Thread: What Rifle Caliber for Range Shooting

wlleven

What Rifle Caliber for Range Shooting

Well I have my orientation meeting on Sunday and I'm excited about it. I plan on spending a few days a week up there as it is a very short drive from my house to the range.

Now the question :

I have rifles in 223,22-250,25-06 and 308. All these are Remington actions and set in varmint synthetic stocks from Remington. I use the 223,22-250 and 25-06 for varmint hunting only. The 308 for occasional range shooting.

I have 3 Savage 308's, one is a McMillan stocked heavy barreled police gun with a Leopold Mil-Dot scope, a Hog Hunter, the other a Model 10FP-SR .......

But I'm looking at a gun that I can shoot for a 30 to 50 rounds at a range setting and not kick much and has a long barrel life. I'm looking at the Savage Target series in 6BR Norma.

I don't shoot F-class nor do I want to, This is strickly off the bench stuff, but I like the F style stock for bench I think.

Again I'm leaning toward the 6BR, you guys may have something better that burns less powder and is a good shooter at the 500+ yard mark without a big blast !

What are you guys experience with your favorite range rifle caliber, not necessarly formal match stuff, but range rifle for a pleasant day of shooting ?

Your thoughts !

wll

Basic Member
    IMO I think the 6BR is a good choice for your wants. I shoot an 6.5 creedmoor and can shoot it all day comfortably.

Bruce

Basic Member
    i think id be taking some guns i already have till some of the excitment wears off.
    put a muzzel brake on one of those 308s and you might be happy.
    not knocking the 6 br as it is a fine cartridge. but to own one just to punch holes in paper
    what with the collection you already have?

Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    But I'm looking at a gun that I can shoot for a 30 to 50 rounds at a range setting and not kick much and has a long barrel life.

Again I'm leaning toward the 6BR, you guys may have something better that burns less powder and is a good shooter at the 500+ yard mark without a big blast !

What are you guys experience with your favorite range rifle caliber, not necessarly formal match stuff, but range rifle for a pleasant day of shooting ?

Your thoughts !

wll

No one but YOU can define kick, or muzzle blast. I don't think my 308 (10FP) does either, I generally sit and shoot 175gr SMK's with at least 75 rounds shot per session. My girly-man brother cries after 10 rounds with it. So only you can answer that.

The 308 is a VERY long lived bore. HEAT is the killer of any bore.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My local range is 300yd and my favorite for it is the 223; it's as accurate as anything, cheap, as close to no-recoil as you can get. It also shoots well out to 700yd, and I am getting a higher twist barrel to extend the range with heavier bullets. My 6BR is good for 1000 yd, and not much more recoil so you can shoot all day with it too. Think more about defining the longest range you plan to shoot regularly, and then go with the lightest / highest BC that fits. Unless you are much longer than 1000 then 6 or 6.5 should serve you well. Yea my 308 works out there too but the lower recoil is more fun, cheaper, and easier recoil management for better accuracy too.

+1 on the 223.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Team Savage
    223 if you want cheap, but 6mmBR is the most inherently accurate round I have ever used.

I ran about 50 rounds through my 6mmBR never finding the accuracy, went on 6mm BR site and found an accuracy load, jammed a 105 gr scenar .015, ran loads up from a minimum just to make sure I was not overpressured, and then settled down and started shooting 3/4" groups at 300 yards with NO load accuracy work. Did not sort or weigh the brass or bullets, nothing but just regular loading with a good scale.

Setup was a normal Savage short SS action, Midway Shilein 6mm BR barrel, machined recoil lug, choate stock, SSS trigger, Farrel Steel base, Burris rings and a Nightforce 20-42x scope.

I also had a Savage 7 twist 223 before that and that rifle with Lapua brass and 90 gr bergers would shoot 1/4-3/8" at 100 yards.

ABE_EOD
    I have built a 6mm BR and love the round no recoil to speak of. I feel that the recoil is less then that of a standard military M4, how ever my is built on a Stevens long action in a Savage BVSS stock and a varmint contour barrel. If you wanted a 6mm BR you could always re-barrel one of your .308's and have a complete gun for lees then buying a new one. This is just my thoughts on the subject!

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE_EOD View Post
    I have built a 6mm BR and love the round no recoil to speak of. I feel that the recoil is less then that of a standard military M4, how ever my is built on a Stevens long action in a Savage BVSS stock and a varmint contour barrel. If you wanted a 6mm BR you could always re-barrel one of your .308's and have a complete gun for lees then buying a new one. This is just my thoughts on the subject!
    Yes, that is very true and would save me a lot of money for sure, but I do like the 308's

I'll have to figure out if buying a cheap Savage 308, pulling the barrel, buying a new barrel and buying a new stock is more cost effective than buying a new Mod 12 F class.

I like the 12 series action as if is very ridged but then again it is a single shot so you have a plus and minus there.

wll

wlleven
    Yes, that is very true and would save me a lot of money for sure, but I do like the 308's

I'll have to figure out if buying a cheap Savage 308, pulling the barrel, buying a new barrel and buying a new stock is more cost effective than buying a new Mod 12 F class.

I like the 12 series action as if is very ridged but then again it is a single shot so you have a plus and minus there.

wll
    Well after much thought and a little vodka :-) I decided !

Since I have 308 dies and lots of 308 bullets, it is better I buy a 308, and get a good stock and a muzzle break and have fun, so that is what I did.

Bought a Savage 10FP-SR, and will fix her up.......Pics to follow when done !

wll

dnsmith
    But I'm looking at a gun that I can shoot for a 30 to 50 rounds at a range setting and not kick much
    to me, that's my .308's. Even less recoil is a .223, which can print tiny groups at the range. I will say that I seem to go through .223 ammo more quickly than .308.

You don't need any of this as an excuse to get that 6mmBR, though. Just get it because its a very efficient, accurate cartridge that works great at the range.

rattfink
    I am not a fan of .223 past 500 yards, but it will get out that far.

I haven't shot it but wasn't the 6.5 Creedmore made just for this kind of shooting?

Neo2savage
    Indeed it was, and it does quite well, with factory ammo no less. The design intent behind the caliber and ammo was precisely what motivated me to get a Creedmoor instead of a 300 Win Mag or 7mm. Turned out to be one of my better decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    +1 on the 223.
    +2 for the 223.

racerbob
    6BR will not be my choice for barrel life. Stick with the 223 or 308

Basic Member
    308 would be my first since your ready to go on it. The creed more or 243 would be my next thought. If your shooting off the bench adding weight to the stock would help with the recoil.