Well I have my orientation meeting on Sunday and I'm excited about it. I plan on spending a few days a week up there as it is a very short drive from my house to the range.

Now the question :

I have rifles in 223,22-250,25-06 and 308. All these are Remington actions and set in varmint synthetic stocks from Remington. I use the 223,22-250 and 25-06 for varmint hunting only. The 308 for occasional range shooting.

I have 3 Savage 308's, one is a McMillan stocked heavy barreled police gun with a Leopold Mil-Dot scope, a Hog Hunter, the other a Model 10FP-SR .......

But I'm looking at a gun that I can shoot for a 30 to 50 rounds at a range setting and not kick much and has a long barrel life. I'm looking at the Savage Target series in 6BR Norma.

I don't shoot F-class nor do I want to, This is strickly off the bench stuff, but I like the F style stock for bench I think.

Again I'm leaning toward the 6BR, you guys may have something better that burns less powder and is a good shooter at the 500+ yard mark without a big blast !

What are you guys experience with your favorite range rifle caliber, not necessarly formal match stuff, but range rifle for a pleasant day of shooting ?

Your thoughts !

wll