Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed to start my reloading addictin

Advice needed to start my reloading addictin

So i am soon going to take the plunge and start reloading. My rifle is a standard Savage 10fp 308. I have never reloaded or etc. also may take a class on it soon. Here is what i have thought of so far. opinions welcome.

I am going to purchase the Lee Challenger Breach Lock Single Stage Kit. Lee #90030

Varget powder.

BULLET... I have narrowed it down to Sierra 168gr match king for target and Sierra 165gr game king for white tail and hogs. Hopeing to get 1 moa or better with each it time.

MANUAL... Since i will be useing Sierra bullets it would make sense to buy the Sierra 5th edition reloading manual. If not that the Lee modern reloading 2nd edition, or Lyman 49th edition. The manual will be bought prior to anything so i can be reading up.

DIES... Either Lee or RCBS. dont know yet

Brass... i have about 500 round of shells from shooting Federal 150gr. softpoint. Does Federal make these or another company?

I have calipers at work. Mitatoyo i think

As of everything else such as primer type, case lenth gauge and anything else im missing, i would like your opinins on. I have a month before i start buying and want to have a good shopping list. I am buying the manual now though. Thanks guys.

Also if it matters my rifle loves the Federal 150 grain 308A in the blue box that walmart sells. I would like to make a load very close to it if possible, does any body know how they make their loads.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Basic Member
    Some of the best powders that have worked well for me in 308: Varget, IMR 4895, Accurate 4064. Quality brass is going to be hard to find right now. My personal favorite is Nosler; again it's hard to find. Lapua makes great brass as well. I've always like CCI primers but I'm also going to be using Winchester large rifle primers. As far as manuals go, don't hesitate to buy them. They have great information about getting started in loading and how to develop accurate and precise loads. I have never bought store ammunition for 308 so I can't tell you about federal. RCBS makes excellent dies. You didn't mention what range you intend to shoot or what you shoot.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Buy both manuals. You can not own too many reloading manuals. Sounds like you have plenty of brass. Primers right now come down to what you can find. Powder is about the same right now. I make a list of useable powders with me every time I go to the LGS. The big thing is take your time and be careful.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

i have read alot of reviews about the winchester large primers and they sound good. I am probably going to get the Varget powder.
    I will use up my current brass for now. i have friends that shoot 308 and they save me their brass also. so may be awhile before i buy new. I will mostly be shooting 100 to 500 yards. 800 is about as far as i can shoot safely on our farm.

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    Buy both manuals. You can not own too many reloading manuals. Sounds like you have plenty of brass. Primers right now come down to what you can find. Powder is about the same right now. I make a list of useable powders with me every time I go to the LGS. The big thing is take your time and be careful.
    I thought about buying both manuals. and for saftey thats my biggest concern. I have one eye and cant afford to have a accident. Thanks

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    The manual "A-B-C's of Reloading" is a good one, too. Easy to read & understand with lots of pictures.

Be advised....
    The reloading addiction / OCD is a powerful one. Stronger than any man's will. It never ends. You start out real simple. A guy at the range says to you "Pssst... Hey buddy. You wanna try some good ammo?"
    It's all downhill from there. Next thing you know, you're taking the kids X-Box to the pawn shop so you can get cash for an annealer. The wife starts to notice missing jewelry and wants to know where all those cans of powder came from.
    You know you've hit bottom when you quit your job, lock yourself in the reload room & no one hears from you for days at a time.
    You look at things & wonder how many grains of IMR 4064 will fit in it.... Like a salt shaker.
    Good luck with your new addiction.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Varget is a good all-around powder for multiple calibers including the 308. start looking now for your powder so you have it when you start to load.

Bruce

Basic Member
    Include Redding in your die shopping list. They are most excellent. Don't forget IMR 4064 in your library of go-to powders. It does very well. If you need more really good brass, go and find some Lake City once fired military brass. It is great stuff and is readily available at decent price. You will not go wrong with Sierra bullets. Berger, Barnes, Laupa also good very but you pay for them. Primers, just stick to a US name brand and you will do fine until you really get addicted. Read read read and don't over-use the internet for advice or information. Much can be misleading.
    Enjoy!

big norm
    My favorite powders for 308 are Varget, RL15, & IMR 4064. Bullet of choice is the Hornady 168gr match although I get good accuarcy with Sierra 168 bthp and nosler ballistic tip. I stick to 168gr rounds, why... dont know.. just where I started...lol as far as dies I am switching over to mostly Lee dies because they don't have that long ass stem sticking out the top of them to adjusting the expander ball depth and you dont need tools to set seating depth. Scratch yourself a few times and you will grow to hate them!
    RCBS makes dies with micrometer adjustments at a greater cost. I like that I can adjust my Lee dies without tools..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk now Free

Quote Originally Posted by big norm View Post
    My favorite powders for 308 are Varget, RL15, & IMR 4064. Bullet of choice is the Hornady 168gr match although I get good accuarcy with Sierra 168 bthp and nosler ballistic tip. I stick to 168gr rounds, why... dont know.. just where I started...lol as far as dies I am switching over to mostly Lee dies because they don't have that long ass
    stem sticking out the top of them to adjusting the expander ball depth and you dont need tools to set seating depth. Scratch yourself a few times and you will grow to hate them!
    RCBS makes dies with micrometer adjustments at a greater cost. I like that I can adjust my Lee dies without tools..

I found a local gun shop that just opend up here in Tn. He has the IMR 4064 in stock, and the Lee loading kit and everything else that i want. i may go ahead and buy the powder and a few things. It is a few bucks more than midway, but i beleive in keeping my money close to home.

Just orderd the Layman 49th edition reloading manual on Ebay. couldnt find one anywhere near me.

big norm
    Most powder manufacturers have some load data on there websites as well... Nosler has there load data in pdf form for download.. you can also download the entire manual

jasta
    Classic well said
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    The manual "A-B-C's of Reloading" is a good one, too. Easy to read & understand with lots of pictures.

Be advised....
    The reloading addiction / OCD is a powerful one. Stronger than any man's will. It never ends. You start out real simple. A guy at the range says to you "Pssst... Hey buddy. You wanna try some good ammo?"
    It's all downhill from there. Next thing you know, you're taking the kids X-Box to the pawn shop so you can get cash for an annealer. The wife starts to notice missing jewelry and wants to know where all those cans of powder came from.
    You know you've hit bottom when you quit your job, lock yourself in the reload room & no one hears from you for days at a time.
    You look at things & wonder how many grains of IMR 4064 will fit in it.... Like a salt shaker.
    Good luck with your new addiction.

Basic Member
    I use Varget in my 308 also Hodgdon has there loading recipes on there website.

There is nothing wrong with the Lee dies I use them and they get the job done

I use the 165 SGK on hogs and they work very well. I do prefer the 175 SMK over the 168's though

The Hornady comparator and and bullet seating gauges would be very handy to have to determine your seating depths

There is a good selection of Lake City brass out there that works good I thought northeast shooter supply had once fired and pull down current head stamp lake city in stock. They even have the Long range non crimped brass now that I look I may go order some!

Good luck with it!

deerandduck
    I'll throw in my 2 cents.... all good stuff so far. I also use Varget for 308; 4064 is just about as good.

As mentioned, you need some type of bullet seating depth gauge ( hornady comparator). IMHO one key to accuracy is consistancy. All reloads must be the same. Same length to the Ogive (probably misspelled). Same case length. Same powder charge, etc. Your process for redoing the brass must be the same for all. Possibly do flash hole deburring (only once needed). You must trim the brass to the same length. All of this is small items but they do make a difference. The real accuracy nuts will weigh each case and group them by weight. For my normal shooting distances (300-400 max) this is not required. I prefer to set up my sizing die to bump back the shoulder about 1-2 thousands from a fired case. Almost like neck sizing but it will give you some clearance in your chamber.
    Good luck and always be safe
    Deerandduck

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    Varget is a good all-around powder for multiple calibers including the 308. start looking now for your powder so you have it when you start to load.

Bruce
    Assuming you can find it. It's pretty scarce yet.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul View Post
    Assuming you can find it. It's pretty scarce yet.
    that's why I said to start looking now, then he will have it when he starts.

I found a what seems like a good 3 set of videos on youtube that goes through beginners instructions of loading a .308. I watched it a few times, it seemed to be very informative. Here is the videos. He also has other good videos. Incase any other beginners want to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZf1fumMyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHWcC__FSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwmQ6Wh44wA

I recommend the Lee Collet Die, combined with the Redding Body Die to bump the shoulder back once in a while and the Redding competition seater die. I've had 12 firings on federal brass with no issues using this method of bumping the shoulder back .001-.002 after neck sizing with the LCD. On Federal cases I get about 4-5 firings before it's too tight for the chamber. Lapua brass is what I recommend for your serious accuracy loads, I can get 9-10 firings before a shoulder bump is required, that is why I don't use the Federal anymore for competition.
    The bullets you have will do excellent I use IMR 4064, Rel.15, AA2495, Varget, and any Large Rifle primer.
    I am happy with my Lee kit .
    With Federal brass and 165-168 bullets 42-43 of Varget should do real well.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 10-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Well couldnt wait any longer and went ahead and order the Lee Challenger Breech lock single stage kit at midway. it was on sale for $119 i put a code in for $10 off. $27 for shipping and a little to the Nra.

Be advised....
    Good luck with your new addiction.[/QUOTE]

I got to laughing at what you said after i sold some Xbox 360 games and stuff to help pay for my Lee Kit. My wife didnt seem to mind either.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You see.

And you guys thought it was a joke. ^^^^^^^
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

davemuzz
    Good post!! Good info and some funny stuff mixed in. (IMR 4064 will fit in a salt shaker box.....sold your X-Box games to pay for you Lee kit!!!....It IS an addiction!!)

But your getting some great reloading advice for the .308 here!!

Dave

I got a quick question. I know a lot of people use tumblers with crushed walnut shell, or media to clean their brass. I have saw videos of people using ultrasonic cleaners to clean theirs as well. My question is, I have access to Large 30-40 gallon Ultrasonic cleaners at my job, they are used to clean aluminum tubing after being brazed. The water is hot "not boiling" in most of them and some luke warm, would I be able to use them to clean my brass or would that not be good for them. I may take a handful and give it a try when I go back in tonight just to amuse myself.

davemuzz
    I have one of the first Hornady ultrasonic cleaners. It does not have a heater in it and does a great job on brass. From what I have read, you only use the heater when you are cleaning parts or metals other than brass. (Don't use the heat when your cleaning your brass) The heat will tarnish your brass and not clean it as well as will cold distilled water. I have no proof of this. I'm just telling you what I have read from the experts that write for the reloading magazines. (Not internet dwebs)

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast