Thread: Does anyone here reload for 6.8 spc.?

Does anyone here reload for 6.8 spc.?

Just curious.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

I reload 110 Gr. Pro Hunter bullets in my 6.8 SPC II Stag Arms H7 AR Upper, and my 6.8 SPC TC Encore. I'm currently use 2520 but I've been looking all over for some Accurate 2200 to use with 100Gr Accubonds.

Theres a lot of reloading info at 68forums.com

Look through the stickies for reloading Info
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

Team Savage
    Yup

110 gr TTSX - used to - too long.
    95 gr TTSX - great for hogs, also loaded this in 270 win at 3700 FPS.
    85 gr TTSX - A few - good for hogs and deer but I prefer tipped
    110 gr pro hunter - great for deer and small hogs
    82 gr ER cutting edge raptor - great for whatever - blades break off and slice and dice - expensive

Team Savage
    The biggest majority of the loading data out there if geared towards the AP platform. I wanted a 6.8 SPC in a bolt gun so I built one on a Savage action. I went with the SPC chamber rather than the SPC II so I would have a short throat and be able to jam into the lands if I wanted to. 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime are the norm. I started out shooting 90, 100 and 110 grain bullets and will go heavier to reach the lands as the throat wears. Looks like that won't be anytime soon.
    AA 2230 and AA 2460 does the trick. Mid range loads makes the brass last a long time.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

stangfish
    NCM what is your MV.

Thanks for the info everyone--I have to be honest that right now all I have is a stag 5 that I built and so far have just been shooting with SSA ammo. I bought most of what they make including their tactical high power stuff but haven't been too successful with sub-MOA groups so far.

Team Savage
    As far as MV? I don't bother to check. They're all going in the same hole and that's what counts. (for me at least)
    Havn't bothered to drag out my Chrony in years. Might do some checking just so I can satsify other folks curiosity.
    No where close to max loads. I like to leave myself some "wiggle room" in case there's a temperature shift. Brass lasts a long time and no pressure signs EVER. A little holdover with no scope adjustment change and I can hit steel out to 440+ yards. I don't want to mess with a good thing.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    As far as MV? I don't bother to check. They're all going in the same hole and that's what counts. (for me at least)
    Havn't bothered to drag out my Chrony in years. Might do some checking just so I can satsify other folks curiosity.
    No where close to max loads. I like to leave myself some "wiggle room" in case there's a temperature shift. Brass lasts a long time and no pressure signs EVER. A little holdover with no scope adjustment change and I can hit steel out to 440+ yards. I don't want to mess with a good thing.
    It's a question I have in mind too since I got into 6.8 as a way to "bootleg" a conventional AR into realistic hunting capability--though I wouldn't want to take a shot outside 200 yds since I figure the load impact effectiveness drops off rather fast--but maybe that's less of a problem with 110 on down loads?

Team Savage
    Its good to go out to 300-350 yards with the right bullet.
    Its killed Elk and Black bear so its got ump. A 5X Elk was killed with one at about 350 yards in Colo a few years ago. That said ours gets used mostly out to about 100-150 yards.

You should be able to hit 3/4" with the right load, but thats about it with an AR without match components IMO. Mine shot about an 3/4" - 1" and so does the mini.

I chronograh all my loads if you want them, but none are accuracy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Its good to go out to 300-350 yards with the right bullet.
    Its killed Elk and Black bear so its got ump. A 5X Elk was killed with one at about 350 yards in Colo a few years ago. That said ours gets used mostly out to about 100-150 yards.

You should be able to hit 3/4" with the right load, but thats about it with an AR without match components IMO. Mine shot about an 3/4" - 1" and so does the mini.

I chronograh all my loads if you want them, but none are accuracy loads.
    I've often wondered if anyone has "experimented" with longer (higher BC) conventional 270 bullets in a 6.8--I only buy em if they say 6.8 spc -- 270 ?

Team Savage
    HTR over at arfcom and the 6.8 forum has done a lot of experimenting. He is in Tx and sells guided night hog hunts and mostly uses
    6.8 SPC with night vision.

SSA sells a 140 gr Berger load, but mostly the issue with hunting bullets designed for 270 win speeds are the opening and or expansion at lower speeds witht he 6.8 and you have to have the twist for it. Not sure whats recommended for the 140 berger.

As far as killing power for normal game the 95 gr TTSX or the Raptor is about as good as it will get although the raptor BC is not too hot.

Beyond that into the 130 gr range, I would use a non bonded bullet, like maybe one of the tipped non bonded hornady or nosler bullets would work well at slower speeds. Maybe a pro hunter or gameking ??

If I remember right the 5X elk was killed at 350+ yards with a handload with a 110 gr Accubond.

If you go to arfcom to the variants section then click the AR15 Variants: Caliber-specific FAQs section and go down to the 6.8 SPC section you will find the data below. There is a ton of bullet and load info there.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ngData_p01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    HTR over at arfcom and the 6.8 forum has done a lot of experimenting. He is in Tx and sells guided night hog hunts and mostly uses
    6.8 SPC with night vision.

SSA sells a 140 gr Berger load, but mostly the issue with hunting bullets designed for 270 win speeds are the opening and or expansion at lower speeds witht he 6.8 and you have to have the twist for it. Not sure whats recommended for the 140 berger.

As far as killing power for normal game the 95 gr TTSX or the Raptor is about as good as it will get although the raptor BC is not too hot.

Beyond that into the 130 gr range, I would use a non bonded bullet, like maybe one of the tipped non bonded hornady or nosler bullets would work well at slower speeds. Maybe a pro hunter or gameking ??

If I remember right the 5X elk was killed at 350+ yards with a handload with a 110 gr Accubond.

If you go to arfcom to the variants section then click the AR15 Variants: Caliber-specific FAQs section and go down to the 6.8 SPC section you will find the data below. There is a ton of bullet and load info there.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ngData_p01.jpg
    thanks for that.

Team Savage
    All mini 14 with a 18" bbl SPC I chamber 10 twist except as noted.
    Please work up from 10% low.
    All these are on the hot side.
    All SSA small primer brass and CCI BR primers

Some of my handloads
    All at 2.25

82 gr Raptor ER over 29 gr RL7 - 2975 FPS
    95 gr TTSX over 28 gr RL7 - 2800 FPS
    85 gr TSX over 30gr H4198 - 3100 FPS (20" SPCII 12 twist AR15)
    110 gr prohunter over 29 gr RL10X - 2700 FPS
    Last edited by tammons; 10-12-2013 at 10:20 PM.