Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AXIS and EDGE pics

Basic Member

Very nice Frank! Looking good!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Thanks Elgin.
    Already packed up & ready to head out to the swamps for the obligatory trial run. I can already hear my 'ol lady yapping about them being too heavy, cheek rest too high, grip too fat, color is doesn't match her boots, camo scheme is off for this time of year....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    Outstanding

drybean

Nice looking at the pictures and info. It will help when I add some furniture to my 308 Axis.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Basic Member
    Thanks Jim.

And Mr. B52 - Try a little reinforcement in the barrel channel & some weight in the butt end. You'll like your Axis a whole lot more. Granted, it doesn't equal a good stout stock but a few mods to the stock will change the way it feels quite a bit. I was reluctant to change out these two after all the modifications I did to the original wiggle wobblers. They served & performed well in the few years I used them but now, with a nice piece of lumber under the action it feels like an expensive rifle. I just hope they still shoot as well as they did before replacing the stocks.

rsh4364
    Look great! Really like that bolt handle on your 25-06!

Basic Member
    This is what the bolt handle on the .308 used to look like. The one that Jim calls my turd flusher. Its a toilet flush handle from an antique toilet I removed during a remodel I did a few years ago. I saved it all these years thinking I'll use it some day...
    I didn't like the chrome so I got out the big file, grinder & went to work on it. It's solid brass so it worked out pretty easy. I squared it up, a little flat black paint and what you see is end result.

The bolt handle on the 25.06 was made by a former member (stangfish) of this site. He did a really nice job on it. Like nothing I could buy anywhere. The extra sharp angle & length make it real easy to chamber a round quickly.

Hi RkzShockwave, I would like to know if you tried your rifle out before and after you put on the muzzle brake? Did it affect the performance any? Nice look you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by RkzShockwave View Post
    My Axis as of yet...

.308 WIN
    Timney Trigger (1.5-4lb)
    EGW 20 MOA base
    Burris Tactical Rings-Mid
    SWFA 10x42 Mil/Mil
    Kahntrol Solutions Bolt-on Muzzle Brake

USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Hi-wall

My .223 and the Boyds Prairie hunter in Pepper. First kill at 200 yds

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Y'all convinced me to join the club. After being a die hard cheap rifle advocate, I decided to spring for a couple of those $99 stocks offered by Boyd's. I like plain & simple so I went with 2 of the Classic in woodland camo. Nice stocks. Made to fit nicely except for the fat barrels which took me all of 45 minutes to open up with my Dremel & a piece of 100 grit wrapped around a 1" pipe.

First one is my Axis .308 -

I believe these stocks have renewed my love for the Axis. We'll be going out to the swamp this weekend for an official test & tryout.

Hey Frank LOOKING GOOD!! I'll have to get one for my AXIS as well!

I have a Tacticool for my Mod 110's....now to dress up an AXIS!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

lopeha

MY .223 with Boyd's stock

My .223 just finished with initial build. Rifle is stock, haven't even shot it yet. Just go the base mount in the mail today & mounted the scope, a Nitrex TRE-1 (3x9-42) with a Boyd's Prairie Hunter in Nutmeg. Plan to get it out shooting next weekend.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by lopeha; 03-22-2014 at 07:55 PM.

lopeha
    Duplicate post

Hi-wall
    Went out early this morning before the wind got up. Wanted to do some load development for the .223. I am going to swap to a 16x scope as 10 just isn't enough for these old eyes

rsh4364
    Gun looks great,all my scopes are high power because of my old eyes..I also love seeing the green grass,none up here yet!

04silvy
    Am i first? Here it is wearing a boyds tacticool...
    Sorry for the terrible pics...i only had about 10 mins to throw it on there before i had to leave. Ill get some better ones later

rsh4364
    That looks great,can you post your scope choice,scope mount,and ring height? A jeweled bolt inlayed in black,and a tactical bolt handle would look very cool! Is it a 308?
    Last edited by rsh4364; 03-28-2014 at 06:59 PM.

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silvy View Post
    Guess ill share mine...just threw it together last night

Truly a "budget" build. No high dollar parts here but i think it will still be a fun paper puncher/ steel ringer. The axis truly is a nice entry level bolt gun. I handled a few different makes along with some other savages. The action felt just as nice as any of the others. Trigger is somewhat heavy but i dont think its terrible (but i am a noob). Stock on the other hand...pretty flimsy. I can rock the whole barrel assembly back and forth a quarter inch or so when sitting on the bipod. Might stiffen it up like others have or go with boyds (hopefully they make a tacticool soon). Also not going to mess with the trigger untill i put some rounds down range. Overall very happy with the price. Here is a parts list and total for anyone that cares.
    Axis SR .308 - buds guns $307
    Barska 10x40 varmint- midway $89
    EGW 0 MOA base- Optics planet $29
    3" and 5" sunshades - optics planet $20 both
    Caldwell bipod-midway $23
    Weaver med rings- wally world $10
    Muzzle brake- ebay $24 (kinda looks like a cross between JP and Miculek brake)
    Custom 10rd mag- built by a friend
    Total parts listed - mag ....just over $500

Plans..
    Shoot it
    Trigger job
    Maybe bolt knob
    Paint and stiffen stock or Boyds stock
    No problem man. There is honestly nothing expensive on my rifle. Have no idea if the scope will be ok or not. Its pretty clear bu**** just a cheap barska. Havent shot it yet with it on there. I will tell you this thing feels really nice now with the new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 04silvy View Post
    Am i first? Here it is wearing a boyds tacticool...
    Sorry for the terrible pics...i only had about 10 mins to throw it on there before i had to leave. Ill get some better ones later
    Is it a synthetic stock or are all Boyds stocks wood

little squirt
    New to the club, just joined the Savage family! Axis .308

I can't stop staring at it! hahahahaa where do i find those larger mags??

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy318 View Post
    Is it a synthetic stock or are all Boyds stocks wood
    As far as i know all Boyds are wood. The tacticool has a textured finish on it.

And RSH ..a tactical bolt handle is already planned. I would love a jeweled bolt as well. SSS still doing them?

rsh4364
    Yes,Sharp Shooter Supply still doing them.

Basic Member
    Got my last two Axis builds almost finished (just need to decide on scopes for them).

Here are all three of them.
    Top to bottom:
    308 - 20 inch fluted heavy Savage barrel, Weaver 3-15 FFP scope, Leupold rings, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Pepper Laminate Prairie Hunter
    243 - 20 inch heavy McGowen barrel, Burris rings, Leupold bases, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Tacticool.
    223 - 22 inch heavy Savage barrel, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, Boyd's Tacticool (painted grey).

Last edited by Elgin; 03-30-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Basic Member
    Elgin - Lemme know how those tactical looking things feel & act when you take them out.

I think I see one or two in my immediate future.

The price is right...

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Got my last two Axis builds almost finished (just need to decide on scope for them).

Here are all three of them.
    Top to bottom:
    308 - 20 inch fluted heavy Savage barrel, Weaver 3-15 FFP scope, Leupold rings, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Pepper Laminate Prairie Hunter
    243 - 20 inch heavy McGowen barrel, Burris rings, Leupold bases, Accu-trigger, extended knob, extended mag, Boyd's Tacticool.
    223 - 22 inch heavy Savage barrel, Warne rail, Accu-trigger, extended knob, Boyd's Tacticool (painted grey).

look awesome where you get those fluted bolts?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    look awesome where you get those fluted bolts?
    Had them fluted by Longrifles Inc. They're super quick, prices are great, and they are excellent people to deal with. I highly recommend their work. They've fluted all but one of my bolts (had to get at least one SSS fishnet fluted bolt.)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast