Thread: 308 cartridge length with 150gr TTSX ?

wlleven

308 cartridge length with 150gr TTSX ?

I just bought a Hog Hunter and pick it up next week. I purchased 150gr Barnes TTSX bullets for my first venture into reloading for a 308, and just got once fired LC brass from Hi Tech Ammunition.

My question is what is the OAL of this combo for those who use this bullet. I can use as much reloading info from Savage shooter as I can ;- )

I know that you should load them .050 off the lands, so I'm just looking for a starting point. Do you crimp in the last groove, or on the shoulder itself ?

Thanks for your input.

wll

pitsnipe
    wll,

I have loaded this bullet into my .308 and put it .030 off the lands. Where (how close or far) it is (or any bullet for that matter) would depend on how accurate it is at that distance and if you care to single load because the chosen OAL is too long for the mag (blind or DBM) As for crimping, why would you in a bolt gun? A solid neck size of .3065 to .307 is enough to hold against the recoil of the heaviest od magnums from what I have seen. So well, that if you change your mind on the load you have cooked up and care to start over (ask me how I know this LOL) that using an inertia bullet puller takes several good whacks on a very solid surface to get that bullet out of the case. And if I were to crimp that bullet, I wouldn't on one of the machined grooves. As they are very deep, and the crimp could be too tight, and your chamber pressure could be unsafe, powder charge taken into consideration as well.

Snipe

stangfish
    Last edited by stangfish; 10-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    wll,

I have loaded this bullet into my .308 and put it .030 off the lands. Where (how close or far) it is (or any bullet for that matter) would depend on how accurate it is at that distance and if you care to single load because the chosen OAL is too long for the mag (blind or DBM) As for crimping, why would you in a bolt gun? A solid neck size of .3065 to .307 is enough to hold against the recoil of the heaviest od magnums from what I have seen. So well, that if you change your mind on the load you have cooked up and care to start over (ask me how I know this LOL) that using an inertia bullet puller takes several good whacks on a very solid surface to get that bullet out of the case. And if I were to crimp that bullet, I wouldn't on one of the machined grooves. As they are very deep, and the crimp could be too tight, and your chamber pressure could be unsafe, powder charge taken into consideration as well.

Snipe
    Thank you, the crimping was a post I had read about the Barnes 130gr TTSX, and I did not know if the 150gr needed it.

I have loaded 30-06, 22-250, 223, 6TCU and 25-06 and never needed to crimp, but these bullets are a new adventure to me.

wll