Thread: Egg shoot scope ?

Basic Member

Egg shoot scope ?

I needed a scope for an egg shoot rifle, and found a Barska 10-40x50 AO target dot for 107.00 shipped. Does anyone have one to give me a review ? I will be replacing it when fund are better, but it will have to do for now. It looks to be ok, but I haven't used it yet. I just wondered if it is "any good". Thanks guys be gentle, I know it's a Barska. (Please no opinions.)
    Last edited by RP12; 09-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Basic Member
    Buy once cry once i wouldn't waste the cash buy used if u need too

Basic Member
    I would look at the Muellers. good for the money and economical!

Basic Member
    the scope is no longer the issue. what to do about guys offering opinions is the issue. lol

Basic Member
    If he doesn't want opinions he shouldn't ask questions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim300wsm View Post
    If he doesn't want opinions he shouldn't ask questions.
    All I wanted was a review from someone that had that scope, sorry I won't ask any more questions.

Basic Member
    You can ask all the questions you have on here but if domeone is trying to help you out or let you know about a much higher quality alternative in the same price range you should be open minded not defensive. There are alot of guys with an unbelievable amount of knowledge. Take advantage of it and trust me when you have a budget trust me used high quality is much better than new low quality

Basic Member
    Yes, Tim your right, but I already have the scope so suggesting another route is to late, we are past that. I just wondered if anyone had that particular scope that could give me the skinny on it. I just wondered if they had any luck with it.

n4ue
    I have a couple of Barskas in my safe and also in my 'spare scopes box'. They are not a Nightforce or USO. However, you will find guys that like them, for what they cost. I have one VERY low end model that I wouldn't use on anything. I also have one similar to yours and it was made by "Famous Maker". How's that for a brand?? ha ha 10-40X56 sf. Probably turned out by the same plant. You see a LOT of similarities between models today....
    It's a monster of a scope and it's pretty darn good as long as you keep the power down to the 16-20X level. Above that they get hazy and the eye relief starts getting critical. I had no problems 'shooting the box' and it always returns to zero.
    I have recently purchased the following, and will do a 'review' when they are all attached to rifles.
    1. Weaver Kaspa....don't waste your $
    2. Redfield Revenge 3-18 AO FANTASTIC scope. clear as a bell, well made
    3. Muller 8-32X44 target scope. Excellent glass , well made. I have some other Mullers as well.
    4.Nikko Sterling Nighteater 6-24X56 SF not arrived yet.

I have been switching all my AO scopes to side focus. Also at my age, I like the larger objectives. In general out of my 28 or so scopes (NO high end) I am VERY, VERY happy with:
    1 Vortex Vipers (now have 3
    2 Millett TRS-1 (got 4 of these)
    3 Millett LRS-1 (35mm tube) have several and just love them. They are huge and take a little getting used to. ha ha

Recently most of the scope companies have started offering lower priced models with off-shore mfg.
    Typically, the really low end stuff is Chinese glass with Chinese tubes and QC.
    Next up are scopes designed in Italy, Germany that use Japanese glass and assembled in the Philipines
    This seems to be a good cost/value scope.
    I remember back in the early 70s I needed a scope for a new Rem M700 Varmint Special in .243 Win. I had a young family and picked an el-cheapo Tasco 20X - 40mm fixed power. All my shootin' buddies really let me have it over that one. 40 years I pulled it out and was absolutely shocked how good the Japanese glass worked in the Japanese tube. Almost hurt my eyes it was so bright!

Make no mistake...the Chinese are fast learners. But by the same token, when a factory tells them to build a $20 scope, that's exactly what will come off the line...... The times, they are a changing.....

ron

JCalhoun
    RP,

The Barska will get you by but I don't know much about them. As long as you know up front that you'll be replacing it I don't think it's a bad plan. Lot of target shooters start of with low buck stuff until they get enough experience to learn the game and what they need to replace it with.

Take plenty of notes and let us know how it does.

Forgive my stupidity, but what is an "egg shoot"? I've seen the term twice now and I need to know! Thanks...Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Forgive my stupidity, but what is an "egg shoot"? I've seen the term twice now and I need to know! Thanks...Brian
    Gun clubs are starting to do them. You shoot eggs at different distances. I shoot center fire at 200 yards. Some clubs set the eggs up and some clubs hang them from strings. It's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Gun clubs are starting to do them. You shoot eggs at different distances. I shoot center fire at 200 yards. Some clubs set the eggs up and some clubs hang them from strings. It's a lot of fun.
    Sounds cool! Thanks! Brian, who sometimes the obvious escapes...
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    They all seam to "scramble" to do it, but the best part is there is no one "poaching" the eggs. I had ta, LOL.