Thread: Upcoming Elk Hunt

Basic Member

Upcoming Elk Hunt

Headed to Craig in a few weeks to hunt the elk migration.. Got my first one there last year during the rut, and looking forward to seeing the herds in the snow this year. Will take the Tikka 300WM and Savage 308 in case they are close enough. All set with the Bergers which did a good job last time. Then we will head to SD to pheasant hunt with the old crew of guys who worked together in textile business for over 30yrs; hopefully we will be physically able to go next year too.

Basic Member
    well good luck with your hunt charlie. craig is a very nice area of colorado.
    its the only place ive ever been where i had a 4 wheeler next to me at a traffic lite.
    yet as you know not really a small town. i spent the night there in my pickup camper
    in the wallmart parking lot. then down 13 to the area west of glenwood springs.
    if i were ever to go back it would be more north where your going.

Basic Member
    Good luck. My dad and uncle are coming in Thursday and we are heading to the mountains for a week long elk hunt. Neither have hunted elk before and are very excited. I have another cow tag, but already have one elk in the freezer from bow season, so I will be just packing my Glock 10mm and binos. Hit them hard and keep shooting until they aren't on their feet, I have tracked to many things with people that don't understand that more than one shot is sometimes required.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the comarade!

Basic Member
    Well we are hitting the road in the morning for the two day drive to Craig; looks like a bit of snow and normal temps, so ideally many elk have migrated out of the high country now. I hope to have some nice pics to post in a couple of weeks. To meet up later with the pheasant hunters, we will be hauling about 10 guns in total to save them the airfare for the shotguns and shells. My traveling companion who is a big pheasant hunter is looking forward to the drive since he has never been in the Rockies. The Tundra may see a little 4-wheel drive action going over Independence Pass!

Team Savage
    good luck