Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

fsr402

Quote Originally Posted by jhawk60 View Post
    I believe those plugs cover reinforcing screws.
    reinforcing what? Seems like opp spots for that. Don't recall seeing them on other stocks.

They're called cross bolts and essentially reinforce the stock directly behind the action screws. Helps distribute the recoil energy over a larger area of the stock which helps to prevent the stock from cracking.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod13113.aspx

They're even standard fair on the Savage Classic Series rifles

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jasta
    Well I got my stock and fitted the action.............. When I torque it down the safety stops working and the bolt won't close down all the way. Bugger!
    I've sent Jen an email but haven't heard back yet.....

Jen, please when you can, get back to me!

Cheers

Jason

Lostcoast
    Jasta, sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with your stock... bummer.

Is the weight that you listed above for the Classic or the Prarie Hunter stock? What is the weight of your rifle with the stock on it? Thanks and hope all works out with your stock.

jasta
    Thanks m8

Its the Prairie Hunter stock, I only did the stocks without action so if you weigh your action that should get a idea.

At the moment I'm on notice to vacate my house due to the bushfires that we are having here in Australia, so I'm somewhat on edge.. All my firearms are safe at a mates place so I'm lucky there. Would be nice if Jen gets back to me as fast as she has for others.

Cheers

Jas

Quote Originally Posted by Lostcoast View Post
    Jasta, sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with your stock... bummer.

Is the weight that you listed above for the Classic or the Prarie Hunter stock? What is the weight of your rifle with the stock on it? Thanks and hope all works out with your stock.

Lostcoast
    Thanks for the reply, Jas. I don't own an Axis yet which is why I am asking about the weight.

Good fortune to you with the fires - may they skip your place altogether. I also live in wildfire country and have been on notice like yourself a few times - no fun..

jasta
    Thanks for your kind words...

According to Savage the Stainless rifle is 6.5lbs so if we do the math here and going on my weights from before its about 8.5lbs with the Boyds stock.

I'm a metric kid so if I stuffed this up ..... I'm sorry.

Cheers

Jas

Thanks for the reply, Jas. I don't own an Axis yet which is why I am asking about the weight.

Good fortune to you with the fires - may they skip your place altogether. I also live in wildfire country and have been on notice like yourself a few times - no fun..
    Last edited by jasta; 10-23-2013 at 06:51 AM.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Jas,

Sorry for the delay in response - you will be receiving an email shortly outlining what will need to be done, unfortunately you did receive one of our prototypes. I will also send you a PM here on SS detailing the next steps. Again, my apologies for the delay in response and we look forward to clearing this up quickly.

Best Regards,

Jen
    Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    Thanks m8

Its the Prairie Hunter stock, I only did the stocks without action so if you weigh your action that should get a idea.

At the moment I'm on notice to vacate my house due to the bushfires that we are having here in Australia, so I'm somewhat on edge.. All my firearms are safe at a mates place so I'm lucky there. Would be nice if Jen gets back to me as fast as she has for others.

Cheers

Jas

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Unfortunately, we do not offer youth stocks at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Our standard pull I is 13.75". Depending on which model you order, the butt can be shortened by either you or a gunsmith. We do not modify our stocks prior to shipping. Please let me know if we can be of further assistance!
    ~Wendy

Lostcoast
    Thanks, Jas.

Wow 8.5 lbs.. with a scope and rings and sling that would make the rig right at 10lbs - like the Ruger M77 I am selling because of .... it's heavy weight.

Boyds, is there any chance of developing a slimmer, lighter weight stock for those of us who want a wood stock but also want a rifle light enough to carry far afield on the hunt?

Thanks, Jas.

Wow 8.5 lbs.. with a scope and rings and sling that would make the rig right at 10lbs - like the Ruger M77 I am selling because of .... it's heavy weight.

Boyds, is there any chance of developing a slimmer, lighter weight stock for those of us who want a wood stock but also want a rifle light enough to carry far afield on the hunt?
    Not a lot of places you can cut/save weight on a Savage Axis or 110. One just has to face it...they're a bit hefty and you just have to live with it. You can save a few ounces here and there on individual components (plastic trigger guard, aluminum bases and rings, lightweight scope, etc.) but they are what they are. Just look at all the metal that Savage had to machine off the bolt and receiver of the Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter, and then they still had to usea bunch of plastic bits to get it down to 5.5 pounds naked.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

phoenixjim
    Finally ordered my stock on the 16th (hated having to wait like that). Unfortunately for me, the site even said there would be delays. Still no word on when my stock will be shipping, but I can't wait to get my hands on it. For the Boyds rep on this site, order number 33822

Hopefully I'll be getting mine soon... looks like I may finally be moving in the next week or 2.

Sent my prototype stock back as requested by Boyds. They said they would overnight a replacement. Sent the stock back Monday and no replacement stock yet.

ironmk
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixjim View Post
    Finally ordered my stock on the 16th (hated having to wait like that). Unfortunately for me, the site even said there would be delays. Still no word on when my stock will be shipping, but I can't wait to get my hands on it. For the Boyds rep on this site, order number 33822

Hopefully I'll be getting mine soon... looks like I may finally be moving in the next week or 2.
    Ordered mine on the 11th and still waiting for it to ship ): We must have wiped them out!

cerich
    Arrived and fits perfectly. Very happy with the stock. The butt pad is a little disappointing, in fact it's worse than the one savage put on the stock stock. The rest of it I am VERY happy. The fit was perfect, no adjustment of any sort needed, literally plug and play.

It looks much better in person than the pictures, the red is RED the black more black

ironmk
    Looks very nice, just recieved my shipping notification a few minutes ago!! Mines on its way WOO HOO!! (: Now to save up for some really good glass in the near future..

fsr402
    How is the reach to the trigger? I don't have mine put together but just holding it I think it may be a bit long for me. I don't have small hands but they are not large either.

cerich
    no problem for me.

cerich
    I just got a follow up call from Boyd's to see if I was happy with the stock. AWESOME customer service!

fsr402
    I just got the same call. Could not tell them much since it will be a month before I can swap the stocks.

jhawk60
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmk View Post
    Looks very nice, just recieved my shipping notification a few minutes ago!! Mines on its way WOO HOO!! (: Now to save up for some really good glass in the near future..
    I'm glad yours is on the way, they look like nice stocks. I ordered mine on the 10th (the day before you) and mine still hasn't shipped.

Fatalis
    To bed or not to bed...that is the question...

jasta
    Couldn't send mine back as USPS wanted me to open an account in Oz and pay.. HELL NO! Boyds came to the party after I sent them an email asking what I can do. All they wanted was photo of the stuffed one cut in 2 as proof of death. New one on its way.

BIG THANKS TO BOYDS

cheers

Jas

Axis270

Thumbs Up

Hi fellow Savage Shooters! I'm a newbie here and will update my profile shortly. I just wanted to voice my gratitude to Jen and Wendy for their excellent feedback. I ordered my FT Thumbhole in Pepper on the 11th and after being informed of the few snags that Boyds have experienced with the initial stocks, I have been assured that in their efforts to expedite the order backlog, there will be no compromise on quality. I bought my Axis about a year ago and have been waiting since then for Boyds to address the only real drawback of these rifles. I guess I'll just have to be patient for a week or two longer, which is not a big deal considering I've already waited for a year. Safe shooting and happy hunting to All!

Axis270
    Well, well, what do you know? An hour and five minutes after my post above, I received a shipping notification from USPS with tracking number etcetera. At this point it is just an electronic notification from Boyds to USPS as it still shows "awaiting shipment" on my account information with Boyds. To me it screams: "Your stock is ready and waiting for collection from USPS!!!" Well done Boyds! Two weeks is not at all bad, considering the problems that needed ironing out. Now I can only hope that it will be of similar quality as the other 3 stocks that I bought in the past. Now I remember what it felt like a week or so before Christmas, when the Big Box under the Christmas tree had my name on it and all I had to do was wait, wait and the wait a little more.
    Safe shooting and happy hunting to All!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast