Thread: First Range Day with my first Savage. Some wins, some losses.

Burdy

First Range Day with my first Savage. Some wins, some losses.

I wrapped up 65 rounds of break in my first week with the gun, then went out to try to put something on paper and sight in the scope. I included a couple of images. The gun shot pretty well. We had gusty winds all day from 6 up to probably 12 mph, so it wasn't the best shooting conditions for my 58 grainers. I am just beginning with long range shooting as this is only the third time I have ever shot past 100 yards. I have attached my 100 yd group and 300 yard group. I actually had a 4 shot 200 yard group that measured 0.65" and a 4 shot 400 yard group that measured 2.18". Somehow, I either lost the target or it is somewhere in my buddies truck, it I locate it, I will put those images up as well.

The gun is cleaning up well (I think) as it is also the first time I have ever broke in a barrel. I used the Sinclair method.

Anyways, on with the issues:
    I have the F-TR stock fitted with the highest cheek piece shipped with the gun...it is still not high enough. Do they make other sizes? I have attached a pic of the rifle.

95 rounds down the tube now and.....5 light strikes. 4 of them on Hornady ammo and 1 on Winchester. ANY advice would be helpful, but the gun not going off is unacceptable.

I also need a bipod...bad.

Hmm... How light is that accu trigger?

Had the same issue but was more frequent....

Basic Member
    Looking really good. How much more do you need the cheek riser raised? I would probably shim it at the point of installation. I got some dummy rounds out when adjusting my karsten and did dry fire drills for a good 20-30min daily until it felt perfect to me. As I got used to it I actually ended up with it slightly lower than I had started it at for a consistent cheek weld.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Burdy
    Slimy, Im not sure to be honest. Whatever it was set at from the factory. It's the Target Accutrigger so it's maximum is 2.5 lb.

Very nice lookin rig!

Basic Member
    Those light 58 grain pills are fine for up to 400 meters or so. In my 243 I’m really liking the 70 grain hpbt Sierra match projectiles. A friend sold me 200 of them and I’ve gotta admit really liking them for up to 600 or so meters.
    What are your goals with the rifle? Maybe we can help fine tune a bullet weight option for your particular application

Team Savage

Problem with posting to old topics (2013) is you don't know if the OP is even following them anymore. In this case, the OP hasn't logged in since Oct 2016.