Thread: Ring height recommendation

bow125106

Ring height recommendation

Gun is a savage 11vt. Base is a egw 20 moa and scope will be a mueller 4-14x40. What height rings?? Also any recommendations on some decent rings. Trying to stay on a pretty tight budget and scope will eventually be changed. Also if anybody has some used ones u can reach me at:

bow125106@yahoo.com

rattfink
    Most folks here will tell you Sig Zs. There is probably something to it.

I recently installed TPS rings I found used on EBay for $50. Mediums put the bell of my scope(50mm) .5 inches above the barrel. I have a similar 20 MOA rail.

I shot another Savage this weekend with a 40mm objective mounted on medium Weaver tactical rings and the clearance was about right.

Something else to think of: Make sure the bell will clear the end of the rail with the scope mounted in the position you need. Mine could stand to be a touch lower but I am not sure the bell would clear the rail without shaving it down a tetch.

Williarj87
    Manufactures have different sizes of scope rings. For instance, a set of medium Burris Signature Zee rings in 30mm will be a different size than lets say the Burris XTR rings in medium. The best thing to do is to calculate how tall of rings you need by using this website.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

EGW's website states that their tactical bases are .4" - .45" tall, and their HD bases are .3" - .35" tall. You will need this for your calculation. Also be aware that some manufactures will give there ring height dimensions from the base of the scope tube to the bottom of the rings, and some from the center of the scope tube to the bottom of the rings.

I actually found a set of High Signature Zee's for $45 bucks to mount a 8-32x56mm Sightron SIII and I love them. I also have a 20MOA EGW base. By using this website I have the perfect amount of clearance between the Bell and my bull barrel.
    Last edited by Williarj87; 10-10-2013 at 07:01 AM.

bow125106
    Willar j. Ok i have a 40mm mueller scope. 20moa egw base and plan on using swfa mounts (low) which measure 20.32mm according to th we site....i put in .45 on scope mount +barrel taper height (unsure if that was correct) gun is a savage 11vt which is a heavy barrel...can u check this for me. Im getting a pass but want to be for sure before i order

bow125106
    Ok nm i got a fail. The mediums are 26.67 and get a pass for that

bow125106
    Hmm now im getting a pass with th lows(20.32)

Williarj87
    After I put in the 40mm bell, 2mm for scope covers, .4" (10mm) for the scope mount because you wan't worst case scenario of being too short, and your 20.32mm for the rings, I get a pass with 8mm or .33" to spare. you should be fine with that set up to clear the barrel. My rings would measure 23mm from base to center of the scope tube and I have 3mm clearance. And thats with a 56mm bell.
    Last edited by Williarj87; 10-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.