Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: AXIS and EDGE pics

rsh4364

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Elgin - Lemme know how those tactical looking things feel & act when you take them out.

I think I see one or two in my immediate future.

The price is right...
    HaHa Frank I knew once you got your Boyds you would want more..I have 4 savages and 4 Boyds,you should ask if they will give you a deal on a bulk order!

04silvy
    A couple pics that are a little better of the .308 w/ Boyds tacticool

Itsricmo

Just picked it up today!
    Savage Axis Camo chambered in 30-06 Sprg
    Centerpoint 4-16x40 Scope (Probably going to be switched out)

I have been talking to: Jim at Apache Gunworks for a 20" Threaded Medium Bull Barrel; Frank, for (2) 10 round, Long Action Axis Magazines; and Boyds I have been looking at either a Tacticool Stock or Classic in Nutmeg... Maybe you fellas can help me out there on which stock to go with! I hope this goes better than my Stevens build because that sucked and I ended up selling it haha So far both, Jim and Frank, have been excellent to talk to and I can't wait to actually place my orders with both of them and get this ball rolling!

Rick

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Rick - Shoot it with the factory "Flex-O-Matic" stock first.
    After that even strapping the action to a 2x4 would feel good.

Good luck with the new toy.
    30'06 is my most favoritist caliber in the world.
    This week, anyway.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Itsricmo
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Rick - Shoot it with the factory "Flex-O-Matic" stock first.
    After that even strapping the action to a 2x4 would feel good.

Good luck with the new toy.
    30'06 is my most favoritist caliber in the world.
    This week, anyway.
    Thanks, Frank! I had it on my table to try and get a good cheekweld and set the scope up, even tried prone. It feels like that stock is a mile long! I had my scope back pretty far and still had to stretch my neck out. I am sure with some range time I could work something out with it. Not too entirely worried about it with plans to swap it out

Basic Member
    Here's mine 223 booger cut down 17 1/2" and the ugliest green paint u have ever seen.

Team Savage
    Wow , you are correct about the paint

Itsricmo
    Well it is certainly different! lol
    Kudos on the first one I have ever seen like that.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    That's some serious greenish yellow color ya got there, kid. Did you happen to pick that up at Juan's Gun Emporium in the south Bronx?...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 04-07-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

10. 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
    Reason
    duplicate post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Got my last two Axis builds almost finished (just need to decide on scopes for them).

Here are all three of them.
    Top to bottom:
    308 - 20 inch fluted heavy Savage barrel, Weaver 3-15 FFP scope, Leupold rings, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Pepper Laminate Prairie Hunter
    243 - 20 inch heavy McGowen barrel, Burris rings, Leupold bases, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Tacticool.
    223 - 22 inch heavy Savage barrel, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, Boyd's Tacticool (painted grey).

Nice looking rifles. Did you build the longer magazines on the .243 and .308?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remingtonman View Post
    Nice looking rifles. Did you build the longer magazines on the .243 and .308?
    Nope, I got those off a guy on another forum, but he stopped making them.

PM coming your way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Nope, I got those off a guy on another forum, but he stopped making them.

PM coming your way.
    Thanks for the PM. I tried to PM frank but for some odd reason the savage shooters inbox email would allow to send anything to him.

Basic Member
    Dwa, love the paint.

Here my new Boyds tacticool stock.

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by jalmeter29 View Post
    Dwa, love the paint.

Here my new Boyds tacticool stock.

What knob is that? Did you just cut the old knob off and re thread?

Basic Member
    The knob doesn't work. Its an entire handle for a 110 but no primary extraction so I'm changing it back to the stock handle. Found it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by dwa View Post
    Here's mine 223 booger cut down 17 1/2" and the ugliest green paint u have ever seen.
    Did it shoot any different after you had the barrel shortened?

Basic Member
    No still shoots great

Itsricmo
    Hypothetically, it should shoot better or the same after cutting the barrel, correct? (so long the crown was done properly)

Itsricmo
    I am in so much trouble haha

Jalmeter29's photo of his Tacticool makes me want that one soo bad but the Prairie Hunter in Pepper Laminate is also screaming my name!
    Awesome looking set up by the way! Too bad the 110 Bolt won't work.. Can you just swap out the Axis bolt with a 110 bolt and be done? (Im assuming not but thought id ask)

Basic Member
    You cam bolts on any 110 handle and it cycles but its hard to extract a spent case because there is no primary extraction. I didn't trust it so I'm back to the factory handle.

My brother has the prairie hunter in pepper. Much prettier stock overall than the tacticool. But i love the geometry of the tacticool. He shot 2in group at 400 last week in the 243. And mine got a 3.5 in at 500 with the 223. Love the axis. Why bather with any other gun. Booth are steel pillar bedded, glass bedded and free floated.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=jalmeter29;260146]You cam bolts on any 110 handle and it cycles but its hard to extract a spent case because there is no primary extraction. I didn't trust it so I'm back to the factory handle.

My brother has the prairie hunter in pepper. Much prettier stock overall than the tacticool. But i love the geometry of the tacticool. He shot 2in group at 400 last week in the 243. And mine got a 3.5 in at 500 with the 223. Love the axis. Why bather with any other gun. Booth are steel pillar bedded, glass bedded and free

That is some good shooting. Are both of the axis rifles mentioned above factory rifles? What load land bullet are you shooting out the rifles?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jalmeter29 View Post
    You cam bolts on any 110 handle and it cycles but its hard to extract a spent case because there is no primary extraction. I didn't trust it so I'm back to the factory handle.

My brother has the prairie hunter in pepper. Much prettier stock overall than the tacticool. But i love the geometry of the tacticool. He shot 2in group at 400 last week in the 243. And mine got a 3.5 in at 500 with the 223. Love the axis. Why bather with any other gun. Booth are steel pillar bedded, glass bedded and free floated.
    That is some good shooting. Are both of the axis rifles mentioned above factory rifles? What load land bullet are you shooting out the rifles?

Basic Member
    Yeah both axis 223 and 243. Factory barrel. Boyds tacticool on 223, Prairie hunter on 243. Acutrigger on 223. Booth with ss10x42 scopes. Booth pillar and glass bedded. Some minor trigger work done to the factory trigger on 243.

223 likes the 53v-max 3175fps 26.5gn varget. 243 likes 87gr vmax I think he's using h4841

californialove
    [IMG][/IMG]

conorem1

Here's mine. Chambered in .308

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast