Thread: Will this work? Check out this homemade Rifle Rest

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    777funk

Will this work? Check out this homemade Rifle Rest

I decided I don't care for recoil so I built this. I designed it so that I can clamp it to the bench lightly (two squeeze clamps) get it on target then clamp tight and be right on the money for the shot and let the rest and the bench take all the recoil. There are 4 bolts going through the front and wing nuts fastened to those bolts so the piece of wood the forearm rests in can be adjusted vertically and tightened down when on the mark.

The butt of the stock sits in a V notch and behind the butt rests a stretched piece of tire inner-tube (actually two thick) like a slingshot so that as the rifle recoils it'll strech that and have a little give. Behind the inner-tube is a piece of styrofoam and beind that as the final catch a piece of masonite (1/4" thick). The idea is to stop any recoil so I can shoot 20 rounds without a sore shoulder and also have a very steady/stable rest to let the gun's mechanical accuracy shine at the range.

The front V support has 5/8" heater hose to trap the forearm and hold it secure (also supports the gun to some degree to stop recoil). The front holds the forarm pretty tightly.

Is the design idea ok? Have I broken any established rules for accurate bench shooting?

EDIT: By the way... what good's a homemade project without duct tape! That's to hold pipe insulation over the rear plate 1/4" masonite. It feels more comfy for the cheek, neck, and shoulder.

PLEASE don't feel bad pointing out anything I could be overlooking. I'm a hunter but no pro at shooting from a bench.
    Last edited by 777funk; 10-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.