Thread: When moving to a different batch powder...

Nandy

When moving to a different batch powder...

I did that this week and had some interesting findings....
    I use the same powder (rl-19) for my 7mm RM and my 30-06 and ran out of the old powder in the middle of "new" development. So i end up tweaking the powder and both calibers had to get a larger load by .6 gr. The speed is also faster, I was expecting to see that stayed about the same.
    Now, have you guys found the same results?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Yes, its why when changing or using another lot its wise to reduce the charge and work back up.

Here is the original bar chart I made while working up the load for my 270-08 Imp using Varget.

Notice there are two bars each for the 44 and 45 grain loading. The first what was left in a one pound can, the second from a new 8 pounder. BTW, they were shot in about the same timeframe, the same day using the same brass, lot of bullets and primers.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I don't ever change batches; I keep a 8 lb jar topped off by making a running blend as often as I can get powder for those which are used most. So far for Varget and RL15 I haven't had issues as before this practice.

Basic Member
    well this is all very interesting especially for those so motivated to gather this stuff.
    ive always been impressed as to why say 1/2 gr. increases in powder charges
    show no change in impact point when testing new loads.
    ive watched varmit class benchresters load at matches. some rely on their good powder measure to throw
    accurate enough charges. when i ask why they didnt weigh charges i was told small
    differences are meaningless. more important to have even weight bullets and matching cases.
    so if your getting say 100 rounds from a pound of powder whats the best approach when youve loaded
    90 rounds then your out of that lot number?

Nandy
    charlie, I have read about that before. I have been hesitant to try it because I worry that I wont be able to get all the loads to have equal parts of the powder so to speak. Is like if I have a bucket with a pound of red skittles and 4 ounces left of green skittles, I try to mix them then star pouring it in 4 oz cups. Im sure the amount of green skittles in each 5 cups will be different but you are not the only person that does this and works... I guess skittles and powder are not a good comparison... lol! Good stuff guys, keep it coming!

Basic Member
    bill is your bar chart an average velocity for several shots at each charge?
    i mean 20 to 30 fps varieation between shots isnt desirable but not uncommon either.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    bill is your bar chart an average velocity for several shots at each charge?
    i mean 20 to 30 fps varieation between shots isnt desirable but not uncommon either.

They were four round averages at each charge weight.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    I don't ever change batches; I keep a 8 lb jar topped off by making a running blend as often as I can get powder for those which are used most. So far for Varget and RL15 I haven't had issues as before this practice.
    I,d planed on doing just that at one time but I didnt get the chance to refill/blend my 8lb Varget jug when the crisis hit....thats what i get for thinking about it and not doing about it......
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    My manufacturing work dealt with the need to blend raw materials in order to make quality products, which is a tried/true procedure. Yes you do need to insure good blending, but it will smooth out the highs and lows of individual batches; like our government you need a lot of agitation!

pitsnipe
    OK, But what about the agitation I get from GOVERNMENT? I digress........ I "mix" by pouring the little into the new. Then pour that back into the empty. Back and forth a few times. Hopefully the green ones get mixed in well enough. So my next flyer will be blamed on "the green one" that wasn't mixed in well enough LOL :)

Snipe