Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AXIS and EDGE pics

dxjxrose

fgw_in_fla

Thank you kindly

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    And another one has been bitten by the proverbial Axis bug.....

Welcome to your new addiction.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

bnizzel2000
    heres mine

2111 Marine
    here's mine but it is nowhere finished yet ,still alot of modifying to do !!!

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2111 Marine View Post
    here's mine but it is nowhere finished yet ,still alot of modifying to do !!!

I think you have your bipod on backwards...? I think i have the same bipod (caldwell?) The directions show it going on the other way. the other pics ive seen of this style are flipped the opposite way with legs folding forward. But then again im a newb so maybe it doesnt matter?

Looks good regardless..actually there are a bunch of sexy guns in this thread.

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silvy View Post
    I think you have your bipod on backwards...? I think i have the same bipod (caldwell?) The directions show it going on the other way. the other pics ive seen of this style are flipped the opposite way with legs folding forward. But then again im a newb so maybe it doesnt matter?

Looks good regardless..actually there are a bunch of sexy guns in this thread.

Bipod has since been remounted to fold towards the muzzle !!

04silvy
    Lol..i guess even newbs can help out from time to time. You actually had me wondering...i had to look it up myself.

2111 Marine
    here's it now with the bipod folding forward and my nice new Witt Machine Muzzle brake installed ,going to be so much moe fun to shoot now with less recoil but the people next to me at the range will hate me with a 20 percent more louder muzzle blast LOL!!

new hunter

That's mine. Its a 308.

cap10pd
    Did you get that Left Hand stock from Boyds are did you modify a right hand.....Was told from Boyd that Left Hand would not be available for axis until today....I just did order the FT today.....looks nice

Here is my .223

04silvy
    Guess ill share mine...just threw it together last night

Truly a "budget" build. No high dollar parts here but i think it will still be a fun paper puncher/ steel ringer. The axis truly is a nice entry level bolt gun. I handled a few different makes along with some other savages. The action felt just as nice as any of the others. Trigger is somewhat heavy but i dont think its terrible (but i am a noob). Stock on the other hand...pretty flimsy. I can rock the whole barrel assembly back and forth a quarter inch or so when sitting on the bipod. Might stiffen it up like others have or go with boyds (hopefully they make a tacticool soon). Also not going to mess with the trigger untill i put some rounds down range. Overall very happy with the price. Here is a parts list and total for anyone that cares.
    Axis SR .308 - buds guns $307
    Barska 10x40 varmint- midway $89
    EGW 0 MOA base- Optics planet $29
    3" and 5" sunshades - optics planet $20 both
    Caldwell bipod-midway $23
    Weaver med rings- wally world $10
    Muzzle brake- ebay $24 (kinda looks like a cross between JP and Miculek brake)
    Custom 10rd mag- built by a friend
    Total parts listed - mag ....just over $500

Plans..
    Shoot it
    Trigger job
    Maybe bolt knob
    Paint and stiffen stock or Boyds stock
    Last edited by 04silvy; 02-20-2014 at 02:37 PM.

rsh4364
    Looks great,I also have an axis .308,reg.barrel right now but a do have a S/R barrel for it with a Miculek brake.Really like how you listed scope,mounts and ring height,Helpful to others.I was lucky enough to catch a good sale at Boyds and got a prairie hunter stock for $45.My next upgrade gonna be a trigger.

04silvy
    When did boyds have their prarie hunter for $45!?!?! And how did i miss this???

rsh4364
    It was 12-19-13,only color choice was applejack,but I like it.Also got a thumbhole for my 93 .17HMR for $40.It was a happy day! Same day I ordered the pepper thumbhole for the Edge in 223..3 Boyds for less than $200.

Where can you get the S/R barrel? Do you have to get it from Savage?

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    It was 12-19-13,only color choice was applejack,but I like it.Also got a thumbhole for my 93 .17HMR for $40.It was a happy day! Same day I ordered the pepper thumbhole for the Edge in 223..3 Boyds for less than $200.
    I gotcha. Thats why i didnt see it..lol. i would have taken any color and probably just painted it. It sucks boyds charges extra for unfinished or i would go that route.
    And thanks for the kind words btw. i try to include everything because i know everything is a learning process. Might keep someone from searching around if they end up with a similar combo.

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy318 View Post
    Where can you get the S/R barrel? Do you have to get it from Savage?
    I got mine second hand from a fellow member here,and it was way cheaper than getting fact. barrel cut and threaded,spend the $15,join up and post a WTB add in classifieds..I have already saved way more than that amount..

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silvy View Post
    I gotcha. Thats why i didnt see it..lol. i would have taken any color and probably just painted it. It sucks boyds charges extra for unfinished or i would go that route.
    And thanks for the kind words btw. i try to include everything because i know everything is a learning process. Might keep someone from searching around if they end up with a similar combo.
    I was laid off and looking at their site everyday,I thought I would paint it but once I put it on loved it,and GF said you are not painting that ..HaHa.

04silvy
    Edit: Wrong thread
    Last edited by 04silvy; 02-21-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Basic Member
    Yes I'm waiting fir Boyds Tacticool for the axis too.

Basic Member
    Y'all convinced me to join the club. After being a die hard cheap rifle advocate, I decided to spring for a couple of those $99 stocks offered by Boyd's. I like plain & simple so I went with 2 of the Classic in woodland camo. Nice stocks. Made to fit nicely except for the fat barrels which took me all of 45 minutes to open up with my Dremel & a piece of 100 grit wrapped around a 1" pipe.

First one is my Axis .308 -

Next one is my Axis 25.06 which is my second favorite next to my beloved 30.06. This is the one that's boring to shoot. The bullets always go thru the same hole...

I believe these stocks have renewed my love for the Axis. We'll be going out to the swamp this weekend for an official test & tryout.

dxjxrose
    Looks awesome frank

Basic Member
    Thanks DJ. I can't wait to try them out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast