Thread: Help he scope my new tactical rifle project.

encoreguy

Help he scope my new tactical rifle project.

I just purchased a Savage 10FP DBM rifle with the new Choate tactical stock. I have been wanting to put together a tactical DBM rifle for awhile. It is a .308 but eventually I will screw on a .260 ackley barrel. I will use a 20 moa Ken Farrel base and burris signature Z-rings with inserts. I want target type turrets, a mil-dot reticle and at least 3.5" of eye relief. It will be used for longrange target shooting (perhaps f-class shooting) and hunting. If money was not a concern I would simply buy a Nightforce, Mark 4 or a Zeiss and be done with it, but with 2 kids yet to go to college I cannot bring myself to do it. I really hate to go over the mid-$500 range, but I think I can fill my needs and keep within that budget.

I prefer to dial in the range and use the mils for windage hold-offs. So I need accurate, repeatable elevation adjustments.

I am thinking of the following:

On the lower end side,
    3200 5-15 tactical (50 moa and 4" of eye relief) but smaller field of view over other scopes in that power range.

4.5 - 14 Weaver tactical (I think it is the exact same scope as the 3200 but has only 3-3.5" of eye relief but a wider field of view. It might have a different tracking system (Weaver has been known to have good tracking).

4.5 -14 or 6-18 Buckmasters with mil-dot. The 6-18 has target turrets but not a big fan of 1/8" adjustments. I think these are only 40 moa or less range of adjustment.

Perhaps a Vortex but I don't like their short eye relief.

A little higher price:

Sightron Big Sky II 4.5 X 14 with side AO, 80 moa 1/4 adjustment and 20 minutes per revolution.

Sightron Big Sky 6.5 X 20 with side AO. 60 moa, 1/4 adjustment and 20 minutes per revolution. Only concern here is smaller field of view.

Big Sky 4-16 mil-dot but has 1/8" adjustmernt only 10 minutes per revolution but does have 80 moa adjustment and is cheaper than the above Sightron scopes.

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 mil-dot now and I could get target turrets for it but it is only 40 moa and to be honest my Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 is much clearer side by side. So I am not overly impressed. I have one of the very first New Monarch's to be delivered so maybe the later ones are better. My old 6.5-20 Monarch UCC with ILL mil- dot is also a better scope but are hard to find since they quit making them.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Help he scope my new tactical rifle project.

I'd wait a bit and get one of the new FFP Weaver Super Slams or FFP Tacticals.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

encoreguy

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    I'd wait a bit and get one of the new FFP Weaver Super Slams or FFP Tacticals.
    Unfortunately it looks like they are going to be pricey from early indications, but they sound nice and we will see what they are actually priced at once they hit the street.

DGD6MM

encoreguy, are you looking for new or used? I've got a leupold varix-3 6.5-20x40 target model with a premier reticule if your interested. If you are shoot me a message.

Basic Member

I shoot a 260AI for 1000 yd F class- Sav action, Shilen bbl, Rfl basix2 trig, trued timed SSS,etc,. I have the Bushnell 6-24X 4200 (1 yr. old) and happy with it. I think now after my 1st season- with respectable scores I might add- I am ready to bump up to an 8-32x. I personally am looking at the New Sightron w/ target dot reticle. Better for F class, maybe not as good for lr. deer hunting. I took rifle hunting 1x last year. No shots yet. Setting up for Longer range shooting than the standard 100yd. or less that we get here in NC.
    Knowing what I now know, I would have started with a higher mag. for the F class shooting that I am doing. When mirage can be managed, the extra magnification seems to come in handy for wind doping, etc.

encoreguy

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    I shoot a 260AI for 1000 yd F class- Sav action, Shilen bbl, Rfl basix2 trig, trued timed SSS,etc,. I have the Bushnell 6-24X 4200 (1 yr. old) and happy with it. I think now after my 1st season- with respectable scores I might add- I am ready to bump up to an 8-32x. I personally am looking at the New Sightron w/ target dot reticle. Better for F class, maybe not as good for lr. deer hunting. I took rifle hunting 1x last year. No shots yet. Setting up for Longer range shooting than the standard 100yd. or less that we get here in NC.
    Knowing what I now know, I would have started with a higher mag. for the F class shooting that I am doing. When mirage can be managed, the extra magnification seems to come in handy for wind doping, etc.
    Thanks for the reply! I have heard some good things about the new Sightron LR scopes. Might be a good fit, just out of my current price range.

johndoe3

I have a Falcon 4-14 x 44mm, FFP with ML16 reticle. I love this scope as compared to two other mildot scopes I own. It has 1-mil and half-mil hashmarks with 5 mils up and 9 mils down. $390 here...

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/s...p?idproduct=37

I like the hashmarks so much better than mildots, so much so that I would never buy another mildot scope. I have the 1-cm clicks (10 clicks to a mil), but they also make 1/4 MOA clicks for those unwilling to make a complete break with the old ways. This excellent scope is in your price range.

dcloco

You don't want a FFP scope if shooting distant objects....in most of them, the reticle covers the target.

I have a Vortex 6.5-20x50 target-dot on my .260 and I love it. So much I'm thinking bout selling a couple other scopes and replacing them with a Vortex. I had no trouble with the eye relief, and the elevation adjustments were perfect. Between the scopes reliability and my ballistic chart being perfect, it was alomst unfair to the prarie dogs last week :D.....almost
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

TexasTransplant

I've had plenty of problems with my Savage 12 and none with my Millett LRS. ::)

(However, I've only shot perhaps 40 rounds with the Millett. Rifle went back to Savage due to base holes being way off.)

Basic Member

I have two of the 3200 tacticals, they work good. The only down side is that the cross hair pillers seemed a little large at first, however 10 minutes into shooting them, i forgot about it. I have only used them to 600yd at this point. blue

Basic Member

I have a Millet Buck Gold 6-25x56 and like the scope. I got mine for $365 to my door.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I don't know if you have decided on what to get yet but if not go to www.swfa.com and take a look at their ss scopes. They have three fixed powers 10x,16x,20x, and a 3-9x42. I personally just mounted a 20x on my 308 10fp and it is the best scope I have right now, and I have leu.,nikons,bsa,simmons and tascos none even come close.
    Although the 16 & 20 won't help much for hunting for long range shooting they should fill your need and at $320 for the fixed and $599 for the variable for the quality you can't go wrong.
    These were made by Tasco and then SWFA bought the rights and now sell exclusively out of their own shop, they still come with the paper work from tasco but I was told that is only because they had so many left over it wasn't feasonable to reprint new ones.
    Give them a look I think you will like what you see.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Hany

Pass on the 3200 5-15 tactical crosshairs are like telephone poles. You'd be better off with 10X40 version, more MOA, finer reticle.

4.5 -14 or 6-18 Buckmasters with mil-dot........too little adjustment.......way too much clicking (1/8")

SS 10X42 nice scope that works and glass is nicer than Falcons. Another one, Mueller Tac-II....alot like Sightron SII.

Vortex Viper is also a good scope for the money.

Basic Member

Look into either Falcon or Wotac scopes. I have heard nothing but great things about both. Both are reasonably priced for what you get.

Sniper Central has done numerous reviews of them and all have been positive.

Sniper Central Scope Reviews

Wonder Optics (they have Falcon scopes also)

Dolomite

tinkerer

Heard a lot about Leatherwood years ago. Local gunshop has one 6.5-20X56 with ressetable turrets on consignment. Wants all of $99 for it. is that good?

Larry
    Tinkerer

Basic Member

I've never heard of that company before. Personally, I won't spend less than $200 on a scope for any of my rifles. I've learned the hard way not to skimp on quality optics. I run a Millet Buck Gold 6-25x56 on my custom 308 and on my stock 223 I have a Millet Buck Gold 4-16x56.

Mine are for hunting and long distance target shooting. Both of these scopes do the job I want.

Don't skimp on optics. Your wallet will thank you later.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

you might look at SWFA for the Super Sniper line. Have a fixed 10x with the side focus, it tracks great and is real clear. The side focus is about 400.00. the standard model with focus at the eyepiece is about 300.00. They have some variables out now, also a 16x and a 20x fixed. Been real happy with mine for the price.

Basic Member

...topgun53...It's 2012 I hope he was able to make a decision since this was posted....(2009) ;D