hi all.Just bought a savage 11-vt .I am new to Savage long guns so I have a few questions about this gun.This model seems different then other similar models in savage catalogs.What is the closest model rifle to the 11-vt?I would like to add aftermarket parts to my new toy like a higher cap magazine,maybe a tacticial stock and add a longer picatinny rail for the scope because since I am a large powerlifter the scope is way to foward and I need to bring it back at least 2".

OATHKEEPER-III%er

Welcome to the Savage Forums. While I'm not familiar with the model rifle your asking about, rest assured, someone will come along shortly to answer your questions.

Tom

Try doing a search for "11VT" and you'll get three pages of results. Here's the dominant thread for the VT, though it got closed down awhile back because a few individuals couldn't manage to play well together.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...highlight=11VT
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Neo2savage
    I'm another new to Savage rifles. I'm one of those that prefers to shoot "precision" using factory rifles. That can be a might tough when everyone says you have to spend $$ thousands to have a rifle that shoots good bench rest groups. While doing some work as a contractor in the Med I got to looking at the 110 BA in .338 Lapua but decided that was going to much too expensive to shoot and need a lot more range than one finds most places. Settled on a Howa 1500, Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 HS, and a Blackhawk stock and started learning with a lot of help from an retired bench rest competitor and re-loader. Got to doing pretty well but wanted to get something a little "better". Did a had been doing a lot of internet reading for that last 8 months and came up with Savage or Remington as the two "off the shelf" makers to go to. Because of a lack of nearby Savage dealers I gave Remington a try and bought a 700 SPS Tactical in .308 again. Turned out I couldn't place a 10 shot group inside the area of a paper plate at 100 yards with that rifle and got rid of it. Considering I have shot .416 groups at 100 with the Howa I knew something was wrong.

So my buddy, teacher, re-loader and I sat down and talked calibers. He suggested 6mm. Being the newbie and of course knowing it all I was becoming insistent on a .300 Win Mag. Buddy tossed me a book on 1,000 yard shooting and suggested I look through some re-loading manuals. Didn't take very long to determine that 6.5mm had better ballistics and great velocities and so would shoot as well or better than the 300 Win Mag, be a lot cheaper to shoot, be lighter, have substantially less recoil, quite a bit less than my .308. Match grade factory ammo was available if for some reason my buddy/teacher could no longer do loads for me. So off to the gun shops and auction sites looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor having a high round count barrel life aided a lot in the decision. Looking at the Savage site I came across the Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1. Camo colors could be a little better but the 24" barrel fit what I believed I was looking for. Not a whole lot to be found specific to this model on Google and YouTube but what there was looked pretty good. Finally found one on a holiday trip a few states over in Montana.

Bringing a long story to an end, I'm darn glad I went with the Savage. The Accu-Trigger is pure Heaven and the Accu-Stock seems to be doing what it was designed for. It will get a task specific stock a little later but even with a very low budget Nikko Sterling 4-16x44 I can shoot groups with the holes touching at 100 yards out of the box with factory Hornady ammo. Should have a Sightron 6-24x50 showing up in the next few days to take things to a new level. The fit of all the components is excellent. Only complaint is Savage forgot to put the screw driver for the Accu-Trigger in the box but from what I've read that's a fairly common occurrence. I'm really pleased I went with the Savage. Only 50 rounds so far but all the indications are telling me this will be a very fine firearm. Now I have two tight shooters and I truly believe the Savage is going to hold the #1 slot.
    Last edited by Neo2savage; 10-30-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Basic Member
    I rebuilt my Savage Axis. I'm 6'5" 230 lbs. It's so comfortable I could sleep in the prone now.

The stock is similar to SSS's LVT stock that wold fit your rifle.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Neo2savage
    Very nice!!

I'm a little shorter at 5'9" but the adjustable comb is one of the "must haves" for the next stock. I would like adjustable length of pull as well but the depth of the butt and the pistol grip in that stock may well offset any real need for a change in length. May I ask who makes that stock and where it was acquired? Lastly, what is the composition of the stock?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    It's laminate made by Sharp Shooter Supply. Just Google them you'll end up in the right place!

Was running it in this format previously on another stock:

Adjustable plate is an SPS2 by stock positioning.com I shaped it to fit the stock you see

Basic Member
    Could also look into a full chasis system depending on how much you want to invest.

Neo2savage
    I want to avoid the AR-10, skeleton type chassis as much as possible. I may have to move back to California soon and I want to be able to take my rifles with me, minus an AR lower of course. I'm also an AR shooter when in the mood. They are a lot of fun but the esthetics of a full stock, such as Manners or some of the others, appeals more to me. They shoot differently. I can't really put my finger on the how, perhaps I'm imaging things, but I think they do. Both the stocks you pictured show desirable strengths. Thanks for the sources!

I'm not an inexperienced shooter, just new to Savage and what I'll call "factory" precision shooting. I really do believe some manufacturers give their customers as much or more than they pay for. Some don't and carry on from previous reputation, but others have the desire to rise to the top. I think Savage is in this category. However, I do believe that very few things are ever quite as good as they could be, and the ride finding out if they are or are not can be a lot of fun.

Basic Member
    I just so happen to be stuck in California for now. So I know what you mean! I built a bolt gun because they don't require registration with the state.

Neo2savage
    Where in SoCal? I grew up down there.

Basic Member
    Oceanside area

Neo2savage
    Home of Camp Pendleton. Spent a lot of recreational time at the end of Basilone Road.

Basic Member
    Yes sir. Maybe if you come out sometime we can get some range time in.

Neo2savage
    I'd be looking forward to that. Semper Fi.

Basic Member
    http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/2
    Seems like most of what you're looking for
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

zoldaman
    If you really want to up the accuracy, make sure you've got your trigger adjusted how you want it, in addition to what's already been mentioned. Also, you might want to look into reloading so that you can build up some ammo tailored to your specific gun. Otherwise, enjoy your trigger time on that good looking rifle.

Neo2savage
    Thanks for the tips. A guy I shoot with is a "retired" bench rest competitor. In the last few years what he gets a kick out of most is building new loads and teaching people that really want to learn how to shoot precision at distance. Nice thing in that is we have the ability to get out to a mile if desired (his guns anyway), with 100, 200, 500, 600, and 1,200 yard set ups already established. 3 miles from home no less! He's already working up some 140gr A-max for me. I had to shoot a bunch of 120's to get the brass and break in the barrel since factory 140's are scarce. Also getting ready to try some 136gr Berger VLD's and 139gr Scenar's to see how they work out.

Got the rifle out today in some conditions that were a little tough; 39 degrees, wind blowing 121 degrees left to right at 12 to 20 mph across the range with very light snow flurries. I prefer 200 yard zeros. Didn't matter, I had to try out the new Sightron regardless of the weather. The S-III 6-24x50 MOA2 is right up there with a Nightforce. Really, really close at worst and the MOA reticule is super nice. When all was said and done the rifle was shooting groups just under 3/4" at 200 yards in the wind using the factory 120 A-Max.

It's a keeper for sure just as it is. I'll be stretching out it's legs as weather permits, and if it stays tight over longer distances the only reason to change the stock would be for "want to". This Savage Creedmoor blows the reputation off of a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 I owned for two weeks before dumping it. Lucky to group anything smaller than a grapefruit at 100 yards with that one. Absolutely no comparison between the two.