Thread: Southern Ordnance Bolt Handle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Southern Ordnance Bolt Handle

Greetings Peoples!

I have been doing a bit of a build on a Used model 16 action...

I bought a Southern Ordnance Bolt Handle off Ebay as it said it would fit the 16 Action but only to find it does not!

The 16 has a small "Groove" that allows it to fit and the Handle I bought has no such groove...

Here is a Pic of what it should look like

and here is what mine looks like
    Is this just a change Savage made at some stage or do all Model 16's have this?

Reason I ask is that is says "Model 16" in the Blurb below but clearly does not fit the 16 I have so people need to be aware... and now I have a Handle I cant use!!

Was hoping to get the Factory one replaced as it's really small... and size matters!

stangfish
    What groove are you referring to?
    What is the issue with the fit? Does it not fit on the end of the bolt? Does it not fit on the screw? Cant help if we don't know the problem.

See photo 1 the inside of the part that attaches has a "Groove"... Photo 2 the Inside is Flat....

So, when you put the handle on it stays raised ... hence you can not screw it on and even if you could it would rotate without engaging the bolt....

Basic Member
    Did you try uncocking the bolt and make sure the baffle is all the way forward ? I'm just not seeing why it doesn't work, sorry. You are aliening the bolt lug cutouts with the lugs on the bolt body, no ?
    Last edited by RP12; 10-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Basic Member
    I have two of Southern Ordnance's bolt handles w/knobs on my Model 12s and they fit and work perfectly. I would think if they fit my M12s they would fit any other model also. JMHO. Mike

Basic Member
    Hmm I thought they were all the same I have two of the handles but mine are both on model tens. I thought I remember having to un cock mine to get them on.

stangfish
    How does that groove keep the bolt from being assembled? What is it that makes it not work? Have you taken any dimensional measurements to prove your problem?

If by some chance you noticed the difference and threw in the towel. Try this ...Take the bolt out of the rifle remove the old bolt handle. Push the baffle forward. Place the new bolt handle on the bolt body and turn pushing downward rotate the handle until the notches in the handle align with the keys on the end of the bolt body. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time..

Throw in the Towel?!

No such event happened here!!

I may have however, due to my lack of knowledge, assumed that it would not fit after multiple tries.. I certainly assumed that the machining would be spot on and therefore fit correctly.

I was wrong.

After reading your posts.. I had another go and noticed that the machining was a touch rough. this was stopping it from sliding on correctly.

I filed it down gently with an emery board so as not to get too deep and with a gentle tap we have success!!

Please forgive the "Pencil Barrel"... this is due to become something bigger... But I shall shoot this barrel out first to see if I can develop a load it likes.

Basic Member
    That bolt handle really looks nice with the custom bolt body, great choice.

stangfish
    I see a doubly awesome rifle in the works! Glad you got it worked out Slimy. What caliber is this?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I see a doubly awesome rifle in the works! Glad you got it worked out Slimy. What caliber is this?
    Yeah what caliber is it, also what cartridge is it chambered for ? Sorry I had to, LOL.

stangfish
    Always a wise cracker out there. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Yeah what caliber is it, also what cartridge is it chambered for ? Sorry I had to, LOL.
    I'm glad you did because that is what I meant.

I forgot to mention that I did have to ream out the inside of one of mine also.
    Now he tells us.

Basic Member
    I forgot to mention that I did have to ream out the inside of one of mine also.

hahaha... you guys are mental!

22-250 For now... But as of yet I have not shot this rifle...

I have a few boxes of factory ammo in Various weights including the Winchester 45 Grain Varmint stuff that I am hoping it likes...

I have the same handle on my 110 and it was a tight fit too. Glad you got it together, it looks great.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"

-Thomas Jefferson

Basic Member
    Looks good! What scope rings are those?

Thanks mate.

Leupold Mark 4 mediums and Egw 20 moa mount holding a sightron 8-32*56

I just ordered two of these bolt handles for my two Savages. I love the look of the heavy knob on these even though my current bolt handles are large. One is a SSS bolt handle and the other I'm not sure who makes it.

Anyone know who makes this one with the flat sides?

Last edited by AZ_GUN_NUT; 01-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Basic Member
    Deleted.
    Last edited by RP12; 01-09-2014 at 08:52 AM.